Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • HI-FI chat
  • Merak

I have a lovely Teac mini hifi system I bought many moons ago. Its great but I have no need for the CD player/tape analogue radio since the I-pod came along.

I plan to move hi-fi to another room. I would like to get a new system ideally I would like a dock, amplifier/speakers and a digital radio. I’m not interested in the big bucks side of separates, well I am but I just cant afford it! think more of a (low) budget build.

Could anyone suggest something that might fit the bill?

Cheers

5lab

budget?

quite a few players in the market. I think cambridge audio and denon both do things that fit the bill

bobbyg81
    Free Member

How much are you thinking?

Something like this is great VFM

http://www.richersounds.com/information/hifisystems

hifi system 3(swap cdp for a dock) or mini hifi system 3.

If budgets really tight, hifi system 1 would be good if you swapped the speakers for some wharfedale diamonds or monitor audios. RS are usually quite accomodating.

ourmaninthenorth

I have a Vita Audio R2i, which gets pretty close to what you’re after

It’s never going to sound as good as the hifi I have elsewhere in the house (and now hardly ever use), but it’s neat and dinky and ticks the boxes you’re after.

It also has line outputs, so you could always run it into another amp and your existing speakers.

Merak

Yeah, those kind of deals are exactly what Im after, just no digital radio though.

Also, say my budget is £250 tops what kind of sound quality will I get?

Merak

ourmaninthenorth

I was trying to still get that ‘big’ sound rather than a dock but yeah I see what your saying.

grantway
    Free Member

LG All In One System+ 1 for Richer Sounds Bought this for our place in Spain
    Brilliant sound and watch Blu Ray DVD’s and i am fussy !!!

Merak

^Looks a bit movie specific.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Decent speakers will probably make a big difference in your situation, there’s a lot around SH (in fact I have some Rega Kytes I may flog, they go for £60, once sold at great value for £200)

In fact get a dock (pretty cheap? £30 odd?), a decent SH amp (£80?) speakers (£60) and your radio (£80?) and it’s **** all over any all-in-one box (no offence OMITN) and I’d guess anything new from RS.

EDIT: you do know how important proper speaker positioning & support is?

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Push your budget to 300 and buy the denondm38 deal. You can jusy hook your ipod up with a cable instead os a dock. Unless your spending a good deal more, there’s no need for a dock except for aesthetics. Mind you the Cambridge audio dock is only 20quid!

ourmaninthenorth

it’s **** all over any all-in-one box (no offence OMITN)

Absolutely none taken..!

I’m a big fan of good hifi (Arcam, Quad + Linn at home for me), but my day-to-day listening in the kitchen is my little Vita that Mrs North bought me. Ideal now that we have a baby – not sure she’ll mix well with floorstanders..!)

EDIT: I ought to add that the Vita isn’t all that bad, given how tiddly it is. From the chaps at Ruark….

Merak

I have a dock already that connects via monster cable to my hifi, don’t know if that would make any difference?

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Like cynic-al says SH would open up a world of better gear. You’d get a cracking Arcam/Monitor Audio or B&W system for £250.

And you need speaker stands. They are essential unless you want any speakers to sound like shit.

Merak

cynic-al

EDIT: you do know how important proper speaker positioning & support is?

I do but space is at a premium, mores the pity. I have stands too!

grantway
    Free Member

Merak – Member
    ^Looks a bit movie specific.

Na believe it or not it is really really great
    for music you select clear voice, you hook up an hard drive or a usb stick
    also via phone jack at the front you can hook up the I pod what my Daughter uses
    then you have the internet streaming CD/DVD player and plenty of connections
    at the back and only for £ 149.99p Bargain

Plenty of clear vocal volume and NO speaker vibration at all.

Merak

cynic-al I have some Rega Kytes I may flog, they go for £60,

I may well be interested in these, 2nd hand might be the best option for me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well my email is in my profile, and I will sell them, just hadn’t got round to advertising them. They are black Ash veneer – a little tired cosmetically but I can get them like new for you!

They are a slightly dry, lively revealing sound – should work well near walls, much better than those plummy B&Ws…

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    EDIT: I ought to add that the Vita isn’t all that bad, given how tiddly it is. From the chaps at Ruark….

It’s good for what it is for sure – I used to work for Ruark, they are good guys….I’ve just bought some Icons…I engineered them 16 years ago!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘HI-FI chat’ is closed to new replies.