Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • House buying – negotiating
  • NZCol

It’s nz dollars mind so not real money 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

I think the best way forward is to go in with the 150k and an arm full of reasons to explain why you’re not going to pay 170k. You are not part of a chain and can exchange contracts today, that a 160k house has a new 20k kitchen, that the other higher priced houses have better spec, better location, that the house you want will need 30k spending to bring it up to the spec of the other, etc.
    You are, I fear, going to have to do some (home)work to get the 20k discount you’re looking for.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I’m looking for a 13k discount, not 20k. The fact that is was up for £169 initially makes no odds IMO – it didn’t sell or attract enough interest at that price.

donsimon
    Free Member

You could try substituting 20k for 13k then, but the idea’s the same. Equally it’s quite difficult giving advice without knowing the vendor as different people react differently to suggestion when it comes to money and properety valuations.

NZCol

What something is advertised for and what it sells for are often completely different despite what agents try and tell you

hels
    Free Member

People do fool themselves about what their house is worth. Confusing value with what they paid or the number on their mortgage. If they are motivated to sell they will take your money, if they aren’t then they won’t.

The longer it has been on the market the better for you. As an example, the house next to mine was up for £148k and attracted not one single viewer in 3 months, and this is straight from the owner so more fact than rumor. The house next to next door, and exactly the same, sold for £110K and the sign was up for about 3 days.

ART

MRanger, stick with what you’ve decided; it’s perfectly sound and reasonable in the current market. To you the house is worth what you can [sensibly] afford. If the vendors reject it then, as you say leave it on the table and carry on looking. If they need to sell, then they will probably come back to you, if they can afford to sit it out and think they may get better, well fine. Either way your position is clear. It’s a silly game this house buying stuff, but you will get there in the end!

donsimon
    Free Member

As an example, the house next to mine was up for £148k and attracted not one single viewer in 3 months, and this is straight from the owner so more fact than rumor. The house next to next door, and exactly the same, sold for £110K and the sign was up for about 3 days.

That could be down to an agent problem though, the first agent who tried to sell mine couldn’t supply any viewings in the first week, not surprising as they didn’t have any printed literature for people to take away. The second had everything in order except for a crap photo and as a result no viewings, a change of photo, 1 viewing and one sale. And also who’s to say that 110k wasn’t too low a price?
    A little too complicated to have a definitive answer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our neighbours house was up at £290k last year. They eventually sold it this year for £240k (they had a deadline to move to the new house)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My neighbours flat is up for sale – I desperately want to buy it. Asking £260 000, 1 view no offers in 6 months, won’t accept £230 000.

hels
    Free Member

Don Simon – I spoke to the owner when I saw her (rental flat) and asked her how it was going. They won’t sell for less than they paid for it was her response, when I queried if perhaps the price had put people off.

lump

As an estate agent a lot of what has been said is good points. But my advice would be go and view some other properties and put in some silly offers. There are a real shortage of buyers out there and if they don’t want your money some one else will. Dont go jumping in on one of the first houses you fall for. Think of it as a business decision and separate your self a little.
    If this is the house for you. Then go back for a second viewing before you put in another offer with the agent not the vendor. And rip the place apart, make notes on every thing that will need to be done and then your going to cost them up to be sorted. Get the closer price from the agent, some times though they will not know the end price the vendor is after.Then wait for them to chase you !

richc
    Free Member

Depends on lots of factors, but essentially if you want to play hardball with the price, be prepared to lose the sale.
    You can say, I will *not* go over 150K but if they have a mortgage for more than that, they aren’t likely to accept your offer.

As for the BS that it’s a buyers market; from personal experience* it might be if you aren’t that picky. However if you are, then lack of decent properties definitely evens the field out, as if you miss a good one you could have to wait months for the next decent one to come along especially considering the time of year, and the fact that most people are sitting tight, just incase.

* In the last 2 months, I have sold 2 flats, and bought 1 house, both flats sold in < 48 hours for over the asking price; due to the lack of decent properties around. Viewing started at 7am, first offers were in by 9.30am, just to qualify my opinions

donsimon
    Free Member

Don Simon – I spoke to the owner when I saw her (rental flat) and asked her how it was going. They won’t sell for less than they paid for it was her response, when I queried if perhaps the price had put people off.

I don’t know about here, but that’s of the main reasons the housing market in Spain is stagnant. They’d be better off taking it off the market and waiting for prices to increase, as you said people have problems when it comes to valuing property.

ChrisA
    Free Member

i still think you really need to get to the bottom of why the vendor is selling. Have they just found somewhere else they like and are moving? Have they split up? Are they in a rush to move?

If they bought the house for £175k i can totally understand why they don;t want to sell it to you for £150k unless there is a definite reason why they need to move / sell.

If they are moving to a new property, if they can chip their vendr by £13k its all relative, if not, i wouldn;t sell it for £150k either. 8-10% might not seem unreasonable to you, but if you were circa £25k in negative equity, you might not be able to afford to sell it for that either.

Persoanlly, i would be prepared for them to say no and find something else. You never know, they might come back to you in a few weeks.

hels
    Free Member

Well it seems a waste of time to try and sell a house unless you actually want to sell it !! They did take it off the market in the end, having kicked out a perfectly good tenant and lost 9 months rent.

Another house in my street (terraced so they are all the same, and I always have a nosy at the ad) went for £120k after a couple of months, so the £110k was a bargain but they obviously needed the money, and actually wanted to sell the flat, not just waste a few peoples time with unrealistic expectations, not to mention making one of the local firemen homeless.

gsp1984
    Free Member

They may just be testing the market.

Another factor may be, that buying around that time they MAY have managed to get a 95% or 100% mortgage… or worse, at a rate of 5% or 6%. The chances are they may have only paid of £10k or less of what they borrowed. They will have a minimum they can accept before they are in negative equity.

2007 was a really shit time to buy!

MRanger156
    Free Member

Just to clarify that it was actually the house next door (the attached, identical) that sold for £175 in 2007. The current owner of the one I want paid £125 in 2004 ish. They are both recently built houses and identical in every way.

They rented it out and I’m guessing they are not desperate to sell but do want to hence lowering the initial asking price.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We bought our house for 101k, asking price was 115k so I think it’s possible that you’ll be able to get it at 150k but as others have said, a lot depends on the vendors and their reasons for selling.

Our first offer was rejected, when I made the second offer I emphasised our position as first time buyers, various work that needed doing, recent sale prices of more or less identical properties. EA asked if it was the max we could afford, I told them it was the max we were willing to pay for this particular property, offer accepted same day 🙂

thekingisdead
    Free Member

If that’s your maximum, tell the agent, and leave the offer on the table.

Took the vendor of the house I bought a few months 6 weeks to accept my offer, a couple of times i nearly buckled and went back with *another* offer, but Im glad I held firm.

If anyone else puts in another higher offer, the agent will ring you, as they will want a bidding war.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

i bought my first house back in june

was on the market for 118000 no takers so they reduced it to 112000 (the house valued at 115000)

I went to see it and my advisor had told me earlyer in the year that as i was a first time buyer with secured finance that any house i liked regardless of the “offers over – Fixed price” guff to simply offer 10% less than the figure

i made an offer of 100000 and the seller asked for an extra 500 quid, im guessing as a token gesture and the house was mine. now happily moved in a loving the new life

house was on the market for 3 months before first price reduction and then a further 3 months till i bought it

and these are real scottish pounds im talking about!!

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

+1 for RichC.
    ll the hype about it’s a buyers market has not been true for me. Been trying to buy a house (any house, any condition, wide area, realistic budget, currently renting a room in a shared house, large deposit) and every house has been overpriced because the sellers won’t sell for less than they paid at top of the market. I have made 8 offers and each one has been for more than the Zoopla value.
    Every one has been rejected, even after me increasing my offer in some cases.
    Every one of those houses is still unsold more than 3 months later. One had been for sale, empty, for two years! In every case the agent has been calling me almost daily to pressure me into increasing my offer, despite there being no other offers or any interest.
    Sellers are just refusing to sell and prefer to sit on their properties.
    In the end I have found somewhere and given the vendor what they wanted, just to have the whole hideous process over with!
    So my advice is, if you see one you like and the vendor looks like they won’t mess you about, try to meet them half way. Once you’re in your house and happy, hopefully you won’t regret it.

petrieboy

Tell the estate agent if you get it for £145 then you’ll let them sell you a mortgage (let them do a quote & apply for you) estate agents are mercenary and the prospect of another grand in commission will have them advising the vendor that 145 is a great price in no time.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Thats not a bad shout petrieboy. They have tried to advertise the mortgages they can offer.

bamboo
    Free Member

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk

See the above for some useful stats. Perhaps offer 145k again, and based on the Land Registry info of a current rate of decline of 2.6%/year in average prices, state that your offer will be reducing at a rate of ~900/month (~2.6% a year on 160k).

There are plenty of other houses out there. Vendors should start getting real! 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

estate agents are mercenary and the prospect of another grand in commission will have them advising the vendor that 145 is a great price in no time.

Hmmm, kinda against the law though!

ziggy
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to buy, loads of offers rejected, I’ll keep putting them in though. Give it another year or so hopefully sellers will become more realistic!

The reality is house prices won’t go up for a decade, wages are lagging behind inflation, houses have to get cheaper as we have less disposable income.

If it was me I’d be looking to offer them lower or the same in a couple of months time.

TiRed

6-8% below the asking price is a fair offer, and I accepted just such for a proceedable cash buyer in 2010. You are in a strong position. Tell the agent that 150 is your maximum. We did this when we bought and, after three months, the sellers accepted our offer.

richc
    Free Member

There are plenty of other houses out there. Vendors should start getting real!

However from personal experience, there aren’t a lot of *great* houses out there; so if a vendor has a decent one then its worth hanging on. If you aren’t that picky, then the advice about making a silly offer might work.

Chasing a bargain is fair enough, however if it means that you buy something you don’t ultimately want, its going to cost you a hell of a lot more in the long run.

The reality is house prices won’t go up for a decade, wages are lagging behind inflation, houses have to get cheaper as we have less disposable income.

If only that logic held true. It might up North, but in the South I doubt this is going to happen (mind you everyone is an expert). Again from personal experience; the place I sold increased in value by 22% in the last 5 years. Good places always sell easily and make money.

Hence its worth investing a bit more for the right place; as if the property has been on the market for months/years when you are buying it, it will more than likely have the same issues when you come to sell it, unless you are going to invest a lot of time and money to get over its shortfalls.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Offer in – 150k, final offer. The EA said they thought this would be too low and I doubt it will be accepted. If not ill offer again in a months time if its still available.

In the meantime the search continues.

highclimber
    Free Member

my top tip: never believe an estate agent when they ‘suggest’ prices of properties to you. they are working for the Vendor, not you.

offer what you think is a fair price and take into account EVERYTHING in your offer – Items that need attention in the house, Legal, surveys, moving etc.

ART

If you get this place it will feel like a STW collective purchase, invites will be necessary! 😉

MRanger156
    Free Member

Feel free to chip in for the deposit.

*Update*

The EA mortgage advisor rang me to ask ‘qualifying’ questions’. At least they seem to be taking this offer more seriously. Fingers crossed.

5lab

ahh watch out for that. If you talk to their advisor its for 2 things

1 : to get comission from selling you a mortgauge
    2 : to figure out how much money you have to spend and push for that much

get an agreement in principle from a lender, for the figure you need the mortgauge for, and take it in.

MRanger156
    Free Member

£150k rejected.

hels
    Free Member

Will the vendor not make a counter-offer ? That is what happened when I bought my house, I put in a cheeky offer, they came back higher we met in the middle – job done !

(I said you should offer £148k !!)

Anyway good luck with the search, must be frustrating.

theotherjonv

never believe an estate agent when they ‘suggest’ prices of properties to you. they are working for the Vendor, not you.

Theoretically but in reality they are working for themselves.

Say they’re on 2% commission, on a sale of 150K that’s £3,000. If they can push you to increase to eg 152,500, that will get them an extra £50 in commission. Really worth an extra month of go-betweening / risking the sale and having to start again from scratch? Or would you rather have the £3000 today?

They’ll do their best to get the best price possible in the shortest timescale, imho.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MRanger156 – Member

£150k rejected.

Never mind. Unrealistic sellers – there is a few around. Remind the estate agent of your offer when its still not sold in Feb.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Anyway good luck with the search, must be frustrating.”

And this is why I said pay up and be happy.

Sorry but you have been/are getting lots of one way advice… there’s always another side.

“The reality is house prices won’t go up for a decade, wages are lagging behind inflation, houses have to get cheaper as we have less disposable income.”

This is undoubtably true if the only buyers of UK housing was it’s population. But just like any other market its free and it’s open which means its becoming increasingly globalised…. Whole blocks of flats, in london, are being snapped up off plan by over seas buyers.

I realise that a Chinease soveign wealth fund is not going to be interested, with respect, in 170k worth of house but it’s only a matter of time before their actions start having an effect along the whole of the housing market price range.

We’ve been selling out our companies to foreign buyers for years, for example how many Premiership football cubs are UK owned? What makes you think that the global market will stop investing in “cheap” Britain and buy everything that it’s nailed down.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Pay up and be happy is only really an option if you’ve got a big cash deposit. Most first time buyers will be relying on a mortgage, the bank aren’t going to lend more than the house is ‘worth’ just because you really really like the house.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘House buying – negotiating’ is closed to new replies.