Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Here comes the wind!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Gusting like hell already and absolutely pissing down. Just hearing the west coast may get 80/100 mph gusts 😯
    Bet davina’s loving riding in this lot!

Stoner
    Free Member

power already down in deepest darkest Worcestershire. Might just be our hamlet, might be half the vale. Cant tell yet. Running on batteries at the moment.

Keep getting the odd spike of electricity so Im guessing that there’s a line break somewhere with momentary contact – unless a switch gear is going nuts. igm would know

bigjim

quick, find a tv crew and say how angry you are that the EA have failed to stop the wind!

IdleJon

A school here in Swansea is closing early because of the wind:

“Following a risk assessment, it has been decided to shorten the school lunch break by 25 minutes and to finish the school day at 2.30pm for pupils.

“Overall teaching time is unaffected and lessons will be of normal length.

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused, but feel that these actions are in the best interests of the pupils.

“Any pupil waiting for a lift and who cannot change that arrangement should attend the school’s Main Hall, where teachers can supervise them until 3pm.”

Reading between the lines it seems that the teachers are disappearing early whether the kids can get home or not?

Hohum
    Free Member

95mph gusts being reported down on the south coast of Devon already.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It should have been through here (Lahndahn) this morning and blown through by 15:00.

Getting slightly concerned about my commute now, even though I’ll be wearing the marvellous:

hammyuk
    Free Member

average is 62mph here, gusts over 80mph…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sheltering in Somerset. Again.

globalti
    Free Member

Does that Altura jacket fold small enough to fit in a jersey pocket?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m considering abandoning my shedoffice while it’s still standing 😯

rwc03
    Free Member

That was horrible, worst rain and wind I’ve been in for a while in London. Wimped out and got the train.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You want to fit a jacket into a jersey?

I didn’t know they came with pockets.

dashed
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member
    A school here in Swansea is closing early because of the wind:

“Following a risk assessment, it has been decided to shorten the school lunch break by 25 minutes and to finish the school day at 2.30pm for pupils.
    “Overall teaching time is unaffected and lessons will be of normal length.

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused, but feel that these actions are in the best interests of the pupils.

“Any pupil waiting for a lift and who cannot change that arrangement should attend the school’s Main Hall, where teachers can supervise them until 3pm.”

Reading between the lines it seems that the teachers are disappearing early whether the kids can get home or not?

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they’re taking note of the Met Office severe weather warning which is red for chunks of Wales (danger of loss of life etc), whilst also trying to accommodate parents who may not be able to collect their kids early at such short notice.

Seems very sensible to me.

dawson

Whilst not in the worst affected parts of the country, my 10 year old daughter is supposed to be doing a Bikeability thing at school today – I wouldn’t fancy taking a group of 10 year olds out in today’s weather!

footflaps

I thought Cameron was now in charge of the Wind as EA obviously can’t control it and was sorting it all out for us?

IdleJon

dashed – Member

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they’re taking note of the Met Office severe weather warning which is red for chunks of Wales (danger of loss of life etc), whilst also trying to accommodate parents who may not be able to collect their kids early at such short notice.

Seems very sensible to me.

Afraid not. It’s horrible windy here but it’s an amber warning for this area. The Met Office website is predicting a change in wind speed of 2 mph between midday and 3pm. A difference of 8mph in gusts (53 – 61mph).

Will closing 30 minutes early make any difference at all other than causing disruption for those parents who pick their children up? (“Sorry, got to leave work early – school’s closing because it’s windy.”)

And for those children who make their own way home, with their own keys? Is the implication that they wait until 3pm anyway, then walk home, seemingly in the worst of the weather, or that they are allowed out early without their parents having any knowledge of where they are?

MrOvershoot

I’m really sorry, I promise not to make anymore soup this month.

Perhaps the sprouts were an addition too far??

Carrots, Celery, Peppers, Broccoli, Spring Greens, Sprouts, Green Chillis, Garlic = very windy 😉

Sue_W
    Free Member

Red Weather Warning now issued for North and West Wales – hurricane force winds / severe gales up to 100mph. Expecting widespread structure damage, road closures etc.

Already pretty bad here in Snowdonia but due to get worse in the next few hours – stay safe out there folks.

ElShalimo
    crikey
    Free Member

Here’s my top tip of the day; don’t try riding from east to west over the Pennines. The wind is so strong it actually picks your bike up. Plus, it’s a bit parky what with the rain turning into sleet.

Ow…

brakes
    Free Member

which way is the wind blowing?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Trees at 45 degrees outside!!!!

brakes
    Free Member

crikey.
    it appears to be southerly and as I’m travelling North, hopefully I’ll get some PBs on Strava!

IdleJon

ElShalimo – Member

latest wind observations

Thanks a lot! A big red arrow over the school I’m arguing about! 😳 😆 I give up, that’s not going to do my case any good.

92 mph gust recorded a couple of hours ago at Mumbles, a few miles away.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Hmmm, ride home should be fun tonight…

flybywire
    Free Member

pictures of them trees thm ?

portlyone

Rumours that Manc Airport is about to close due to the winds

footflaps

Rumours that Manc Airport is about to close has blown away due to the winds

CountZero

Gusting like hell here in North Wilts, and we had an absolute cloudburst at 2.45, practically like fog, you could barely see through the rain. The whole building sounds like a square-rigger at sea, creaking and groaning like the whole roof’s going to come off! 😯

tomkerton
    Free Member

It would be very unusual for MAN or any other airport to close due to the wind. The only situation where this may happen is if the ground staff will not/are to allowed to load bags/re-fuel/operate the steps. The wind is blowing straight down the runway at MAN today so would be a diversion airfield for BHX and LBA which both have strong crosswinds today, forecast above several of the common aircraft’s crosswind limits. I would certainly be thinking of MAN if I was returning to BHX this afternoon.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Red Weather Warning now issued for North and West Wales – hurricane force winds / severe gales up to 100mph. Expecting widespread structure damage, road closures etc.

Quite windy a bit further south. All sorts of stuff blown over, gate catch broken, several branches down, the door mat just went by my window and the dog got blown over trying to cock his leg.

wrightyson
    Free Member

108mph recorded in Wales now 😯

woody2000

Not looking forward to the ride home at all! Pavements and side streets all the way I reckon!

allthegear
    Free Member

So the planes at MAN will be landing into a really strong headwind? Blimey, they will have to slow the travelator right down or the wheels will be going backwards as they touch down!!

Rachel

Klunk
    Free Member

averaging 75mph on the LLeyn peaking at 104mph @ 17.00 according to the met office map

was at 81 average an hour ago !

tomkerton
    Free Member

Rachel – yes. The aircraft will be able to land into 60 or so mph winds as a headwind but only around 10 mph of tailwind. The limit for a crosswind is around 40 mph.

As for the travelator…. Reminds me of the film Airplane!

Garry_Lager

That’s tonight’s MTB ride parked then.
    Missus has just phoned and says the M6 is closed Knutsford – M62 – I guess that’s Thirlwell? Doesn’t sound like fun. She’s having to drive back to Manc from Liverpool via Runcorn and the m56.

Moses

The Clifton Suspension bridge was reported as closed because of winds, for the first time ever

oldboy
    Free Member

The Clifton Suspension bridge was reported as closed because of winds, for the first time ever

I wonder what Brunnel would have thought about our health & safety police.

crikey
    Free Member

I wonder what Brunnel would have thought about our health & safety police?

Probably that stopping people from dying is generally thought of as a good thing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Here comes the wind!’ is closed to new replies.