Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help:etrex legend hcx
  • the_pilot
    Free Member

Can I save multiple routes on an sd card on this unit or I guess more than one SD card?

I am trying to decide between this and the standard etrex H, thee being £60 difference.

I'm not so fussed about the mapping per se, city navigator could be useful sometimes in the car, more that it would be useful if, as me and my wife both ride, more than one route could be held on the card/unit so it did not always have to be connected to the PC.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

You can store up to 50 routes with up to 250 points on each on a Legend HCX without needing to install an sd card. I have easily held up to a dozen routes on my unit. It's only recently that I've installed an sd card, and that was to hold some mapping software, better than Topo, but not quite up to OS standard, and that needed 2mb, otherwise I'd not have bothered with a card.

the_pilot
    Free Member

Thanks for that, worth going for this unit for me then I think.

abductee
    Free Member

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=143&compareProduct=8705&compareProduct=8701

H
    20 routes 125 waypoints per route 500 waypoints total

HCx
    50 routes 250 waypoints per route 1000 waypoints total

I programmed several routes into my Legend prior to a weeks riding in Yorkshire, Northumberland and Scotland and it ran out of waypoint memory so I wouldn't be wanting any less. If you are doing 1 all day ride then 125 points is not likely to be enough. Someone else posted on here about using tracks instead of routes so you may be able to find a way round the limitation but it's a feature issue not a memory limit. If the model has an x then it will take a micro SD card but the memory is more to do with storage for mapping data than routes.

The Legend HCx will do road navigation and automatic route calculation but if you are in a car it would be better to get a garmin nuvi as the whole unit would probably be not much more than the mapping software for the Legend at £55. The nuvi will talk to you whereas the legend will just beep when you approach a turn. If you are on a road bike however it could be a good feature with 25 hrs battery life.

I have the talky toaster free topo mapping installed and find it reassuring to be able to deviate from the planned route.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

It's the talkty toaster mapping that I put on mine. Not sure what abductee's connection with them is, but he publicises it a lot, and it's good, and free.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help:etrex legend hcx’ is closed to new replies.