Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A possibly stupid plumbing / washing machine q
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

We are about to get our garage knocked down and moved. Our washing machine is currently in the garage and will go back in the garage when it’s finished. Can we temporarily plumb it in to where the sink was in the downstairs toilet (also about to be redone) while they’re doing the garage so we’re not without a washing machine?

Stoner
    Free Member

yes.

you need a washing machine fller tap on the cold water feed – easy compression or push fit – (assuming single feed) and you can connect the WM waste to the old basin waste – although you may need to elevate it.

Digimap
    Free Member

Not forgetting that the water in the trap in the sink waste is the barrier between you and the bad smells so you might want to leave most of that intact or cap it off.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Marvellous, thank you 🙂 Much better than 6 weeks of laundrette trips!

Stoner
    Free Member

compression fitting

pushfit

mrsflash
    Free Member

Do you want to come and do it for us stoner? 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

‘you need a washing machine fller tap on the cold water feed – easy compression or push fit – (assuming single feed) and you can connect the WM waste to the old basin waste – although you may need to elevate it’

also worth putting a jubilee clip on the connection between the waste pipe and the basin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You may need a hot water feed too?

Jubilee clip may be needed, depends on what fitting is there at the moment. I’m running mine straight into the waste out at the moment, no p-trap or anything. Crazy!

mrsflash
    Free Member

I *think* we only need a cold water feed, fairly sure that’s all we’ve got in the garage. I will investigate later.

yossarian
    Free Member

most/some washing machines heat water themselves, it tends to be older ones that need both feeds.

Harry_the_Spider

Mrsflash. Now that your plumbing is sorted would you be so kind as to judge the Knobbly Knees contest?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singletrack-knobbly-knees-contest

mrsflash
    Free Member

I shall be right there Mr Spider 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Jolly good. I’d go for the thin ones with all the cuts.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I’d go for the thin ones with all the cuts

that was pretty much all of them!

squin
    Free Member

You don’t even need to do any plumbing or turn the water off. B&Q sell a washingmachine/dishwasher tap that screws onto an existing water pipe. As you screw it on, it punctures the pipe to draw the feed. I’ve used them a couple of times and they are brilliant, you have an extra tap in seconds and they never leak. With the waste, just zip-tie the waste pipe to a sink tap so the waste just pumps into the sink bowl- you don’t need to go replacing pipes etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A possibly stupid plumbing / washing machine q’ is closed to new replies.