Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help with routes around Bath please?
  • reevil
    Free Member

Moving to Bath soon & wondered if anyone had any hints towards routes; cheeky or otherwise!

I’ve looked at the OS map, but there seems to be a lot of footpaths, but an absence of bridleways.
    I like my xc routes to start from my door & head out without needing the car.

I know I’d love a route which rides off-road to Ashton Court, round the singletrack & back again, but any pointers in any direction would be great.

I know where the nearest trailcentres are, but are there any cheeky trails in woods nearby?

I’ve got a 120mm HT which I currently use to put miles in on the South Downs.
    I’ve got a 160mm FS which I use, with full face & pads, to have fun – Stoughton DH & Rogate DH.

MrAgreeable

Riding round Bath is really a case of linking up the fragments of good stuff with eye-popping road climbs. Your best bet is probably to hook up with the Bath MTB Wednesday night ride. I think they meet up at 6.30 outside Avon Valley Cyclery next to the railway station.

Off-road to Ashton Court is a fair old way (about 12 miles?). You could go over Lansdown, drop down to the railway path via Upton Cheyney and spin the rest of the way to Bristol but your patience might give out before your legs!

DanW
    Free Member

I asked the same thing not too long ago 🙂

Bath MTB?

Browns Folley has some pretty technical riding to make a 1-1.5 ride out of the centre of Bath. That would be a good start. Do you have GPS I could send a map to?

There are lots of other nice sections around by the looks of it just more road to link it all up than I was used to in South Wales 😉

Your best bet is to get in touch with Dave who replied to my previous topic. They have a group ride on Wednesday evenings and would more than likely be happy to show you around.

DanW

phil.w
    Free Member

I think they meet up at 6.30 outside Avon Valley Cyclery next to the railway station.

Unless they’ve moved (i’ve not been for a while) round the back of the station and over the foot bridge. But yes, 6:30 wednesdays.

llama

take a look on strava for (nearly) all the best bits, they are nearly all segments, should be obvious how to link them

MrAgreeable

Browns is always mentioned like it’s the best place to ride around Bath, but bear in mind it’s a local nature reserve and very popular with walkers. The Cheeky Trails code definitely applies.

ART

Browns is always mentioned like it’s the best place to ride around Bath, but bear in mind it’s a local nature reserve and very popular with walkers. The Cheeky Trails code definitely applies

This.

DanW
    Free Member

Apologies all. Only been in Bath a couple of weeks so my knowledge is limited.

From what little I have gathered around Bath I think the Cheeky Trails code will almost always apply 😉

reevil
    Free Member

Thanks for your help guys.

The distance to Ashton doesn’t bother me; I have a 45 mile loop across the South Downs to my the cheeky singletrack at my local(ish) woods, around & back again.

I want to get miles in as I intend on doing the SDW in a day next year.

I had a poke around on Strava, but could only find road routes. Probably looking in the wrong place! I’ll spend a bit more time on it.

I was looking S/W of Bath-trying to link things to Ashton. The OS map makes N/E of Bath look interesting?

reevil
    Free Member

DanW – Member

Browns Folley has some pretty technical riding to make a 1-1.5 ride out of the centre of Bath. That would be a good start. Do you have GPS I could send a map to?

Thanks for the offer but I don’t GPS I’m afraid; I’m still in the dark ages with paper maps!!

MrAgreeable

Some of the BWs around Englishcombe are worth investigating, but for continuous routes with a minimum of road, the North West is better. A good route is up from Weston Park to Kelston Round Hill, then down to Swineford via North Stoke. Or you can carry on up past the racecourse and make it more of a loop, something like this:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bath-MTB-Weds-Night-21-7-10-Lansdown-Looops-With-xtra-looops

reevil
    Free Member

Thanks fella, that’s a great starting point.

Appreciate the help. 🙂

transapp
    Free Member

As above, lots of Bath trails are cheeky. Stickman often has a go at blocking them but there normally no worries rolling over them. Browns, back of the uni, heading up the valley toward pipehouse and over into Wellow are good areas, happy to show a few trails (albeit at a slow speed!) if you want. I live on bear flat and almost always ride from the door.
    If I do go further afield, the Mendips are 30mins away (but the mud is pretty awful), Ashton court for all weather and then South Wales is reasonably close, but you can be in the Quanticks in the same time and they are stunning.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What’s happened to pipehouse after all the rain?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

transapp
    Free Member

Actually I don’t know. I think I’ll visit in the coming week to find you. I’ll post on this thread when I do

awh
    Free Member

Getting eroded again. Give it until Christmas and I think it’ll be back to normal. What a total waste of money.

transapp
    Free Member

‘Find you’ above should actually have read ‘find out’ sorry it sounded stalky!

Glad pipehouse is returning though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help with routes around Bath please?’ is closed to new replies.