Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help with a bee's dying
  • gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I have a nice bee's nest / hive? in my garden, it's in a hole in the ground. The trouble is i keep finding them dying, they seem dis-orientated and slow and then they die 🙁

I've noticed a lot of ants hanging around the top of the hole, i've thought of putting ant powder down but i'm worried about harming the bee's?

Any suggestions?

MrNutt
    Free Member

call your local bee keeper?

cheese@4p

Let nature take care of it's self

Harry_the_Spider

T##t them with a slipper.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Isn't there some virus that is effecting honeybees, and they are declining in numbers?

Agree with getting advice from a beekeeper, but doubt they'd want to take any bees for fear of infecting their hives.

I'd assume the ants are just feasting on the unfortunate bees.

U31
    Free Member

As an asside, can you still buy those kits that provide a habitat for the threatened mason bees?
    They were like a large group of long thin card tubes of the kind of size the mason likes to live in if i recall?

SteveRW
    Free Member

Hi

You need to leave them alone. Even though it's still summer for us, bees are starting to get ready for winter about now as their food supply (nectar) has all but dried up which means their numbers will dramatically drop off.

Steve

sc-xc

Take them to the hosbeetal. In an ambeelance. Get a doctor t perform surgerbee on them. etc

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I'll just leave them bee then….

Cougar

Another problem solved by the STW hive mind.

ourmaninthenorth

Will no-one think of the apostrobees?

Coyote
    Free Member

Pot? Kettle?

Now fill them both with boiling water and tip down hole. Ant problem solved and a rich reserve of beautiful bee soup to drill for.

takisawa2

Behave you lot.

JulianA
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    Beehive you lot.

Fixed it for you.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

On very nice days they often work themselves to death gathering pollen

fadda

Ourmaninthenorth – see what you did there…

geoffj

You could put out a saucer of sugar solution for them – no this isn't a wind up. They sometimes need an extra bit of help with feeding, especially if there are few flowering plants around.

http://www.beverleybeekeepers.co.uk/test/page8/page40/page62/page62.html

anagallis_arvensis

if they live in a hole in the ground they are very unlikely to be honey bee's. If they were honey bee's there'd be thousands of em

ChrisE
    Free Member

If they are in a hole in the ground they're not honey bees but proabably bumble bees of which there are 100+ types. Leave them alone, there's not much you can do for them.

Chris (three of our collonies started laying last week) beekeeper.

anagallis_arvensis

Fairly sure there were 20ish types of bumble bee in the UK a number of which are extinct now, best thing to do is plant some good nectar source flowers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help with a bee's dying’ is closed to new replies.