Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help – what new wheels/fork for my 04 Enduro
  • Offpistejon
    Free Member

I need to replace my 7 year old wheels (marin hubs/223? rims) and was thinking of Crossrides (15mm) and 15mm lowers for my old talas (80-125mm)for a bit more stiffness and finally get rid of the canti bosses(!). Use is xc, is this a sensible option is there a better way? Also can you get 15mm hub or adapter on pre 09 Crossrides?

AlasdairMc

Stick some Pikes on, Hope Hoop on the front and build something for the back. That's what I did and I don't regret it for a second.

clubber
    Free Member

I'd go for something like Pro2 hubs with a mavic rim to suit your riding – 717 if you're really more of a jeyboy (though they're actually suprisingly strong), then something like 521 if you do a bit more of the lumpy stuff.

That way, you can use them with your current fork but convert to 20 or 15mm at the front if you change fork to a bolt through one.

steve-t
    Free Member

Mine's built up with '10 bolt thru Revs, and Mavic 719 rims on Nuke Proof hubs. Does me a treat on S Wales woods / hills / cheeky trails etc. The 719s are a good compromise between the skinny 717s and lardy 321s. If I was buying now I'd probably go for the Hope Hoops though. Oh, and for what it'll cost you for a service and new lowers for your Talas I'd just get a new fork. The Enduro will handle a slightly longer fork with no worries (apart from voiding any warranty)

Offpistejon
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, thought about pikes but prob too heavy. I've been offered some 2008 Recons air 100-130 with Maxle which sound ideal, anybody know what these are like?

clubber
    Free Member

08 Recons don't have a maxle…

And I fairly sure that they don't have a 100-130mm version either.

AlasdairMc

If Pikes are a bit heavy, what about Revelations?

I find the bike performs best at about 120mm travel as it's perfectly balanced front and back and doesn't end up slacker than it was designed for.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've just build up an '04 Enduro using QR crossrides and old 80-125mm Talas. Seems fine like that, but then I'm a wuss so probably don't ride it hard enough to notice stiffness problems from QR instead of bolt-through.

I've been quite impressed by the Crossrides (both them and the forks were previously on my Soul) so far. Given the low price (and mine were only £60 2nd hand) they're not too heavy and look good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help – what new wheels/fork for my 04 Enduro’ is closed to new replies.