Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help – SS query
  • rascal
    Free Member

Evening

This won't appeal to all but I think I MIGHT have been given some duff info by a local bike shop and wanted to know what the converted singlespeeders thought….

I'll keep it brief – I recently bought a 97 Stumpjumper HT with some decent bits on with a view to giving SS a stab and went to Leisure Lakes on Sun where I bought a Gusset 1-ER which replaced the 8 speed cassette fine. I was told I'd either need a chain tensioner (Gussett Bachelor, I think) OR I could use a Gussett Slink Half Link chain which meant not having to use a tensioner, so I opted for that instead.

Not being very clued-up on SS -yet, I then tried to find out my minimum amount of gear (no pun intended) on this site and Charlie The Bike Monger to change it to a SS. It seems not many people run half link chains and everyone uses some kind of tensioner. Is this the case? Is the chain worth having or shall I get a cheap Superstar tensioner and use my old chain? The bike has vert drop outs as you may have guessed. Want to get the steed up and running for the weekend as itching to try it out. The chain was £15 – is it worth taking it back and going the tensioner route instead and if so, which type?

PLEASE HELP – this SS thing sounds good and I just wanna try it but I'm stalling on kit decisions – it's doing my **** head in! All useful replies gratefully received…. 😥

simondbarnes

You're better off with a tensioner. A half link chain will give you a chance of getting decent chain tension (depending on the gear ratio you are running) but after a few rides the chain will wear, become loose and start dropping.

bone_idle
    Free Member

I tried using half links works for a while then your chain stretchs and comes off, but still I persevered but now I have put a tensioner on,
    but i must admit I do hate it as it looks crap. You need to have a way of adjusting the tension as the chains stretchs no matter what, I might try a chain device or ebb next. So in answer to the question keep the chain as it gives better adjustment of the chain but get a tensioner, I found running it pushing up better as it can jump with ith it pushing down.

Hope that was helpful

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have one of these (the gusset one) minus the chain and I dont think I have the chainring bolts (will have a rummage though) http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart2.htm Yours for £12 posted if you want

Jerome
    Free Member

A magic gear is what you need.
    This is the gear combo that means a chain will just fit with no tensioner and the right amount of tension.
    Been running an SS old marin for years with no problems.
    Measure the distance between the dropout and the centre of the BB and google magic gears where you will get a calculator to give you an idea.
    Chain stretch is an issue – a new chain vs an old stretched chain is worth one link.

For my marin, a new chain would be tight with 34*16 so a little over geared, after a week of riding tesnion would be perfect.
    After a month, chain would be baggy and I could get a 17 in there to give 34*17 in there which would be perfect.

Any questions let me know.

Cheers
    J.

andrewh
    Free Member

Just use your old rear mech as a tensioner, works for me. Put the limit screws wherever you need them and job done.

epicyclo

BTW don't waste money on fancy chains. A SS doesn't need the sideways flex of a derailleur chain, so a cheap 6 speed chain is better than a fancy umpteen speed one for this purpose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help – SS query’ is closed to new replies.