Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • help removing fsa comet cranks
  • lfcfan
    Free Member

Could somebody give me a quick step by step guide to removing fsa comet cranks, as i have just started to round the bolt off, so obviously doing it wrong. Any help much appreciated

rob-jackson
    Free Member

undo pinch bolts on nds, pull off, push crank thru

ratherbeintobago

Which model of Comet? Above advice assumes it’s the Mega-Exo model. BB30 one I’d assume is the same as my Afterburners – 10mm Allen key; confusingly there is an arrow marked ‘Tighten’ which refers to the self-extracting bolt cap (which is reverse threaded) and not the bolt itself.

It does seem to require a fair bit of welly though IIRC the torque for doing it up is 39-49 Nm.

Andy

lfcfan
    Free Member

ok thanks, so i have removed the outer cap, then used a 10mm allen key to start turning the internal bolt the opoosite direction to which you pedal, it initially felt like it was coming loose then stiffened up again, so presume thats wrong, cheers for any more help

walleater

This sounds like it’s going to end in tears…..

Go to a LBS or assuming it’s just a self extracting system like on the BB30 set up, the bolt backs up against the cover, thus pulling the crank off.

ratherbeintobago

Just to clarify, which BB system are your cranks (BB30 or Mega-Exo) or failing that, what make is your bike?

Did you have to use a pin spanner to remove the cap? If so, you probably shouldn’t have done that as, as walleater says, the crank bolt is supposed to back out against it. The bolt does seem to stiffen up a bit as it backs out but then it should start to release & free up.

Can you post pictures?

Andy

lfcfan
    Free Member

cheers guys, i believe its bb30 but it is from the latest boardman pro, i would go to lbs but its not that local, looking at 25 minutes drive

ratherbeintobago

IME the bold does go stiff (disconcertingly) before it starts to back out and then frees up nicely. However, it’s sounding like the LBS might be the best option.

Out of interest, why are you wanting to take the cranks off anyway?

Andy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘help removing fsa comet cranks’ is closed to new replies.