Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help. Rear Shock length problem……or not ?
  • RagTi
    Free Member

Morning

I have a Kona Tanuki 19″ which came with the Kona Fastrax AF2 rear shock. After scouring the web for a size I now know it has a stroke length of 51mm.

In my infinate wisdom when I measured the lower it measured around 56mm so assumed it was a 57!, subsequantly I have purchased a fox CTD 20/57mm.

It appears OK, and the eye to eye length is the same, does anyone know if this will be a issue, or do I just take an exensive hit and replace it with a 51 ?.

Any help would be appreciated, including brutal honesty.

Cheers

Kev

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

You have the new 57mm stroke shock? Fit, it, let all the air out and bottom the suspension out fully. Does the frame contact anywhere? Check around the pivot points as well as obvious places like above the back wheel. Give it a good heave and lean on it to be sure. If not, you are all good, pump it up and go and ride. If it does, a decent suspension tuner can probably help you by adding a stroke reducer to the shock.

Rickos
    Free Member

As above, if you get frame on frame contact then send the new shock off for some sacers to be added. I think that’s the only difference between the two stroke shocks anyway. IIRC LoCo will do this to a new unused shock for something like £30.

RagTi
    Free Member

Thanks v much gents!
    ke

RagTi
    Free Member

All appears ok, and yes there is plenty of clearance between frame parts, wheels and seat tube etc.

kahunajb
    Free Member

Would you be able to tell me what the eye to eye measurement on the original shock is? I’ve bought a frame and just fitted a 190mm x 51mm however it appears too short based upon the angle of the rear triangle compared with others. Can’t find much info on the net apart from a couple of American sites saying 7.5″x2″ but as I say fitted this does not seem right.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help. Rear Shock length problem……or not ?’ is closed to new replies.