Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How Do YOU Track Your Progress?
  • bfreeman0
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-use-an-excel-based-log

Just wondering how everyone is tracking their own progress, I’m currently using a combination of Strava and Runtastic.

But have been considering using a Google sheet which would be available from all devices. Would still use one of the above until I get a GPS unit.

weeksy

I don’t.

It’s irrelevant.

jam-bo

iphone/strava.

always nice to upload a ride and get a bunch of PR’s

midlifecrashes

When I’m out on a ride, I count the number of church spires I pass. In Norfolk, although the churches are excellent, I switch to windmills to add local flavour.

bfreeman0
    Free Member

@midlikecrashes must be very nice, what do you do if their is a lack of either?

iphone/strava.
    always nice to upload a ride and get a bunch of PR’s

Seems it is the favourite.

weeksy

bfreeman0 – Member

@midlikecrashes must be very nice, what do you do if their is a lack of either?

Just ride and enjoy the countryside ?

Shred
    Free Member

Strava for checking fitness levels (speed up climbs etc) with a Excel spreadsheet of my goals for the year and a basic training plan built around that.
    The spreadsheet is mainly used to kick myself into gear and try get enough miles in each week else I usually end up doing too few miles.

ton

endomondo 500 mile a month challenge thing. having something to aim for is nice if you have ill health. it is far too easy to slip into a self pitying black hole…this stops that happening. 8)

jam-bo

Just ride and enjoy the countryside ?

strava on, phone in bag pocket, enjoy countryside. it’s not difficult…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Strava, keeps a log, reminds me when I’ve been slacking and helps when you are repeating/training to track progress.

Excel = 3 steps too many.

timb34
    Free Member

Strava, occasional races and a mental list of “local climbs that I’ve never done in a one-er”

Simon

STRAVA!!

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have only ever had work supplied Blackberries so Strava wasn’t an option until recently. I used Endomondo until earlier this year, and I now use a Strava linked app called Fitness Tracker.

jwr

Rubitrack and Strava here – it’s a good combination.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Strava. No competition, just sling GPS in bag and go enjoy the countryside 😉 , but it’s interesting to see how my fitness and skills are getting on by just comparing my rides. I’m not looking to become a racing snake elite or top downhiller. Just trying to maintain the fitness and ability as age and flabby belly progresses.

I do compare with others but only people I know. It helps confirm that the GPS is accurate really as I know their abilities compared to mine.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I don’t.

It’s irrelevant.

Exactly. You wouldn’t take your Strava’d phone to Tesco and see how fast you can do the weekly shop…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Exactly. You wouldn’t take your Strava’d phone to Tesco and see how fast you can do the weekly shop…

Nope but then again I ride more than I shop, I’m also trying to improve my fitness and stamina. I’m trying to hit some sort of training plan between now and November so it’s really quite relevant to a lot of people who are not you.

njee20
    Free Member

Strava, TrainingPeaks WKO and race results, depending on season and my current levels of commitment!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Strava and Velo Viewer for me, either via iPhone or Garmin.

You wouldn’t take your Strava’d phone to Tesco and see how fast you can do the weekly shop

Nope but I’ve used it to track my recent grass cutting exploits, some of which go up to 5km per time lugging a 40kg mower around 😀 Dont use the motor drive as it’s all extra training innit bruv

Onzadog
    Free Member

I go to an overcrowded trail centre and start on zero points. For every person I barge past, I gain one point, for everyone that barges past me, I lose one point. 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

You should loose 2 points for being over-barged

rocketman
    Free Member

Just wondering how everyone is tracking their own progress

See how long it takes for the others to catch up between sections

* come to a standstill 1 point
    * standstill and dismount 2 points
    * standstill, dismount, have a drink 3 points
    * standstill, dismount, drink, test brakes & suspension 4 points
    * all the above and chat to some other folks 5 points
    * all the above and go back to see if the others are OK 10 points

Basil

Not applicable to my enjoyment of cycling.

deadkenny
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea really. Strap the GPS onto the trolley bars and race around the isles. Could even create segments. “Bread to Bacon” I’m sure I could KOM.

😀

(though obviously the GPS isn’t going to work in Tescos)

cookeaa

Crikey that thread was three years ago…

These days I use Strava, I still “Dual Log” with Sportstracker, but barely ever look at the site, its more to have a backup if the Strava app decides to shit itself (which happens less often now) and Sportstracker works well as an on the bars speedo for my road bike, where Strava is a bit crap TBH…

I did use Endomondo for a bit but didn’t really want to be logging with three separate sites, and while Endomondo has a pretty useful website, all of my data is now on Strava and it would be a total ball-ache to copy it all over, so I’ve basically ditched Endomondo…

All of these sites allow manual entry of course, so a watch and an accurate idea of distance traveled (google maps will do if you have no computer) is all you really need to keep track of any progress…

No more spreadsheets anymore, TBH I simply CBA and there’s all sorts of tools to gauge any progress on Strava…

Just ordered a cheap BT 4.0 HRM to try and add a bit more useful data (and spank the phone battery a bit more)…

cookeaa

race around the isles

I’d just race around the aisles…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Power meter, training peaks & my coach analysing the data from training & racing.

Losidan
    Free Member

Cant be bothered really beyond letting strava clock up the miles for. I dont even look at the segments post ride.

jonba
    Free Member

Some rides I do regularly. I use Strava etc. to see how I compared to last time*.

It can be dependent on conditions and other factors so you need to take a longer term view. One week may be slower than the last if there is bad weather.

*Some trail centre loops, road loops, time trials, hill climbs etc.

hot_fiat

Iphone / Runtastic, purely because I’ve got everything in there from about 7 years ago – from cycling and skiing to motorbike tours and track days.

Not interested in how I did, or how anyone else has done for that matter, but quite like to look at where I’ve been.

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s all about the stats 😉
    Garmin records everything except power.

For anyone wanting to progress and not get stale it’s vital to have meaningful figures.
    On another forum, I record how far I ride, how long it took, what my average speed was and which bike it was on.
    I have a mixture of training routes but I also have a specific personal TT route which is out and back to account a bit for conditions.
    Strava is useful too and I use one or two hill-segments as a measure of strength/fitness.

If you have the figures, you don’t have to look at them 😉

It’s also cool to have a friendly competition against mates whom you can’t ride together with.

Weeksy didn’t find it irrelevant when he was posting faster times up Streatley Hill than me 😀

discoduck
    Free Member

Sod it, I’m going to download STRAVA to see what all the fuss is about, years ago I downloaded it but read some story about would be thieves finding out where you live and robbing your bike ?

I’ve been doing exactly the same as onzadog with regards to setting personal goals, if some one is in front of me I’ve got to pass them and I cannot be passed.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

read some story about would be thieves finding out where you live and robbing your bike ?

Just put your postcode(s) into the privacy settings and your key locations will be hidden.

Strava is ace for those of us interested in tracking fitness progress, e.g.

On this segment my time has improved from around 8:00 to 5:30 and on this one I’m down from 7:20 to sub 5 minutes…I’m not expecting a call from Team Sky but I do find it gratifying and motivating to see the incremental improvements in fitness.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How Do YOU Track Your Progress?’ is closed to new replies.