Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • help please setting forks up (THORS)
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

At the moment when i ride i fell that i am being "pinged" about all over the show rather than the forks absorbing impacts adequately.

The forks (as many know) are Magura Thors, I have set the air pressure so i get 25% sag (as i have on the RP23 at the back), compression damping is not coming into play as i leave all platform off so the only thing is to change the rebound damping – how much are people using? I know its subjective but a rough idea would be good. Also any other "tuning" tips would be good. BTW theyw ere serviced about 3 months of riding ago.

Kit
    Free Member

I get this too, and haven't found a cure. Rebound is set as slow as I can get it without it being 'treacle' like, and I think I'm running the right pressures. I find I just have to get my weight over the front a bit and absorb the rebound with my arms… Sorry that's not much help 🙁

glenp
    Free Member

You can prob afford to go as low as 30% sag, even a smidge more. I like my bike with one third sag on the fork and one quarter on the rear shock. Don't forget the tyre too – what pressure are you at on the front?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

about 28-30psi on the front

racing_ralph
    Free Member

is there anyway i can get the front and rear suspension to essentially "feel" the same or am i barking up the wrong tree?

heihei

The problem with Thors is that when using the correct sag and no platform they blow through the travel. It may be that you are dialling in quite a bit of rebound to correct for this.
    I run mine with the correct sag and the platform "on" but with the lightest setting dialled in. This stops it blowing through the travel and helps supress brake dive. This might then allow you to run more rebound damping.
    Give it a go – nothing to lose!

nickc

If you're feeling like the fork is coming back too fast then dial more rebound damping.

glenp
    Free Member

I have found (albeit not with the same fork) that softer on the fork does feel the same both ends – ie if I go with the same sag front and back either the fork feels to springy or the back feel too squishy.

If there is more rebound available then use it – most forks seem to work better with the rebound set on the slow side.

Good comments about the platform – presumably the fork is designed to be used with that feature activated. With the platform compression damping turned on you could get away with even less pressure in the fork, which will restore the range of rebound damping (less spring = less rebound damping needed).

nickc

My Thors run happiest when they've got more rebound damping. Certainly more than I've put on any other fork. Plus run (on the downs at least) with the compression on with minimum (one or two turns at most) of fat albert

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how much (clicks) are you running on rebound, am i right in thinking that they have 14 clicks? Do you mean you run them slow – more rebound?

nickc

Yeah, slow (more rebound) They have got 14 clicks but the extreme ends are just for showrooms, not for real life, so I "think" I'm on 5-6 maybe. I'll check tonight. Run compression turned on most of the time, with 1-2 clicks of Fat Albert. About 80-85psi in the fork. I'm about 78 fully loaded (pack and helmet and such)

HTH

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘help please setting forks up (THORS)’ is closed to new replies.