Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help persuade me (TJ and edukator required)
  • aracer
    Free Member

Thinking about applying for a job with a company who do wind power. I figure it wouldn’t go down well to talk about the unreliability of wind at the interview – somebody please convert me so that I believe wind turbines are the best thing since sliced bread.

Or am I just a hypocrite?

donsimon
    Free Member

Why do you want to work for said company if you don’t agree with the product?

TooTall
    Free Member

wind turbines are the best thing since sliced bread.

Do they have to be? Part of the solution, not the magic answer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How would a faux-Scot help you decide?

magowen100
    Free Member

Not wanting to point out the obvious but…
    Do you honestly believe your objections to wind power will be new to them?
    I would have thought they would have heard it a million times and have a number of counter arguments.
    So actually think about it, come up with your angle whatever that is, offer your solutions and ideas and then impress the hell out of them and get the job.
    🙂

aracer
    Free Member

if you don’t agree with the product

I was kind of hoping somebody might try and change my mind. I’m open to such info, given the job looks right up my street.

donsimon
    Free Member

given the job looks right up my street.

Depends what the job is, doesn’t it?

Gary_C

Why do you want to work for said company if you don’t agree with the product?

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ ?????

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How would a faux-Scot help you decide?

Well maybe he knows a bit about wind power and stuff, not like you what don’t know nuffink bloody stupid.

Anyway you’re a faux-toff, which is worser than anyfink.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think its anything to do with pursuading you taht windpower is the greatest thing ever- you merely need to aknowledge its a part of the answer

What you do need to conivnce yourself and them is that it will be better with you on the inside working for them

ie windpower company + aracer > windpower company – aracer

If you don’t convince yourself its the right thing to do this would come over at interview. Check out teh unst project for how windpower really can makea huge difference – IMO its a small scale pilot for were we should be going int eh future

mboy
    Free Member

I figure it wouldn’t go down well to talk about the unreliability of wind at the interview

It can only go 2 ways. But going in all critical, and then having your argument shot down in flames would only go one way… So whether or not you believe in it, do your homework and make sure any views you have on it are bullet proof.

somebody please convert me so that I believe wind turbines are the best thing since sliced bread.

Errrr. As an STW forum regular, it’s in your blood that once your mind is made up on something it cannot be changed, no matter how well reasoned the argument is! 😉

Or am I just a hypocrite?

Now that’s another question altogether… I’m sure that my dream job and loadsa money is out there somewhere, but if it were working for a tobacco company and I accepted it, as a vehement anti smoker I would be a hypocrite yes! If your views towards wind power are merely that it’s not the be all and end all, rather than being totally against it, that would only make you the same as about 95% of the rest of the population who have no particularly strong feelings towards the company they work for other than it is a job, and it pays them money.

user-removed
    Free Member

Do it. And then hire me to do the visual / environmental impact assessments. I make perhaps a quarter of my living (photographically) from such assignments and would be happy to increase that to a half 🙂

As has been said here before, it’s a lot easier to knock down and dismantle a turbine field, than it is to make safe a nuclear reactor when the next best white sliced idea comes around….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Believing in what you do….hmmm what a novel concept. I seem to remember it though!

Kevevs
    Free Member

persuade me to stay on this stupid forum.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I figure it wouldn’t go down well to talk about the unreliability of wind at the interview

Yes I think you have probably got a point there. I would tell them how you passionately believe that any minor issues concerning wind generated power and other renewable sources, should and can be overcome. Emphasising just how imperative it is to do so.

I would point out that the Japanese government has come to the same conclusion after the catastrophic failures of its own nuclear industry, and the indisputable proof of its unreliability. You could perhaps quote them this fact :

“the [Japanese] government has said it would abandon plans to ramp up the nuclear contribution to the power grid to 50 per cent, and instead would increase the share of renewable energy”

Japan closes fifth nuclear reactor since Fukashima radioactive leak

I suspect they will be very impressed that, like the Japanese government, you are keen and enthusiastic to learn lessons which need to be learnt, and how your mind isn’t closed to reason. Good luck with the job.

Edukator
    Free Member

I would talk about measures to deal with the intermittent nature of wind power in the interview. There are solutions which you only have to reread the threads we’ve debated on to talk about convincingly.

Go for it, the industry needs people that are as concerned with coping with demand peaks as just headline-grabbing peak production numbers.

BTW, the immersion heater with a built-in heat pump is now selling for 1360e in my local DIY store. It saves nearly as much energy as a solar water heater and is definitely viable if you consume a lot of electrically heated hot water.

mattsccm
    Free Member

This month copy of Trail mag has a pro and con article

aracer
    Free Member

What you do need to conivnce yourself and them is that it will be better with you on the inside working for them

That’s kind of what I figured – it does help that the project I’d be working on is something I believe is something the wind power industry is better of for having (though I’d have no influence at all on any policy stuff). Thanks for the reminder about Unst – something I do believe is a positive thing to do with wind power – even more congratulations if you actually remembered that’s something I’m in favour of!

STW is great sometimes – even those people you’ve had very heated debates with helping you out.

aracer
    Free Member

Japan closes fifth nuclear reactor since Fukashima radioactive leak

Interesting headline, given that they’ve only actually shut down 2 reactors, and plan to restart them later.

You could perhaps quote them this fact

I have to admit to being somewhat reluctant about quoting “facts” sourced from an Israeli newspaper (with a propensity for exaggerated headlines) in interviews – is Haaretz a daily read for you, ernie?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Absolutely. I pop down to my newsagents for my copy of Haaretz everyday.
    Why ?…..don’t you trust Israeli sources then ?

There are plenty of other non-Israeli sources for that quote btw.

Flaperon

I should think being aware of both sides of the coin will endear you to them more than the usual wind-promoting hemp-underpants hippy.

I support the drive to build new nuclear plants; doesn’t mean I don’t believe there’s an important part for wind power to play.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help persuade me (TJ and edukator required)’ is closed to new replies.