Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help needed to get WW2 little ship ship-shape – London
  • nedrapier

Any one fancy helping out a mate with an ambitious project? He’s trying to restore an old Vospers seaplane tender. It was at the bottom of the Thames a few months ago, and the “after” filming for George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces is 23rd June. He’s up against it and there’s plenty more to do.

If you’ve got a bit of spare time in the next week or so and you’re handy with woodworking tools or can hold a paintbrush, get involved. He’s not short of enthusiasm but he is short of time and skillz!

https://kriticalmass.com/p/projectladydoris
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectLadyDoris/

Story from the local rag:

Locals rally to urgently help keep an old WW2 ship afloat (Kingston-Upon-Thames)

Young entrepreneur Marcus Warry is rallying groups around Kingston and South West London to help save Lady Doris, a WW2 wooden ship which aided the RAF in their times of need. Lady Doris gave Great Britain a great service during WW2 but now Marcus is raising money and recruiting volunteers to keep her memory alive through a crowdfunding campaign. A top TV company want to film Lady Doris and the deadline for completion is 23rd June and so there is a race against time to get her ready and have a piece of British history preserved for all to celebrate…

Marcus Warry stated ‘After Lady Doris sunk in the Summer of 2014 it has been my mission to resurrect her to her former glory…. it’s a huge honour owning a piece of military history, and I want to ensure that she can be enjoyed by many more people for many years to come”

More than 30 volunteers from all over the world have already come to lend a hand, in return for food, drinks and piratey banter! It’s become a truly social project, and there’s been a huge amount of support from Kingston locals and the public at large, who have seen Lady Doris sink, rise covered in mud, cleaned.. painted and gradually restored. Many adventurers have found Lady Doris on AirBnb, and have stayed on the boat whilst also getting stuck into the renovations “I’ve been truly inspired by al the fantastic love & support I’ve had from everyone.. there’s no way I could have got this far, without this wonderful community spirit” Marcus told us.

Lady Doris is on the National Historic Ships register.. one of only 1000 ships in the Uk to enjoy this privilige. “I think the idea of keeping a piece of history afloat has really struck a chord with fellow boaters & landlubbers alike” said Marcus (aka Black Beard).

There are 11 days left to finish the project, and Marcus & Lady Doris still need more volunteers & cash to ensure they hit the deadline! Marcus is already planning a million ways to say thank you, including Open Days & Summer parties on Lady Doris, in Kingston, Henley or central London. You can find out more & join these events on the facebook group (search for “Project Lady Doris”).

There is a banner on the side of Lady Doris now, inviting all Rowers, Rowing teachers, canoeists, fisherman, walkers, locals etc to an open boat on Lady Doris. When Marcus brought Lady Doris from Reading to Kingston, many kind people helped along the way, including a couple who saved Marcus when he ran out of diesel and was meandering aimlessly towards a bridge…

“I never got to properly thank them, and I’d love them to read this, and get in touch so they can enjoy some bubbles at one of our summer parties!!”
    Farrow & Ball have just stepped up & sponsored Lady Doris by providing all the paint for her refit. And in the last 11 days, painting is the main task!! “If anyone is able to help with a paintbrush in hand, or with £10 for supplies, it would be amazing to hear from them, as the clock ticks away and the deadline looms.” said Marcus, smiling enthusiastically. Why not throw him a bone, and help keep a piece of history afloat?

“I will be forever in debt to all the amazing Lady Doris Deckhands who have helped me get this far!! And if anyone can help with this final surge, Lady Doris & I shall love them forever!”

Find out more here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectLadyDoris/
    Donate time or money here: http://www.kriticalmass.com/p/projectyladydoris
    Pictures can be used from the Kritical Mass page, or Facebook group – please join and have a gander..

nedrapier

If some of that’s a bit **** (and if I’m honest… 🙂 ) there’s some notebook pages 4 posts down on the fb page with 10 or so skilled jobs that need doing.

I can’t post them here from the phone, I’ll try later. Cheers!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting, I wonder how she sank. I’m a bit far away to help.

nedrapier

Leaky stern gland + failed bilge pump switch!

I helped get her down from Caversham to London, quite the journey with no reverse gear and a turning circle twice the width of the Thames! It was heartbreaking to see the pics of her wheelhouse poking out of the water.

nedrapier

Well here’s the man himself, and the boat:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPKnYAr-1NA[/video]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to get WW2 little ship ship-shape – London’ is closed to new replies.