Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Help needed – possible hamfisted stupidity & tubeless
  • SandCrab

All,

I have just come within an inch of having a tantrum and throwing my new wheel accross the garage, so I have come for some assistance, if possible.

I have a new stans ztr arch ex 29er and a tubeless ready nobby nic. Plan for the night was to fit it with a tube just to get it back into shape. First issue was that the tape had no hole for the valve to pass through, just a small marker hole. I will eventually use them tubeless (with the stans valves), so how much of the tape do I cut away? The rubber seat on the valve is quite large, should this sit flush in the rim?

Second issue was getting the tyre on. The rim seems so shallow (approx 3mm above the yellow tape), it took me 15 min and copious amounts of swearing to get one side in. The other side was just impossible, I got about 3/4 on and it seemed incredibly tight – I double checked that it was a 29er tyre! The force looked to have compressed the yellow tape, it still covers the rim but it now runs directly over the top of the spokes.

I put the nobby nic on a standard rim, no bother at all. I tried a wire bead fat frank on the stans, no joy at all. I have a LUST tyre on a UST mavic rim, had no trouble with that. I watched the video on the no tubes site, which helpfully shows the guy having absolutely no trouble and doing it in about 7 seconds.

So, am I being a complete clown? Is there some secret that I need to know? Having gone full tilt Malcolm Tucker, I am now in trouble with the long haired general so any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chris

SandCrab

Thanks ian, i’ll give that a bash.

MrGreedy

What sort of tape is it? If it’s not the thin yellow Stans tape, then that might be the problem.

Re. the valve hole, assuming it is the yellow tape, just cut a cross in the hole with a craft knife and push the valve through, no need to be meticulously tidy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Help needed – possible hamfisted stupidity & tubeless’ is closed to new replies.