Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help Needed. Car Collision.
  • 2hottie
    Free Member

GF had a very very slow speed bump today, our car has no marks on it other than the dirt being smudge on the number plate. However the car she bumped into (it stopped suddenly in queuing traffic)has been quoted for a new:

RR Towing eye cover
    Rear retainer rail

and an obscene amount of labour and unnecessary checks. The quote is from a main dealer and is £380

GF said there was not even a scratch on the bumper of said car which is much bigger than ours and it feels like we are being had.

Not disputing who is a fault what options do I have. Can I request the other party to gain quotes elsewhere or counter her quote with my own at a local non main dealer garage.

As you can tell we’re avoiding the route of the using the insurance as the excess is higher than the quote above.

Cheers in advance.

Scott

wrightyson
    Free Member

Unfortunately as you’re “at fault” you really have no option to pay what they request or use your insurance. Be very careful that when the work is done they don’t come back for more!!

2hottie
    Free Member

Yeah we considered that, my true issue is that if we sort the matter out in private how do I stop them taking the piss and saying they had whiplash and further car issues?

Junkyard
    Free Member

offer to pay the main dealer direct rather than give them the money and see if they wish to renegotiate ?

cb

You’ve answered your own questions, use your insurance – at least you know what you will end up paying…

PePPeR

You legally have to declare the accident to the insurers come renewal time, If I remember corectly!
    You may find that going through the insurers may cover your arse towards any whiplash claims etc!

2hottie
    Free Member

Can I use the insurance even tho our excess is around £550!!! and the quote is £380. I think I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Gary_C

Watch out for the other vehicles 5 occupants claiming for whiplash too…

Neil-F
    Free Member

Bumpers are designed to take an impact and even though the outer skin isn’t damaged the inner reinforced part of the bumper might be. I’d be tempted to just take the hit in the pocket, but ask the other guy for a written quote from the dealer first. Oh, and give her a jolly good yelling at for being such a dunderheid. 😀

2hottie
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve got the quote from the main dealer and it just seems over the top especially as ours has no damage and appears fine underneath. Agreed with what can’t be seen and that but it comes back to the point that we maybe at more risk by admitting liability instead of just going via the insurance. Our premium will likely go up but as I moving to Australia next April I’d rather not have anything creeping up on us at a later date.

Cougar

Yeah. The danger here is you pay out and then they suddenly get whiplash once they realise you’re going to go “oh, ok then.” Then you’ll be out of pocket to the tune of this repair plus your excess. Going through the insurance gives you, well, insurance against that sort of thing.

As for what you can ‘request’, you can request anything you like, you’re doing it unofficially between yourselves. They, equally, can tell you to get stuffed. An insurance claim would typically request at least two quotes so I don’t think it’d be an unreasonable request. If they say no, your counter is simple, “we’ll go through the insurance then.”

TBH, if they’re agreeing to this, then either they’re amenable sorts who don’t want to cause you unnecessary strife, or they don’t care and just want as much money as they can.

jon1973
    Free Member

Can I use the insurance even tho our excess is around £550!!! and the quote is £380. I think I’d rather be safe than sorry.

If the cost is only £380, surely you’d only owe the insurance company the £380 to pay for the work. The £550 excess is only for work at or above that level surely? Not sure you’d be worse off in that respect, apart from the premium increase the next year.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help Needed. Car Collision.’ is closed to new replies.