Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Help me understand what the doctor said
  • MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I went to the doc this morning to get a medical certificate for a race and he took my blood pressure. it was 10.9 which he said was quite low for a person with my level of fitness.
    ?
    any doctors would care to explain to me?

cheers

crikey
    Free Member

10.9 is not a blood pressure.

Blood pressures are stated as a systolic/a diastolic, so you get 120/70 or 140/90. What did he actually say?

donsimon
    Free Member

100/90?

Woody
    Free Member

Are you sure that was blood pressure and not blood sugar level ie. did he prick your finger then tell you?

druidh
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Blood pressures are stated as a systolic/a diastolic, so you get 120/70 or 140/90. What did he actually say?Aren’t there are different scales (like Celsius and Fahrenheit)

McHamish
    Free Member

I know this is probably a stupid question…but why didn’t you ask your Dr to explain!?

McHamish
    Free Member

crikey
    Free Member

Aren’t there are different scales (like Celsius and Fahrenheit)

No, there are not.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

not a doctor, but you can get really faint and even collapse w/ low blood pressure often leading to easily getting head rushes (Orthostatic hypotension)

hypotension

Blood pressure chart

10 isn’t a blood pressure level it seems

Check out the link. But you probs dont have hypertension, I guess if your GP is cool w/ it then there aint no need to be concerned. Hope that helped 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

if it’s blood sugar, it’s quite high. Diabetic?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Worth saying twice imho.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So if you pressure WAS low, did the dr offer to test for anything such as anemia?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Whatever the actual blood pressure was, I’m surprised to learn that low blood pressure is apparently unusual in people with a good level of fitness (I assume the op is fairly fit) I didn’t know that. My blood pressure tends to drop the fitter I am.

Woody
    Free Member

Let’s keep guessing – maybe 109 systolic?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

So if you pressure WAS low, did the dr offer to test for anything such as anemia?

What? What on earth would anaemia have to do with BP?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

On the NHS site…

How much exercise you do: initially, exercise will raise your blood pressure, but if you are healthy and exercise regularly, your blood pressure will be low when you are resting.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

TJ probably nothing – I thought it did but clearly wrong.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

It was blood pressure. In france it’s stated like that. 10 is rather low, 12 is normal and above is high. there must be different scales.

I did ask the question and he said something like ‘is it normally like that?’ as if I know.

I’m not worried, just curious. I thought low pressure is good as long as you don’t get headrush when you get up (i used to until I went on the i-you-know-what,must have been a sugar issue).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

mf : I thought that exactly. High while you’re exercising or after and generally low when you’re at rest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

UK scale is mm of mercury as a pressure measurement and will be as crickey says. there should be two numbers tho even using differnt scales. could be cm of mercury?

druidh
    Free Member

crikey – Member

[quote]druidh – Member
    Aren’t there are different scales (like Celsius and Fahrenheit)[/quote]

crikey – Member
    No, there are not.

[quote]MrsMugsy – Member
    It was blood pressure. In france it’s stated like that. 10 is rather low, 12 is normal and above is high. there must be different scales.[/quote]

Thank you MrsMugsy

crikey
    Free Member

France?…. 🙄

It means your BP is 100/90, which is fine. Go race.

crikey
    Free Member

Druidh, there are not different scales; there are different ways of recording it.

mrdestructo

The only thing I remember with those numbers is iron level. 12 is good, 10 is bordering on low. But that requires a blood test.

druidh
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    France?….

Hey – at least they use Kilometres and not Miles 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok – mr google he say the french use cm of mercury we use mm so their reading is 1/10th of ours. still should be two numbers tho – so your 10.9 to be low should be the systolic – which is not that low. i generally run at 105 / 55 or lower and have to stand up slowly

MussEd
    Free Member

Cholesterol level? In which case that’s high!

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

PAM = (PAS + 2 x PAD) / 3

This is the equation that relates the high number (PAS)and the low number (PAD) to the mean pressure (PAM)

donsimon
    Free Member

Glad that’s sorted. It’s the same as the Spanish way.

alexxx
    Free Member

mine is 120/60 is that fit?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

i generally run at 105 / 55 or lower and have to stand up slowly

Have you ever taken it between posts on a political thread TJ ?

I bet you stand up quick after you’ve posted on one of those.

😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’d have to see a photo alexxx 🙂

Fitness is little to do with BP – if yo are hypertensive it might drop it a bit to normal levels – its what is normal for yo that counts

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just using mean arterial pressure is fairly meaningless.

Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ ernie

+ I win with 109 systolic 8)

meehaja
    Free Member

Crikey has got it… just add zeroes to what the french tell you. 100/90 is on the low side, but can be normal for someone of an athletic nature, in association with a lower resting pulse rate.

Don’t sweat it, race hard, don’t stand up too quickly first thing in the morning!

sherry
    Free Member

As stated earlier 10.9 is not a blood pressure reading. If the doc took a blood sample and said this reading was low I would guess it was a haemoglobin reading. Used to measure your oxygen caring capacities amounts others. 10.9 g/dl (grams per deciliter) is a little low. Normal parameters being around 13.5-18.0 for males. 11.5-16.0 for females.

If measuring blood sugar (bm) then 10.9 is a little high.

if you are unsure of an answer always ask for an explanation.

I work in Anaesthetics as an ODP.

Hope this helps.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sherry – we have established that the french use cm / hg so their numbers are 1/10thof ours and it looks like from what Mrsmugsey said its actually mean arterial pressure in cm / hg she has been given or possibly systolic in cm / hg

sherry
    Free Member

I type to slow on my phone ha ha! If using cm instead of mmHg you incorporate a decimal point but still need 2 values to obtain a mean. Either way, if its a mean or systolic its not that bad.

DrP

Was he on a CB radio??

“ten nine whiskey alpha….”

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Help me understand what the doctor said’ is closed to new replies.