Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • help me STW your my only hope…….fork problems
  • fastindian
    Free Member

OK so i’ve serviced my 2006/7 marz mx pro (100mm travel)forks new seals and adding 130ml of oil as per the service manual

Problem now is im only getting about 50mm travel and they feel like there bottoming out on anything rough (but aren’t)also i’m not sure the rebound adjuster is working

what the hell have i done to them?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yuove put to much oil in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

take some oil out. Oil levels in open bath forks are best measured rather than volumes – take out 30 ml and see or look for an oil level measurement

argoose
    Free Member

I fill to 45mm from stancion lip. Put a mark on the long allan key and use like a dipstick 🙂

fastindian
    Free Member

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Oil level should be between 45-55mm from top of stanchion. If you’re rebound damping adjustment doesn’t appear to be doing anything, it might be because you used oil that isn’t thick enough.

The oil ratings written on bottles are fairly meaningless, the only thickness rating worth a damn for our purposes is centistokes, an international standard. This site has the viscosity in centistokes of various brand fork oils, and also illustrates why the manufacturers’ published weights are useless:

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Marzocchi use a 26.1 cSt oil, but remember the ideal oil weight depends on how much air preload or which rate spring/s you use, which of course depends on your weight.

The easiest to source/cheapest synthetic fork oil is probably Castrol Fully Synthetic Fork Oil. Their 5w is 28 cSt, with the 10w being 42 cSt. They can be mixed in various ratios to achieve anything in between.

I’m a large chap (200lbs+) and have converted my Pros to coil only (heavier guys need so much air preload that the forks lock out before reaching full travel). I’m running coils totalling 8 kg/cm at 120mm travel which requires 38 cSt oil to achieve a nice rebound rate with adjustment knob in middle position (i.e. 4 turns from fully open/closed). I mixed 30 ml/cc of 5w with 105 ml/cc of 10w to achieve approximately a 38 cSt mix.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The measurement of 45 mm is with the fork compressed and the spring out I assume – thats the norm

argoose
    Free Member

Yes the top “+” airvalve is removed so remember to exhaust air BEFORE you remove valve.
    IIRC its something like 25-27mm. Take care when removing because the o ring can get caught in the stancion threads

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘help me STW your my only hope…….fork problems’ is closed to new replies.