Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me STW, my bike is dog slow.
  • oldnpastit

I have a Singular Swift, single speeded (spad?). It’s amazing, lively, a joy to ride and all round brilliant.

I also have a 26″ geared HT and if I’m honest, it’s a struggle to enjoy it.

It’s just such hard work to get it going. If I really push hard (or I’m going downhill) then it comes to life, but otherwise it just feels terribly lumpen. After an hour or so of slogging round on it I just start craving the Swift.

Frame is a Sanderson Life. Wheels are Mavic 719, tubeless, with Racing Ralph on the back, Nobby Nic on the front. Fork is a 4 or 5 year old RS Reba, 100mm, probably very badly setup.

So, what do does the STW hive mind suggest? Sell it? Go 29er? 69er? New wheels? New forks? Rigid forks? Get fitter? I guess I have a budget of a few hundred pounds I could spend on it if I also get some flowers for my ever-patient wife.

fatboyjon

So, you’ve got 2 bikes and prefer the ride of one over the other? Not sure that’s a massive problem really, just ride the one you like.

ashfanman
    Free Member

RS Reba, 100mm, probably very badly setup.

Get the fork set up properly?

Also, serious question, I assume you have checked to see if the brake pads are rubbing slightly?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Improve your fitness with some weights too.

The Fat boy is right though!

oldnpastit

So, you’ve got 2 bikes and prefer the ride of one over the other? Not sure that’s a massive problem really, just ride the one you like.

There’s times when single speeding just doesn’t do it. All single speeders who are honest will admit this. Even round Thetford forest, there are a few spots where having a single speed means getting off and walking when people (well, some people) with gears are still riding.

So I’d quite like to have the choice. Is that so wrong?

oldnpastit

Also, serious question, I assume you have checked to see if the brake pads are rubbing slightly?

I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem!

cynic-al
    Free Member

You could make it lighter, it will feel faster, but won’t actually be much faster.

A rigid ss will always feel fast.

BigJohn

Get a better dog.

oldnpastit

Get a better dog.

He’s old and his back legs don’t work properly anymore, but the children would be horrified at your suggestion.

Andy_Baz

I ride a 29er singlespeed as my only bike and you’re right, there are times when singlespeed is a bit of a slog. The thing is, and possibly the reason why your geared 26er feels so sluggish, is that by comparison your single speed is lighter and has that immediate acceleration that seems hard to replicate on a geared bike (on a sensible budget anyway). Add to that easier rolling of the 29er and perhaps you have enough to make the 26er feel really hard work.
    No idea what the solution is though…

ssboggy

Change the frame on the Sanderson for a Swift, get new wheels & forks and have a Swift with gears and on SS, sell all the old bits, its a win win situation!

stevious

Check your wheel bearings?

Sam

Boggy’s idea is the best – sell the sanderson frame, fork and wheels – buy another Swift and some new wheels, transfer all the geary stuff over. Or even better, buy the L Pegasus I have available.

ssboggy

Do I get commission Sam? 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

my dogs faster than my bike 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me STW, my bike is dog slow.’ is closed to new replies.