Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help me singlespeed my Klein
  • pilgrimbob
    Free Member

Arrived from ebay last week to replace my stolen 98 Pulse.

Hoping to build up as a singlespeed. Bit a novice in these things. Rear facing drop outs but not slots 😕

I don't really want to have to run a tensioner as I want to keep a clean chain line.

Any advice on chain tension, apart from magic ratios? Would a tugnut work?

clubber
    Free Member

You need a tensioner. I have a mantra with the same dropouts and a tug wouldn't work

richcc
    Free Member

Get one of those eccentricker? Kits and keep the clean lines. Tensioners always look gash

westkipper
    Free Member

Can anyone locate this member via the web?, so that we can track them down and put them on trial for Crimes Against Kleinanity.
    I'm generally against the death penalty, but really, 'angings too good fer 'im! 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

no bike is too good to ss, however some bikes are unworthy*

*actually thats a lie

clubber
    Free Member

My ss Klein 🙂

westkipper
    Free Member

I mean, what sort of car do you drive pilgrimbob, a Lamborghini Murcielago estate? 🙂

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

woo hoo! I have one of those altitude comps. 1997. lovely frame. I SS'd mine for a while. Use a half link and 32:16 works. need to slide out of the drops fractionally. I think.

Had a set of Ti rigid forks. flippin eck it was light.

only pic I can find at the moment:
    Not my flickr

speaker2animals

Can't help with the tensioner but have got a SS sprocket and spacer kit for sale on here. Surly brand and in very good/hardly used condition. 17T sprocket. On-line I can find the two for just under £60 new so my £19 price is a bargain!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-surly-single-speed-cog-and-spacer-kit – here

Sonor
    Free Member

Can anyone locate this member via the web?, so that we can track them down and put them on trial for Crimes Against Kleinanity.
    I'm generally against the death penalty, but really, 'angings too good fer 'im!

+1. Singlespeed a Klein? Sacrilege! 😡

theotherjonv

I know they're classics but those Mantras are just so…… ugly

and to think i really wanted one back in the day (and got a Marin instead – the shame!)

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

get a White Industries Eno hub (?) that'll sort out tension worries and keep clean lines. X

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How abouth the sheldon brown style ghost chainring? Thats as cool as a eskimo

pilgrimbob
    Free Member

I'm generally against the death penalty, but really, 'angings too good fer 'im!

Kipper, maybe you should direct your vitriol towards the twunts that stole my Pulse.

Man I loved that bike, it was so fast.

I can't really afford to build this bike even as a singlespeed but there again I can't afford to be without a Klein.

The only consolation is that it gives me an excuse to get an Attitude, the bike I dreamt on owning since this

Don't worry your pretty little head it's gone to a nice home where it'll be given lots of tlc and good singletrack

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I used a tensioner on my old Klein Fervor. The dropouts on that are longer but dont really give enough to tension the chain. The tensioner doesnt look too bad.

And for those who say it is sacrilege to SS a klein, they obviously havent ridden one. Rocket fast and superlight. Needs to have a rigid fork though for maximum klein-ness i think.

clunker

As above get an Eno, and keep it looking nice.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Here's mine. I bet you are jealous of that stem 😀

I think that it still looks neat even with the tensioner.

westkipper
    Free Member

Pilgrimbob, how could I direct any vitriol towards these particular criminals.
    Of all the lowlife chavvy bas***ds that are out there stealing bikes, the ones that choried yours must have had a high degree of refined taste. (even though the pulse was a more basic Klein)
    There still time to reconsider the immoral ss'ing, c'mon, you could sell a kidney or one of the weans- dont do it! 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

EBB for standard bottom brackets as mentioned above. Would keep clean lines and come in lots of colours. Expensive though, but what price for clean looks?

http://www.trickstuff.de/index.php?p=d116en1

Andy-R

Or this one .

Does the same job and it's cheaper and better made.

IdleJon

I must have been lucky when I ss'd my Pulse last year.

I had a chain tensioner all ready to go on, tried it without and it was fine. No need for half links or any special attention at all. The chain was slightly tighter than I was happy with for a few rides, but it loosened off nicely.

I was using the bike on a regular basis until last August, when the (very old) front rim collapsed. I haven't got around to rebuilding it yet…

psychle
    Free Member

Slight hijack… Pilgrimbob, I have a black exzentricker I could sell for £85 posted if you're interested… email in profile 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help me singlespeed my Klein’ is closed to new replies.