Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help me pick a light 100mm fork
  • johannesfelter
    Free Member

I’m trying to pick a 100mm fork (1 1/8 straight steerer) to fit on a 2005 Santa Cruz Superlight. The most important thing for me is weight. It’s to fit a light rider who doesn’t ride aggresively. My only thought is a Rockshox SID?

Any ideas appreciated.

Where else (apart from the frame!) can I make the biggest weight saving when building up this bike?

scotroutes

SIDs would be perfect. For a bike of that age, I’d be looking for a set of lightly used 2nd hand ones (like I am about to sell).

You can save quite a lot of (important) weight in the wheels.

dyna-ti

Manitous can be pretty light. 😕

johannesfelter
    Free Member

Scotroutes – sounds like you need to keep me in the loop when you get them ready for sale? Fancy sending an early photo?

Wheels are currently Mavic 317 on a cheapo Shimano hub, running Spesh “The Captain” – reckon I could do better…suggestions anyone for a decent value lightweight set of wheels?

stevied
    Free Member

Going 1 x 9/10 would save a bit too

BrickMan

You can sometimes find late (2007-2010) manitou minutes 1.0 (the top one?) new old stock in shops for pennies, the ones with SPV, intrinsic or CID damping are amazing if a little flexible, but then if its weight over anything else, thats what you pay for.

THe other obvious choice is current SID’s, again been around a while now but they are damn good, go for dual air if poss as gives you more adjustment, the LATEST solo air’s are great, but last years just blow up on you on the first ride or never, I think there was an assembly problem with some of them.

eyerideit
    Free Member

If you’re flush DT Swiss.

Or Magura Durin Race/SL the new TS8 are all quite light about 1.2-1.4 kg

krummond
    Free Member

Second the SIDs – very happy with mine.

DanW
    Free Member

I have a Magura Durin at 1353g for under £300 from a German retailer.

I think even the top end new Sids struggle to attain that kind of weight. No noticeable stiffness differences from Fox FIT RLC w/ 15mm Thru Axle but much better controlled mid stroke damping. Same to descend, noticeably better climbing.

German A-Kilo/ Lefty is “exotic” but very expensive. DT Swiss have some light models but will likely be in for repairs pretty often.

njee20
    Free Member

SIDs.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Durins might well be stiffer than the SIDs as they are double brace.

2012 Magura Durin Marathon Review

DanW
    Free Member

Formula also offer some nice looking forks at very reasonable weights. They seem to get good reviews but have not had much exposure. This also means they are rarely found at discounted rates and therefore work out pretty pricey.

jairaj

I’m a big fan of my SIDs they happily cope with hard riding not just a “XC racer” fork IMO.

If on a budget look at the latest RS Reba. They share the same super light chassis but the Reba has slightly less refined internals to keep the costs down but is still a good fork.

scotroutes

Got an email address?

The SIDs are 100/80 Race model, Dual Air with Pushloc remote. They have the silver decals on but there are spares in other colours (pink, green, red). Stanchions are unmarked and there are a couple of minor marks on the glossy black paintwork. Steerer is 200mm and there’s a SFN fitted.

They haven’t see much mileage as they were fitted to my wee Ti hardtail and that did most miles with the Pace rigid forks so they look really good.

Untitled by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

eyerideit
    Free Member

Ahem

*Politely joins the queue for the Sids if the OP doesn’t want them*

I’m interested if the OPs not.

email in profile.

scotroutes

Cool. Seems only fair to let the OP in first. I’d have contacted him direct if he had an email address in his profile.

igm

Just bought some 1499g (allegedly) Rebas from Merlin £269.

mt
    Free Member

I have some rather nice Sids for sale if anyone is interested. Rather fetching blue colour that was all the rage, currently attached to a Cotic Soda that weights in at a miges dick over 20lbs (complete bike obviously). drop me an email if you are interested.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Formula also offer some nice looking forks at very reasonable weights.

I’m becoming a fan of their brakes so I posted up a few weeks ago asking if anyone has got/had experience of Formula forks. I got 0 replies, so it seems they might be good but no one has/uses them.

DanW
    Free Member

I’m becoming a fan of their brakes so I posted up a few weeks ago asking if anyone has got/had experience of Formula forks. I got 0 replies, so it seems they might be good but no one has/uses them

Some on the guys on weightweenies may be good to contact. Basically they seem to have a good reputation

nedrapier

Just a word about the Rockshox weights – they’re often “from” the lightest weight – eg carbon steerer World Cup version, 9mm QR. Worth looking into the actual weight for the one you’re buying if the quoted weight seems optimistic or description is vague.

johannesfelter
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. Email address added to profile…

Consensus seems to be SIDs, wheel upgrade and possible 1×10.

johannesfelter
    Free Member

mt do you want to drop me an email about your SIDs? My email’s now in my profile!

dannybgoode
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help me pick a light 100mm fork’ is closed to new replies.