Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Help me justify a TI hardtail
  • dan77
    Free Member

I currently have an orange P7 which I really like, it’s a few years old now and although it’s got plenty of life left I can’t help but browse and see what’s out there, At the moment I’m quite taken by this, I say at the moment because I’m massively indecisive!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOTI456X9/on_one_ti_456_evo_sram_x9_mountain_bike

I’m just wondering, apart from weight, will I notice a huge difference between steel and TI and can you really justify 2k on a hardtail, I’m just about to set off to Afghanistan so this would be present to myself with the money I save,

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The Ti will be nice, springier, if you like but the P7 is a very very good frame.

I’m not going to help you justify the change as I honestly believe that you will regret the expenditure compared to the slight gains you may experience elsewhere.

Save your cash.

Ex owner of a Lynskey 456 after owning it for ree years and riding it all over the UK, Scotland and Wales.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Do you want one?
    Will it make you smile?
    If the answer is yes or no to any question,then buy one.
    hth

Northwind

It depends on the frame tbh. Like, my Ragley Ti fixes the problems of the other models IMO, getting away from the stupidly stiff Mmmbop and the heavy and still pretty stiff Pig. Though having said that, it could still be softer at the rear. But yeah, it basically takes all the good things, little of the bad, so completely worth it for me. Just a shame it’s a Lynskey, so probably won’t have a very long life.

OTOH my Soda is quite Soul-like, just softer. But the difference in stiffness is more a matter of degrees so it’s a less dramatic change from “too stiff”. Much harder to say that’s worth it really. (except it cost me less than my Soul did, that’s worth it!)

I suppose it also depends which P7 it is- older ones were ace, recent ones are dead-feeling boat anchors. IMO of course but I don’t think orange got to grips with CEN testing at all, they just threw metal at it, then lost interest in the P7 altogether.

plus-one

I had the Ti itch couple of years back yes I bought one it was lovely and teeny bit lighter than quality steel frame … But it wasn’t massively different to my nice steel frame so I sold it 🙂

But yes buy one its what it’s all about 😉

br
    Free Member

I’m just wondering, apart from weight, will I notice a huge difference between steel and TI and can you really justify 2k on a hardtail

Why does it matter whether it’s a HT or FS, can you justify £2k on a bike?

It’s not a huge difference, but enough IMO to make them worthwhile.

beaker

I’m back out there in a couple of weeks Dan, give me a shout and we can grab a mediocre brew at the EFI.

dan77
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I’ve got a few months to think about it, if I do get one and decide I can’t justify it over the P7 I’m sure someone on here will be interested in it,

Beaker are you at bastion?

schmiken

I truly love my Kingdom Double9 (650) but didn’t get on with my Titus Eleven. Its always worth riding one before you splash out, much like any bike.

If you’re near Loughborough you can have a spin on mine.

dan77
    Free Member

Schmiken, I’m down South but I’m if I’m ever up you way I’ll bear that in mind, thanks,

chakaping
    Free Member

I never thought I’d find myself saying this, but I’d advise trying a decent 29er HT before spunking for a ti bike. Something slackish with a 120mm or 140mm fork.

Personally I don’t think I’d go back to 26 for my HT needs.

scotroutes

I’ve had a wee Ti hardtail for several years. I also have a Ti tourer/crosser.
    I’m currently looking at Ti 29er options.

I’d advise doing lots of research into what you want it for as it could be an expensive mistake. The comment above regarding 29ers is especially relevant. Do you want to make an expensive long-term investment in a wheel size that is being phased out for higher end bikes?

beaker

Yes Dan, or at least in a couple of weeks I will be.

cinnamon_girl

Justify? Seriously, why?

matther01
    Free Member

‘phased out’ will make it boutique not antique!!

dan77
    Free Member

Beaker, I’ll be at KAF, only go to bastion when things start going wrong,

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve got a Salsa a la carte Ti and a Soul both set up for XC. The a la carte is about 4lb lighter, flies up stuff and is very comfortable. The soul is very good just a bit slower cos of the weight and a little less comfortable. I use the Soul a lot in the winter when it’s really claggy.

Every time I use the Salsa I smile.

oldboy
    Free Member

Go for it! I’m on my fourth Ti frame and I wouldn’t trade this material for any other. I love Ti, or maybe you’d already guessed. 🙂

alcolepone
    Free Member

i might have a ti456 frame for sale soon, great frame just fancy a change, so you could get a ti frame for a lot cheaper?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I never thought I’d find myself saying this, but I’d advise trying a decent 29er HT before spunking for a ti bike. Something slackish with a 120mm or 140mm fork.

Which is what I did, just killed 2 birds with one stone & got a Fireline 🙂

It’s certainly softer than my old steel Genesis.

fd3chris
    Free Member

After trying various brands of all three frame materials, steel Ali and carbon, the biggest change for me was carbon.

Suggsey
    Free Member

N+1 I believe

Northwind

fd3chris – Member

After trying various brands of all three frame materials, steel Ali and carbon,

In a thread about titanium too 😆

mboy
    Free Member

I’m just wondering, apart from weight, will I notice a huge difference between steel and TI and can you really justify 2k on a hardtail

Was about to say…

Justify? Seriously, why?

But CG said it first!

Why stop at £2k? Just built up my new Kinesis Sync Ti the other week, a £1500 frameset, that has turned into an almost £5k build! Why…? Why not!

🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

I personally think that if you are going to splash out on ti then go down the custom route. I did with my Seven Sola and it rides exactly how I wanted it too and fits me like a glove.

jonnyv
    Free Member

My Cotic soda ( large) bike is for sale if you fancy the ultimate Ti hardtail,super high quality Cy Turner spec’d frame?

takisawa2

£2k for an off the peg 26″ wheel hardtail… 😐
    I’d try some other options, but if nowt else floats the boat…do it. 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I was kind of linking titanium to the steels 🙂 but you know what I mean 🙂

jonnyrockymountain

Having tried all materials on a hardtail ie steel, carbon, ti
    The latest being ti I would never buy anything else now if that helps

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Spending £2k on a titanium hardtail is definitely a decision you make with your heart, not your head. Once you’ve actually bought it, that’s when you need to justify it. Here’s a good starter for ten “it’s a frame for life”

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ti looks best, at the end of the day.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I’d just get one of the UK based frame designers to build me something completely unique out of 853 or if I had the cash and they the expertise 951 (or is it 3?)

Rather that than a stock titanium frame I reckon. Oh, and def not 26″ if you’re starting afresh.

chestrockwell

I really liked my old Vitamin T, it defo soaked up the trail better then steel. Ti’s not something you need but it is very nice if you have the cash. If you can afford it and really want it why the hell not!

Agree a bit with above though, if I was buying new I’d probably not go 26″, not that there’s anything wrong with 26″ bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Spending £2k on a titanium hardtail is definitely a decision you make with your heart, not your head. Once you’ve actually bought it, that’s when you need to justify it.

Wise words.

And be aware that many of the ti evangelists on here may be justifying their expensive ego chariots to themselves.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

There’s a saying in hifi hobbyist circles, where some people spend thousands on new components for a minimal performance gain: “the best upgrade you can make to your system is some new music”.

Translated to bikes, I guess this could mean “spend your money on whatever will help you enjoy your cycling the most”. Given that you already have a trail HT, will having another one, off the peg and made of titanium, really make that much difference? Could you consider a custom steel frame, or a road bike, or a fat bike, or a FS, or a foreign cycling holiday?

Good luck in Afghanistan and you and your mates come back safe.

scotroutes

Do the chariot wheels keep you awake when they are crossing your bridge?

firedfromthecircus
    Free Member

If you need help justifying a Ti frame then maybe it’s not for you?

I just bought an El-Mar Ti frame for my birthday, which was kind of a justification. Or maybe just a lame excuse because I wanted one. 😆

But if you are gonna save the money while on tour, and want to spend it on something special when you get back rather than just pissing it up against a wall, then I can’t think of much nicer than a good Ti frame. 😉

philjunior
    Free Member

My lynskey built ti frame for life lasted 3 months. Its al replacement is still taking the abuse after about 5 years although it is 1 or 2 lb heavier.
    I’d consider a 29er over a ti frame. Much bigger difference in the ride. Then again ti does look nice and 2k really isn’t that much for a full build on a nice ht.
    Enjoy the ride whatever you do.

Oh edit: you asked for help. It’ll be lovely you know you want it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do the chariot wheels keep you awake when they are crossing your bridge?

Only the 26in ones.

scotroutes

Only the 26in ones.
    [/quote]Unless they have fat tyres? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Help me justify a TI hardtail’ is closed to new replies.