Fell off on my commute :(

Home Forum Bike Forum Fell off on my commute :(

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Fell off on my commute :(
  • smaca

Riding in to work this morning, decent run in until the last corner :(.

T junction, with poor visibility due to hedges, and no lane or stop markings, so should have known better πŸ™

As I turned in a car was coming the other way fairly centrally in the road, and I was going far to fast and tight towards the center of the road. Tried to avoid, but soon washed out front wheel, and down like a sack of spuds πŸ™

So the normal road rash, but I’ve taken a knock to my shoulder, and it’s quite painful to move / rotate.

So the question is A+E or not ?

asterix

dunno, but sitting typing at a PC probably aint gonna help

Premier Icon Esme
    Subscriber

Yes, get yourself to A E, the sooner the better. And ask them to check specifically for a posterior dislocation – these are often missed even by A E Consultants near to popular trail centres πŸ™„

jekkyl

don’t cycle there. πŸ˜•
    hope it’s all good for you.

rewski

I’d definitely get an xray, could be broken collarbone.

dabble

posterior dislocation

I wasn’t aware you could dislocate your arse.

LardLover

4 of us came off yesterday, downhill on a corner. I ended up having to go to A&E, broken ribs, road rash etc etc. got to go in an ambulance, after 10mg of morphine.

Now at home, off my tits on pain killers and it’s still sore to move.

Bike is ok though, I managed to break its fall πŸ˜‰

Same can’t be said of my cycling gear (over shoes, bibtights, jersey, base layer and gloves).

theflatboy

LardLover – Member

Bike is ok though, I managed to break its fall

Excellent – that sums up how most of us on here would feel, I imagine! πŸ™‚

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

4 of us came off yesterday, downhill on a corner.

Triathlon?

πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon davetrave
    Subscriber

Excellent – that sums up how most of us on here would feel, I imagine!

First question to companions when I had the fall that resulted in broken elbow and dislocated shoulder:

“Is my bike alright?” (Through comedy goofy teeth and top lip split through…)

Response:

“Yeah, you managed to get underneath it to protect it…”

Edric 64

Crashed on the road yesterday under the viaduct in the centre of Bath .As I came down the Wellsway I knew it was damp and thought be careful still crashed on what I suspect to be diesel ,didnt hit a drain cover or repaired bit just lost it ,buggered a brand new pair of bib tights and now have the usual very raw weeping hip !!

smaca

Took a trip to walk-in centre (had clients in so couldn’t waste the day at A+E).

Verdict as movement is fine, but tender, and no obvious signs of bone damage = Ibuprofen for next 2 days to minimise swelling /bruising, cold compress today followed by hot compress from tomorrow.

Fortunately the bike is fine, as was my laptop and tablet that were in my back pack.

When asked how my bike was by a co-worker I said: “Fortunately it is unscathed, I will heal, the bike won’t :)”

Si

TiRed

Almost lost it on a damp patch at the end of my road. Very slippery today, and I geared down on the fixed too. When I broke my collarbone, diagnosis was rapid and unequivocal. Glad nothing seems broken. Voltarol gel is very good.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I nearly binned it riding through Haywards Heath town centre last week, think the dry weather means that any touch of moisture turns the surface into a slippery mess. It’s actually better when it’s properly wet – keeps washing the contaminants off the surface.

ska-49

I’ve had two offs in the 4 weeks of starting my new job.

1- tried to manuel the commuter after a few days ownership with a crappy rear brake (that I forgot about) and went straight off the back onto my ass and arm. Clipped in with bike on top of me. Horrific bruising, broken rear light and smashed bell.

2- Went around a mini roundabout, slowly, and somehow washed out. Think it must of been diesel. Cant work out how else it could of happened. Impaled on keys and some lovely bruising.

Look forward to what the future may hold πŸ˜•

jonba

Glad I’m not the only one. Bruised after comin g off on a left hand bend. Front wheel washed out. You’d have thought with the price of it people would spill less diesel.

I agree with njee, better when it is properly wet. All manner of slime on slightly damp roads at this time of year.

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Me last week; cycling home washed out on corner that I have ridden hundreds of time. A colleague came off in the same place in the same week. Possibly diesel.

Thrustyjust

Wife works for a dentist, who slid down the road on his bike on Monday. Took lots of skin off his hands and chin. Suffered for half a day, covered in masks and bits to look less beaten up. Found he has broken his thumb as well. So the wife is at home unpaid now……… πŸ™„

wobbliscott

A few years ago I was stopped at some temporary traffic lights at some roadworks and was conscious of the long string of cars that had built up behind me. As soon as the lights went green I got straight on the pedals, but was in a high gear so leant forward to get more power down, but some how managed to roll my fingers over the brake hoods and apply the front brake, which then threw me over the bars right in front of all the cars. Not injured particularly, just hugely embarrassed! Still don’t quite know how I managed to do it.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Did something very similar. Went to go on a greasey roundabout then realised the approaching car was going faster than I thought went to stop massive skid and flump down I went like a sack of spuds in front of at least a dozen cars.

Who much to my surprise they waited patiently while I picked myself up. I think maybe they were too busy laughing to run me down.

mrmo

was out with the club and brand new tyres, all over the place. Somehow i managed to stay upright the whole way round, unlike the woman who binned it on one of the final corners of the day. Just heard a thump behind me as she went down. Lethally greasy corners, the salt they put down seems to hold moisture throw a load of diesel on top and you might as well be riding on ice.

andeh

Yep, I had a similar wash out last Monday on my way to work.

Steep hill to 90 degree corner (Peglars in Doncaster), front wheel slid out, smashed my head/shoulder/knees. The guy in the car behind got out and checked I was ok…

“Christ pal, you ok? You went down like a sack o’ shit!”

I think I just had my weight wrong, not used to these funny bikes with skinny tyres.

theflatboy

I did a quality stack on my commute, right outside Angel tube in front of a lot of people. There’s a little raised divide between the buslane and the road and I came up to it just as the lights were changing, so hopped daintily onto the divider, and dropped down with consummate style. Unfortunately, my chain dropped off as I did so, so when I then put in a massive pedal to speed off, I went straight over the bars…

Big cuts to elbow and knee, but I got back on and skulked off round the corner away from the crowds before stopping to evaluate the damage… πŸ™‚

jdizzle

Weirdly I had my first commuting based “off” after 4 years of regular commuting yesterday. The local council decided to be extremely diligent in the gritting of roads round our way despite it being north of 8 degrees C. Unfortunately the roundabout I was trying to navigate was so gritty that it was probably more slippery than the ice that they’re trying valiantly to prevent.

I have the usual gravel rash and aches and pains, but most annoyingly my almost new endura thermolight 3/4 length bibs are toast, I cracked my posh S-Works prevail helmet and my 2 month old road bike now looks very second hand and needs a new mech hanger and some bar tape.

Not my best start to the week. Bad times.

khani

I stubbed my toe getting the bike out of the bike room, and then tripped over the poodle when I did the stubbed toe dance round the kitchen..
    It wasn’t pretty.. πŸ™

growinglad

Blimey, glad it’s not just me then….

“downhill on a corner. I ended up having to go to A&E, broken ribs, road rash etc etc. got to go in an ambulance, after 10mg of morphine.

Now at home, off my tits on pain killers and it’s still sore to move.

Same can’t be said of my cycling gear (over shoes, bibtights, jersey, base layer and gloves). “

Been there, done that and still have some of the drubs left for when I have other “mishaps”

Still nursing a broken thumb September time, much better, but still a bit achie in the cold when changing gears on the MTB.

Still, better than being a fat bar-steward eh!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Fell off on my commute :(’ is closed to new replies.