Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Help me find a new TV. 32", HD, not Tesco
  • nbt

We need a new TV as the old CRT is on the way out

Needs to be 32″ max to fit in the available space

Lounge and TV by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Had decided on this from Richer Sounds, but when we went to buy at £270 the local store was out of stock: in fact most of the country was out of stock. Stock is still limited, and the price has gone up to £350

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv—all/samsung/ue32k5500/sams-ue32k5500

Richer Sounds offer a 6 year guarantee. Same TV is the same price at John Lewis with a 5 year guarantee.

I had a look and found this alternative at less than half the price (only a 1 year guarantee, of course), but we don’t want to buy from Tesco.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/technika-32g22b-fhd-32-inch-full-hd-1080p-slim-led-tv-with-freeview-hd-with-jbl-speakers/265-7364.prd?skuId=265-7364

Do we need to go full HD given the size of the room? We are maybe 12 feet from the TV. Not too worried about a smart TV as we have a Now TV box we can plug in.

Any recommendations of a specific TV we should consider?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is that a 32″ crt you’ve got now or is 32″ the size of the casing? We’re looking to replace a 32″ crt soon but found current 32″ stuff looks tiny in comparison.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

you won’t see any discernible difference on a 32″ panel between 720p and 1080p, so full HD isn’t really that vital.

andyl
    Free Member

Buy a 42″. Probably similar outer casing dimension as your 32″ CRT

nbt

That’s a 24″ CRT. A 32″ flatscreen with a tiny bezel will JUST fit in that space, hence the request “Needs to be 32″ max to fit in the available space” – based on the measurements of the screens I’ve linked above

khani
    Free Member

just got a new 49′ that’s the same size as the ten year old 40″ we had before,

wobbliscott
    Free Member

As andy says – the external dimensions of your CRT will more likely be closer to 42″. You think you don’t ‘NEED’ andy bigger but what’s need got to do with it and once you’re used to the bigger screen you’ll look back at 32″ as if it were some relic from a bygone era – like TV’s before remote controls. Anyway, no need to waste time deliberating over what TV to get, just buy a Panasonic and get on with your life.

Cougar
    yamyamblade
    Free Member

I always look at John Lewis as they price match and normally have extended warranty thrown in, service is excellent and never any issue if need to return etc

Cougar

As andy says – the external dimensions of your CRT will more likely be closer to 42″.

There’s no way a 24″ CRT is going to be physically equivalent to a 42″ flatscreen, not whilst I’ve got breath in my body. However,

That’s a 24″ CRT.

Are you sure? It looks much bigger than that from the photo, you’re not measuring it horizontally are you?

Cougar

Nice matching pairs of Crocs, incidentally.

IHN

It’s a crime that, in this day and age, people in the North are still too poor to buy carpet.

It’s that the pigeon loft at the end of the yard?

nbt

We’d have massive physio bills from getting sore necks seen too, that pic is taken from my normal seated position 😉

thanks to all those saying “just go 42″, but as above, we’re already jumping from 24 to 32, the space from the side of the chimney breast to the curtains is about 750mm so a 40″ or 42” just won’t fit

tinybits
    Free Member

move your chimney?

😉

tinybits
    Free Member

hang on, you’re a crocs wearer…

BURN HIM!

IHN

Angle the stand it’s on, pull it forward a touch, buy a 42″ 🙂

nbt

It’s my hand built log store – built by eye, I can’t afford a tape measure

The Log Stores by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Might be 22″ or 23″. Certainly no bigger than 24″. Had it for almost 15 years now

Aldi rip-offs. Can’t afford “real” crocs, but they’re great for nipping out to get more wood for the fire 🙂

that pic is taken from my normal seated position

Do you actually watch telly, or just listen to it and see some shapes moving about in the far distance? 😉

nbt

I measured that at 10 feet this morning. You might want to go to specsavers 😉

Pfft, I’d be shifting that stand round, or getting a new one and having a 55″ in front of the window 😉

mefty
    Free Member

32″ blimey that’s a bit big. Don’t Richer Sounds have the cheaper Samsung (non Smart) in stock either? I would go for that if they do, I got a Samsung a few years ago for that sort of price and it is great.

EDIT: Not an expert but most people seem to think external devices are better than having smart integrated, I have just got a Chromecast and it is like magic.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, wish I’d not asked the size question now. Was trying to help but it seems to have gone off at a tangent.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

mefty – you’re dead right. I’ve got a 3 or 4 year old Samsung SMART TV in our bedroom – the built in smart features now operate so slowly it’s painful to use. much better to have eternal devices that can be upgraded cheaply and easily. All I want from my TV is the screen. Everything else is redundant as I plug it into my home cinema amp so I get audio from that and channel changing from other external devices.

letmetalktomark

We had/have a similar space issue.

We needed to replace an aged 26” LCD TV that was maybe 6 years old at the time. With the more modern slimmer bezels we could go up to 32” but no more.

We went with one of these – albeit an earlier model – This was 2(?) years ago:

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-32wd756bu-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-32-with-freeview-hd-cable-management-system/p2775092

Very happy with it.

They do a 720p version too if full HD isn’t required:

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-32wd603bu-led-hd-ready-720p-smart-tv-32-with-freeview-hd-built-in-wi-fi-cable-management-system/p2533348

jackal
    Free Member

Hmmmm will some of the TV’s you’ve linked to actual sit on the TV stand you’ve got (at the angle you need) without one of the legs hanging off the front???
    It looks a little awkward as it is now so I’d say you’d be best off getting a new corner TV stand and as said above bring it out a little and you can have what size TV you want then…

br
    Free Member

Just go to JL and buy a Toshiba in whatever size fits.

Pointless looking at the picture quality in shops IMO, as it never looks the same once at home.

the-muffin-man

Why would you not go full HD – they are so cheap for a 32″ telly.

We have the one you are looking at – it’s fine…

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue32k5500-led-full-hd-1080p-smart-tv-32-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi-dark-grey-silver/p2751169

aracer
    Free Member

Just forget the stand and wall mount it, which is how ours is in a similar space to yours (I’m not sure why the TV has to stop at the curtains rather than overlap in front of them, so you’ll easily fit a 40 or 42).

nbt

How many of you lot are married with a wife who cares about how things look as much as (if not more than) what telly she can watch? 😆

I showed Mrs NBT the 32″ version in John Lewis recently and she was appalled at “how big” that was, she went bananas when I suggested that for about £20 more we could get the 42″ version!

I did consider a wall mount, something like this

but again no go, even though you won’t actually see the bracket as the tv will be in front of it…

nbt

In the end I went to a local TV shop where I saw a tv that someone had traded in. 32″ linsar smart TV, full HD, 3*hmi, 2*USB, even a scart socket. £80. Perfect

Not sure the pic links will work as I’m on my phone, but here the old 24″ CRT next to the new telly

IMG_20170218_135315 by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

and the new telly in place. Right size

IMG_20170218_205641 by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

mefty
    Free Member

Shame the lilies didn’t last. Good buy.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you have been better asking extension/conservatory advice for the structure that would be housing the new media room before getting tv advice? 😛

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a new TV. 32", HD, not Tesco’ is closed to new replies.