Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road cleats but also a flat peddle.
  • lotto
    Free Member

I use road cleats (Shimano) on my commuter. Like spd flats I would like a road/flat combo so I could nip out to the shop/pub of an evening. What is out there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You mean these?
    I have been getting away with just riding on them at the moment

lotto
    Free Member

Have you been using them on just flat trainers? No slipping when wet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pair of sandles, and I don’t ride that bike in the wet….
    I have a 10 year old roadie for those duties

lotto
    Free Member

Then no. I’m after a road cleat held within a grippy flat cage. A compromise I know, however one I could live with.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m with mikewsmith, my winter bike has exactly those pedals, they work perfectly for around town duty with any slightly grippy trainer or shoe. Wet or dry ! Pretty sure no road specific/flat pedal exists. Loads of spd ones out there.

tomhoward

Loads of spd ones out there.

Each a rubbish as rubbish as one another…

wilburt
    Free Member

spd sl’s make perfectly good flat pedals thats what makes them more verstile than spd’s.

MrPottatoHead

Some googling turned up these which might an easier route to go down that dual sided spd-sl.

https://flypedals.com/products/the-original-fly-pedals

It would probably be pretty simple to make a DIY version.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve got to disagree with the consensus, i find pedalling spd-sl’s with trainers on for more than about 1min or up any sort of hill gives me sore feet.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I am damn sure that you won’t find a road cleat one side and a flat the other. Why would you? Minimal need as generally road pedals are used by those riding with some ” intent”. The halfway house is MTB SPD and flat.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Have a look at wellgo qrd quick release pedals, you could pop a spdsl off and clip a flat in.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The problem with riding SPD/clipless pedals with trainers is they are narrow so you’re pushing down on the inside half of your food. On my MTB i’ve got some flats with clips – Time Z control. Perfectly fine with trainers, reasonably grippy even though the clip bars protrude up form the surface of the pedal, but they just sink into the soft sole of the trainers. Unfortunately Z controls don’t seem to be available any more and the new Time platform style pedal that seems to have replaced them don’t look as good.

Opens up the debate about the point of road specific cleats though. I do have them on my road bike but struggling to notice any benefit over MTB style cleats. I suspect for the average person they’re point less and the average person would be better of using MTB style cleats on their road bikes too.

jekkyl

*pedal 😀

righty
    Free Member

not sure if they are still made but I had a toeclip and strap attached to a cleat that you clipped in not sure if it was look or shimano tho, think I still have tho

OmarLittle
    Free Member

not sure if they are still made but I had a toeclip and strap attached to a cleat that you clipped in not sure if it was look or shimano tho, think I still have tho

the wattbikes in the gym i go to have pedals like that. There are also ones which have a look keo on one side and an spd on the other. They are wellgo but dont know the model number.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road cleats but also a flat peddle.’ is closed to new replies.