Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help me choose between these 2 brakes and why?
  • jam-bo

XT just work

Didn’t realise formula were still in business.

slowrider
    Free Member

Definitely shimano for long term hassle free use and maintenance

iain1775
    Free Member

XT are great, found my Formulas massively under powered, a faff to work on with limited spare part and pad availability
    Shimano are completely the opposite, loads of power, dead simple to trim hoses, bleed and swop pads and a decent UK distributor

vorlich
    Free Member

TBH I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I’ve used Formulas (MEGA) for years and they’ve never let me down. Great modulation and power. I have SLXs on my Jones and they’re also great (easier to bleed), lots of power, but less modulation. You’ll get used to whatever you use…

ratherbeintobago

I thought Formulas were meant to be a bit digital?

I also thought the Shimano approach to spares was to throw away and buy a new brake?

vorlich
    Free Member

I thought Formulas were meant to be a bit digital?

Not IME

haggis1978

Both will be good. I have a few sets of formula and an old xt. All good brakes. Hence I’d look at them aesthetically now and the new XT are Gopping!

Kato

I thought my Formulas were ace but the Shimano’s I replaced them with were definitely less hassle

atlaz
    Free Member

I just changed my Rx brakes for XT. No long term opinion yet but so far I’m happy with the XT and haven’t seen a reason to swap back. To be totally honest the Rx were pretty much fit and forget and I never thought about replacing them until I went to the alps and suffered a load of fade. Not saying the XT wont be the same but with the rotors and finned pads I’m expecting a bit more time.

On the other hand I never had an issue getting parts or pads for the Rx brakes. They did have an annoying rattle from the levers though.

Given the price, I’d get the XT.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Never had any hassle with my Formula brakes, light, beautifully made too.

monkeyboyjc

Shimano, no contest. Personaly id Just go with slx and save yhe cash sucking up the ‘massive’ 20g weight gain.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose between these 2 brakes and why?’ is closed to new replies.