Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Help me choose a dog.
  • Spaceman
    Free Member

Our kids are angling for a dog as a pet, and we’re coming round to the idea, I’ve had dogs in the past so know what I’m letting myself in for!

Our criteria are it has to be

-small (to fit in car with three kids, camping gear etc, and into our smallish house without causing too much disruption. ie a German sheperd would not be good)

-good natured (again because we have kids)

-able to run a good distance (XC rides and GT/innerleithen)

-be able to follow me down a downhill course! My friends’ collies are great for this, amazing to watch! (collie would be a bit too big for us)

We’ve been considering one of these, a Parsons Jack Russell.

we would have to call it Eddie, obviously!

Anyone got any opinions on the breed and suitability as a mountain bike friendly dog? From reading about them it seems they can run all day and seem quite good with kids.

Or any other options?

I throw myself on the wisdom of the singletrack massive!

Pook

border terrier. Best dogs in the world!

the-muffin-man

Border Terrier!*

<end of thread!>

*although suitability as a mountain bike dog made be questionable as they tend to shoot off after rabbits and other small animals when they feel like it – and only come back when they can be arsed!! :o)

enfht
    Free Member

One that can be trained to poo in a bag and then hang the bag from a tree all by itself?

soobalias
    Free Member

get a rescue.

dont get a working breed unless you have the time and inclination to work it.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

what about a smaller bread Lurcher, great personalities and can run for ages.

Not speaking from personal experience but asked a silimar question when sister in law got one.

Spaceman
    Free Member

A rescue dog would be an option, but really want to get a puppy (soft I know, but the kids really want a puppy). Also I’ve known a few rescue dogs and while some are great, others turned out not to be so good. I know it’s the owners that make a dog, but it’s easier to make it your dog when you have it from a pup.

Would a Parsons jack russell need a lot of work? Seem to be good as pets as well as working dogs from what i’ve read.

I like border terriers, and definately an option, a lady in our street has one and it’s a lovely dog, missus not so keen on them for some reason.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Working Cocker Spaniel?

2hottie
    Free Member

Border Terrier. Mine will follow me on the bike for 2hrs plus of running! hard as nails!

I live in a small house with the GF and the dog doesn’t get in the way. They are small enough to fit in the boot of a small hatchback, yet have the heart of a loin.

Pics of Brian..

Hope this helps,

2hottie

Spaceman
    Free Member

Brian is so cute, border terrier moving up list!

Sorry, Captainflash, don’t like spaniels, don’t know why really. Also any spaniels i’ve know have stank when they got older!

redthunder
    Free Member

Joxster
    Free Member

Get a Husky 8)

hicksville
    Free Member

is a springer too big? good working dogs and able to cover the miles.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Border Terrier vote from me as well.

As long as you can put up with the hair loss

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Border Terriers are great dogs. If I ever take the plunge,that’s what I’ll go for.

baa
    Free Member

Brian the dog from Family Guy

Onzadog
    Free Member

Staffie cross? You’ll be hard pushed to find something that’s more of a cuddle monkey. Short haired (depending what it’s crossed with) and very tenacious.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Border terriers are OK if you can put up with the piercing yap they have.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

presenting dot long haired , broken coated jack russell , not sheep (or anything else that runs friendly) but a great dog , took us 2 years to train her. Fearless, likes swimming in resevoirs after ducks.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got a Jack Russell, normal style. He’s spot on with the kids (8 and 2), and he’ll walk/run all day given the chance. And no one would ever get near the house without us knowing about it! Crafty buggers though.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m sure Hora will be along shortly,and he will agree…

Westies are mint.

Meet Eric:

JohnClimber
    Free Member

uponthedowns – Member
    Border terriers are OK if you can put up with the piercing yap they have.

Male Border terriers barks are fine IMHO

Here’s another lively shot of Archie playing catch.

Spaceman
    Free Member

stonemonkey, what a lovely dog, really that hard to train? wo. My last collie cross was trained to heel, sit, stay, stop running and come back in about an hour!
    Teetosugars, lovely dog again (owner looks a bit dodgy mind), but whilst I’m not looking for a devil dog, westies are just a bit too soft looking fo me!

Staffies are great, a mate had one for years and it was the nicest dog, so a staff cross might be a shout. Cockers are nice dogs, but are a bit too big and hard work I think for us.

Good to hear Jack russells are good with kids.

Think It’s a toss up between a parsons terrier and a border terrier, i’ll post up our new dog when we have it.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Thanks spaceman,

To get her to come back on command consistently , yes . However, other commands were learnt quickly. I had a border collie before and these dogs are intelligent in a different way, if you know what i mean. Dont let this put you off they are great dogs and make lovely family pets.

trout
    Free Member

My Daughter just got a Parsons Russell

and what a cracking little character it is
    cant wait till she gets fed up and gives him to me

Bred to keep up with the hunt so stamina is not a problem

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Borders seem popular around these parts,
    meet Kobe, 9 weeks old

And Braid

Great with the kids.

Milkie
    Free Member

Working Cocker Spaniel, if you’re going to be doing a lot with it. If its your first dog, then don’t get a Cocker.

hora
    Free Member

http://www.epupz.co.uk/dogDetails.asp?breed=Border+Terrier

Im leaning towards the Border Terrier-it would be easier to take out on a bike. Ive seen alot of inbred Westies with skin, joint etc problems. I know it goes on with every breed but for some reason around our way every other Westie seems to be on medication or has to avoid the rain/water etc. Ours is spot-on though, he gets wet at least twice a week, loves mud but I wouldnt take him on a long bike ride (he’d do it though). The only time hes seen a vet is due to disagreements with bigger dogs. Our dog loves children but after a while starts nipping their ankles!

Coasting
    Free Member

If your looking to take the dog on reasonable rides you should b looking at a medium size dog as the smaller dogs will suffer later in life from the mileage.Something like a Dalmation or German Pointer.Both good with people and built to run.

hora
    Free Member

DONT GET A RETRIEVER OR LAB! No offence if you own one but jesus they do my head in and they do suffer joint problems sadly.

anagallis_arvensis

I fail to see why you would want to take a dog mountain biking.

anagallis_arvensis

oh and contary to popular belief, lurchers dont like running very far or for very long, they are sprinters that like sleeping a lot.

hora
    Free Member

I fail to see why you would want to take a dog mountain biking.

Agree. Ive never seen paw-shaped BG gloves.

I should have bought a Lurcher. Darnit! Bingo is nuclear-powered 🙁

runswithscissors

They’re not terriers………this is a terrier! Airdale, great dog both as a pet and an athlete, we have two this is Alfie…..

soobalias
    Free Member

anagallis, depends what cross they are – my mates is part saluki and will run all day quite literally. however i too fail to understand why anyone wants to take a dog out mountian biking. I sometimes accompany the dog on my bike – never the other way round

OP.
    so you are going to get a puppy cos the kids want one.
    you think you can train a terrier in an hour.

congrats. you are not only encouraging the breeding trade but will soon be helping to fill the animal rescues. Still as long as someone tells you its cute, thats all you want eh.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Our Tillie, great with kids, doesn’t appreciate cats, frogs and starlings!!

jimster
    Free Member

We’ve got an Airedale too, very independent to put it mildly.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Not really sure about types of small dog, but get a rescue dog. Honestly so much more rewarding than a pedigree. If you get a good one, which in this day and age is not that hard, a good re homing centre will be able to help, they usually have files on the dogs, they will do anything for you. They genrally seem to be so greatful that you have given them a home. They do have the odd issue sometimes but then any dog can have this and you do have the benift of knowing this before hand rather than with a pup you have no idea what it’s going to be like.

I would recommend a dog like mine, collie/greyhound/lab cross, great nature and loads of endurance and super fast! But maybe a bit on the big side?

hora
    Free Member

As Tillie had a Starling? Our dog has killed two- one when he was circa 6months (cornered in the garden when it was picking out a worm) then couple of weeks ago- a Magpie that didnt realise how quick Bingo can move 🙁

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

you want a beagle! Don’t tend to suffer in later life with ailments can walk/run all day, sturdy and very good natured!

here is mine chilling out…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a dog.’ is closed to new replies.