• This topic has 41 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Help me choose a book
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

My friends daughter turns 16 next week and wants a book for her birthday – she says something ‘dark and intruiging she can get lost in’.
    I was thinking of ‘Sleeping in Flames’ by Jonathan Carroll ‘cos i enjoyed it myself, any other ideas though?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    Dracula by Bram Stoker

muddydwarf
    Free Member

She’s already got those 🙂 She doesn’t read the regular teenagew fiction so need something more mature.

CountZero

I recommend A Madness Of Angels, by Kate Griffin, then she can read The Midnight Mayor and The Neon Court. They are Urban Magic stories, set in London, and are very dark indeed, but with humour all the way through. Kate herself is only 25, and has eleven novels behind her, her first, Mirror Dreams a young adult book, was written when she was fourteen, under her real name of Catherine Webb. I think your friends daughter will really like her books, Kate is a very accomplished writer, and writes a very good blog as well; kategriffin.net

RichPenny
    Free Member

Travels With My Aunt by Graham Greene

The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad

Cannery Row and East of Eden by John Steinbeck. The first to introduce his style and the second because it’s one of the finest books yet written IMO.

My Idea of Fun by Will Self, though that might be a bit twisted for a 16 year old!

Cougar

I enjoyed Poison Study recently, might float her boat?

kimbers

alistair reynolds- revelation space
    china mieville- perdido street station

iDave
    Free Member

How dark?

Atomized?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Actually, what about some Neil Gaiman?

Neverwhere or American Gods

Also, Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger.

scuzz
    Free Member

House of Leaves

TheFlyingOx

Something by Iain (M) Banks?
    The Wasp Factory?
    Feersum Enjin?

john_drummer
    Free Member

1984?

deus

+1 kimmbers, both great books.

Iain M Banks, has to be Player of Games or Use of Weapons. Proper dark screwed up books!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Miss Smilla’s Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

dark and intriguing she can get lost in

Trust me:

matthewjb
    Free Member

What about the ‘Twilight’ series? I understand they are very scary.

Alternatively the Iain M Banks novels are certainly dark. It just depends if she can get over the SciFi element. Some people have a mental block about things like that.

TheFlyingOx

Another dark one (or three)…

The Gormenghast Trilogy, by Mervyn Peake

masonmarxx
    Free Member

The Gargoyle – Andrew Davidson

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Reckon this fits the bill

Properly dark. Quite disturbing too!

johnners
    Free Member

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

Both wide-ranging and dark.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I would recommended the Rum Diary if the film wasn’t coming out and it didn’t look like a cash in.

vegasdave
    Free Member

The Master And Margarita..possibly the best book that I’ve read.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Oh and Shantaram

leffeboy

Woppit is right, not least because by the time you realize what is happening you are already ‘in’ the story and are not so shocked – amazing piece of writing.

Alternatively how about ‘the night watch’ by Sergey Lukyanenko? Great story that you care about with decent pace but at the same time mixed up with themes of good and evil and a great portrait of Moscow

RustySpanner

cheese@4p

Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman would be my choice

emanuel
    Free Member

tolstoy’s anna karenina,kafka’s the castle,selection of plays by chechov,or ibsen.
    flannery o’connor is good too.or end of an affair by greene.
    man in the high castle?

emanuel
    Free Member

thomas bernhard is pretty dark.
    valeria and the week of wonders by nezval.nicely dark.
    or maybe lighten her up a bit,my family and other animals,or apprenticeship of duddy kravitz, by richter.

samuri
    Free Member

Silence of the Lambs?
    Dorian Gray?

spw3

I’m currently half way through the audiobook version of The Contortionists Handbook, a recommendation I noted down from a podcast a year ago but have only just got to starting. Cracking read.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Good suggestions there everyone, time for some ‘net browsing!

thomthumb
    Free Member

lolita?

emanuel
    Free Member

people’s history of the us.howard zinn.
    darkest book I’ve ever read.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Lots of good books suggested, not sure how they would play with a 16 year old girl.
    The Master and Margarita for example is a wonderful book, but slightly dense for a 16 year old in my opinion.
    I would second A Madness of Angels, its excellent and would be very enjoyable for a teenage girl I would have thought.
    Winters Bone is excellent if perhaps a little short. I gather it was recently made into a film as well.
    If she is interested in Sci-Fi then the Culture series by Iain M Banks is excellent with the standouts being Excession, The Player of Games and Use of Weapons. The latter two having quite dark moments.
    Another Sci-Fi great is The Forever War. Very dark and also very funny, its very much a war story first and Sci-fi second.

masonmarxx
    Free Member

Oh and Shantaram

+1 for this too. great book!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

To get lost in, One hundred years of solitude

Dark, Fight Club, its about schizophrenia

twister666
    Free Member

Another +1 for Shantaram, occasionally violent but an absorbing read and interesting insight into the underbelly of Mumbai.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (The strange case of…)

CountZero

I was giving this a bit of thought this afternoon, and there were some more that she might well enjoy. Kathy Reichs, who writes the Temperance Brennan ‘Bones’ books has written a Young Adult book called Virus, which has Tempé’s niece, I believe, and Tempé peripherally.
    She might well like William Gibson’s most recent trilogy, the ‘Hubertus Bigend’ series. (Quiet at the back, there!).
    Difficult to categorise, they’re sort of noir-ish, set in a kind of present day, but slightly out of phase, where tech is recognisable but just a bit more developed, great female characters, and fashion and clothes feature, too, with viral marketing of heavyweight denim, and obsessive Japanese replicas of American iconic Korean war flying jackets.
    Look for Pattern Regognition, Spook Country, Zero History.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Diamond age by neil Stephenson

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a book’ is closed to new replies.