Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help – Insurance Renewal Time!
  • squaremonkey
    Free Member

So I need to renew my buildings and contents insurance and as always the bikes are causing a problem.

I can insure up to £5k worth on my current policy which is fine by me but the lbs valuations come to just over £8k which according to the insurer I have to insure up to. this makes the policy premium jump from £500 to £1k!

The best option I can see is to insure the most expensive bike with a separate bicycle insurer for about £300, taking my total premium to about £800.

For what it is worth my current policy is with the Post Office and the individual bike quote was from protect Your Bubble.

Anyone else got any better suggestions from similar experiences?

Thanks

lungman

Having similar problem trying to ensure my 3 bikes m&s want £1200! I

kevin1911

Depending on where you store your bikes, it might be worth investing in some ground anchors, some big chains and locks and then self-insuring. £300 a year is, IMHO, a ridculous amount for insurance.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

The AA seemed to come up trumps for me with 3 bikes on the policy

squaremonkey
    Free Member

AA are the best total quote so far but still £1k

It is frustrating because I would happily insure the bikes for less than there RRP or rebuild from new value but the insurers are saying you have to insure against the full value. That means a £1500 2nd hand bike has a rebuild valuation of over £4k!

timdriver
    Free Member

I’ve just gone with More Than. £290 a year for buildings + contents with a £4.5k bike named on the policy. I decided against adding on ‘bicycle cover away from the home’ as it added an extra £250 to the premium – and to be honest the bike is never out of my sight unless it’s at home. Incidentally, changing the bike’s value from £3.5k to £4.5k added about £1 to the premium!

tinsy
    Free Member

I don’t know the full answer here, but do give Direct Line a call, having had a few instances of trouble in the past one being stolen bikes, its not always about the paperwork & the premium its how its delt with & DL was first rate.

I wont change my cover for a few sheckles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help – Insurance Renewal Time!’ is closed to new replies.