Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help! I'm about to get lost. What Sat Nav?
  • themightymowgli
    Free Member

My faithful Tom Tom One of about 5 years is in its final death throws so I’m looking for a new unit. TT seem to be getting a lot of flak for software issues. I drive all over the country for a living so need one quite badly especially in rural areas.. Do I just go for a fresher TT or is there someone out there that can recommend something different?
    Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Obligatory, ‘have you got a smartphone you could use as a satnav, as it will probably work out cheaper’ post.

PePPeR

TT’s customer service is still crap, but I still prefer their actual navigation software.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve got the iPhone 4. Any experience with the various apps?

stretchy
    Free Member

Navigon on the iPhone works great. I have been using it all over Europe and the UK for a few years now.

alaric

For dedicated Sat Nav, I’ve use both TT & Garmin, and much prefer the Garmin – I find the mapping much clearer, & you can change the zoom level permanently, unlike the TT which reverts to it’s preset level after a short period.

If you have an Android phone check out Co-Pilot in the market. Similar to Garmin, also does multi stop planning and a few other things!

lord
    Free Member

i have an iphone , waze is ok for nothing , so far not had a problem with it ,

trail_rat
    Free Member

I use nav free on odd occasions i need sat nav

trail_rat
    Free Member

But a dedicated sat nav be better if a heavy user imo ….. Garmins ime are shite i usually end up with them from hire companies – seem more solid made than tomtoms though – tomtoms ive used have all been adaquate and got me where im going easy

Jamie
    Free Member

I have used Navigon with no trouble. You will need a charger to run off the fag lighter, or power from somewhere, as GPS does nail the iPhone battery.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Thanks all. Trail-rat is right too its to be used all day everyday and I also rely heavily on the Google maps app when finding a field on the west York moors or a shed in Norfolk so need the phone free really. The amount of people that suggest I turn right at the big green tree…..
    Anyone use the TT XL or a Garmin Nuvi?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help! I'm about to get lost. What Sat Nav?’ is closed to new replies.