Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help – how to remove powdercoating
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Took my frame to be powdercoated.
    Picked it up this evening, they seem to have done a good job but let's just say I've got my money's worth of paint – every surface has been coated, including all the threads on the bottom bracket and the brake mounts.

So my question to the masses is this:
    How best do I clear the threads without a) b*ggering them completely and b) stripping the paint from the rest of the frame?

Thanks,
    Adam

Rivett
    Free Member

I wouldn't call that a good job. Something with a sharp point for the threads?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Taps to clean the threads

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Sorry – meant that the finish seemed good, but that they'd not blanked it off like I'd asked them to.

From where might one acquire a set of taps? They sound expensive…

I've also got some fearsome paint stripper in the garage (green semi-rectangular tin, Nitro M-something) but I'm reluctant to try it because I'm bound to get it everywhere…

epicyclo

Dangerboy – Member
    …From where might one acquire a set of taps? They sound expensive…

Halfords – you just need a cheap set.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Taps – can be acquired cheaply ish ( couple of quid each???) in normal sizes like bottle bosses halfords or an engineering shop- BB thread tool will be expensive. Take it to your LBS and get them to sort the BB? or spend ages picking it out with something sharp? Or if you have old BB cups you could cut a slot in them and use them. I'd take it to the LBS for bb facing and chasing tho and do the rest myself

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I used a Dremmel.. Worked a treat.

legend76
    Free Member

i used to work in a place that did powder coating,when it went wrong they burnt it off in a big oven.

ken_shields
    Free Member

As TJ said above, take it to your LBS to retap and face the bottom bracket, face your disc mounts, and clear and face the headtube. If you try all this yourself and you're not sure what you're doing ther's a significant risk you'll bollox it up and have to take it to the LBS anyway.

They will also very likely to have taps to clear out all the other threads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help – how to remove powdercoating’ is closed to new replies.