Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help, help, help……..I need some good reasons not to buy this
  • Tiger6791

Carbon Frame with SIDs on for £650, I've always wanted an ultra light bike but I don't need one!

The rest of the bits I've got lying about to make it up into a decent bike, XT mechs, FSA Carbon cranks etc.

£399

and these.

£249.99

cynic-al
    Free Member

How light is it compared to what you have?

sofaking
    Free Member

cause that frame looks gopping 😆

Tiger6791

How light is it compared to what you have?

I have 28lbs full suss that's light enough to ride all day and plan to do Dusk 'til Dawn on

Really fancy a sub 20lbs bike 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It's not that much lighter than the kinesis xc pro3 IIRC, which is nowhere near as ugly (I actualy quite like it and usualy I hate aluminium frames).

I was tempted by a light XC bike, but put off by your critique of my line choices!

Junkyard
    Free Member

you need n+1 bikes

BUY IT[/center]

clubber
    Free Member

I don't think it'll built up to sub 20lbs unless you're going to spend a lot on top of the £650 for frame/fork…

brassneck

I've only done D2D/thetford once, but I remember thinking 'I wish I had brought my ss hardtail' as I whooped through those little dips and tight turns.

BUY IT NOW

FuzzyWuzzy

Looks OK to me, way better than the carbon 456 that's for sure. But yeah building that into a sub-20lb bike will still need a lot of cash for the bits.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tiger6791 – Member

I have 28lbs full suss that's light enough to ride all day and plan to do Dusk 'til Dawn on

Really fancy a sub 20lbs bike

As above, F&F not gonna save 8lb WTF!11LOL

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes the frame+fork wont save 8lb, but might get rid of about 4 or 5lb in tigers case swaping from a orange 5 and bolt through forks.

And there would be no point building the 5 with superlight XC bits.

Tiger6791

Wouldn't be a frame swap , would be a fresh build.

I've some half decent kit lying around, XT F&R mech, XTR shifters, FSA Carbon cranks, Easton carbon bars, zoom carbon seatpost.

Would need to buy some light wheels though.

Tiger6791

I was tempted by a light XC bike, but put off by your critique of my line choices!

Not me 😯 and it's not a Five

clubber
    Free Member

Still won't be close to 20lbs IMO. You'll need some very light wheels…

Most people who claim to have 20lb bikes don't really I reckon..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sub 20lb, you'll need a wheelset around the 1,350g area, when counting grams XT is a fair bit heavier then XTR, for a sub 20lb build you'll need XTR in fact you would probably need SRAM XXX, you'll need a nice lightweight saddle at least an SLR as well, alu and Ti bolts etc, I've no idea which FSA carbon crankset you have but some of the basic versions are not that light.

I've taken you into the £1300+ region right there and I bet it still would be short of a sub 20lb build.

Tiger6791

Job done, not buying it, will keep on saving for something better

organic355
    Free Member

I agree, Ive got a carbon Giant XTC, which i got for around £800, Ive added SID teams, carbon bars, Full SRAM X.0, Avid Elixirs, American Classic wheels (1486g), nobby Nics, light tubes & light saddle and its still at 9.8kg (21.6lbs). getting below 20lbs is going to be very very difficult and costly (Ive spent about £3k sofar including original bike purchase).

bammy
    Free Member

Tiger, give me your phone number and I will get my wife to give you a bell, she has bloody thousands of reasons why you dont need to by that!! 😯

Tiger6791

I will get my wife to give you a bell

Hmmmmmmm okay! if you're okay with that 'spose 😯

timdrayton
    Free Member

Excuse the blatant plug

You could buy my wheelset!

pro 11 olympic ztr rims dt aerolight spokes 1485 grams

Could leave the racing ralph tyres on these are also v light…

Mails timdrayton@live.co.uk

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have a 21.5 lb bike with a XC frame which is only 300g heavier than that with ZTR 355 rims etc and would be hard pushed to get it under 20lbs – Even with new forks its gonna but one 21 I expect 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*Scratches head trying to remember which STW'er on the blue '5' was critisizing my line choices at Swinley*

You: On a blue 5 with stans 355 wheels

Me: Brutaly hungover and just aiming my 456 at whatever heppend to be in my way.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help, help, help……..I need some good reasons not to buy this’ is closed to new replies.