Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Help Get My Mate A New Bike, How To Get Funds??
  • iowrider
    Free Member

Hi guys. My best mate recently had his bike stolen, he loves riding and loved his bike. It may have not been the best bike in the world but he sure loved it! Anyway, he has gone away to visit family for 1month out in Canada, and i thought while he was away it would be a good idea to build him a cheap singletrack/trail shredder!!

So.. i sold all my spare bike related nonsense (mostly crap finishing kit) and raised £50. I bought my mate a Kona Lava Dome Frame in green, (Really light, awsome frame, old but pretty!). 6 days into the month and struggling on how to make money? I have a job and am using alot of the small amount i get monthly, but im really stuck on how to make money now. Nothing to sell!! I was thinking washing cars?

Anyway in order to complete the bike, i think it will cost me £100 now, all 2nd hand parts!!

Any ideas on how to raise money are appreciated, and any old/free working parts i will gladly accept! Dad said i should get everyone who is willing to help to donate their left over pennies/odd change in their paypal account!? Every penny counts!

Hopefully by this time next month i will have a complete bike for my mate 🙂

I will post pics at the end.

Any help appreciated!

millsonwheels
    Free Member

Do you have shared friends or people you both know at college/ work, if you asked everyone to chip in or a few of you washed cars etc you might be able to raise the cash? Good luck and I hope you get all the bits you need in time : )

roblerner
    Free Member

Nice idea!

Cutting grass and trimming hedges – right time of year for it.

Diawl
    Free Member

How about I start the ball rolling by donating a pound to your paypal account? Yeah, right. Best try another forum, how about freeloaders.co.uk.

iowrider
    Free Member

thanks for that hepful comment Diawl, i am asking for ideas on how to raise money, not steal yours! I thought that idea dad gave me was quite good, every penny counts!

loddrik
    Free Member

To be honest it just sounds like ‘how do I raise money (can you all give me some freebies please)’.

iowrider
    Free Member

ok im not getting much help/advice, other than sod off, maybe this should get deleted

2hottie
    Free Member

Get a better job, or.. put a list up of what you need an you may get more help that way.

Gooner
    Free Member

ive just taken a pair of RaceFace lockon grips off one of my bikes
    they are mint apart form some scratches on the endlock rings

if you email me your address i will send them to you – i’ll even pay the postage!

chela
    Free Member

There is a precedent for this kinda thing.

Didn’t work out too well then, so maybe that’s put people off helping.

iowrider
    Free Member

if people think i am going to do that should this be deleted? i am only asking. if people are worried, dont help me. 🙂

iowrider
    Free Member

out of interest how much do you guys think i should charge per car wash around my local area?

cheers

timbercombe
    Free Member

£5 and make sure you wash the wheels. Don’t do it with a mate either – split gains.

iowrider
    Free Member

ok. I will take my Fenwicks bike cleaner aswell!!

roblerner
    Free Member

Go down to your local riding spot and wash bikes?

iowrider
    Free Member

I think i would get laughed at, lol. And at my local spot its all my mates :/

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

How about you tell us what area your in, then if we can find a willing long term STW member to send all the stuff to, the member then meets you at your house to ‘evaluate’ you, meet your parents and we go from there?

I’m all for helping a fellow cyclist out, but unfortunately many in the past have taken advantage of the free flowing good nature of this forum & made us cynical.

I would give parts and/or money if you would agree.
    Sound fair?

timbercombe
    Free Member

If your spot’s all mates, get them all to chuck in a tenner, pocketmoney or whatever and you’ll be sorted, there’s not always a need for it to go more than local.

iowrider
    Free Member

yep so far from the help of mates we/i have got together:

Kona Lavadome frame

Hussefelt Cranks

Bikehut bars

Hussefelt stem

front wheel

tioga headset

couple of old tyres

😀

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

where are you based??

iowrider
    Free Member

down south!!

timbercombe
    Free Member

Isle of Wight surely (possible mis-spelling)

iowrider
    Free Member

yes 😀

iowrider
    Free Member

Any other ideas?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

given the nature of your posts thus far, and what looks like all classifieds, no help from me I’m afraid. Given recent events on here, I’m cynical to say the least.

You want free money? So do I.

walleater

Sell a load of stuff on the Classifieds but don’t send any goods?

rs
    Free Member

Are you IWH in disguise?

iowrider
    Free Member

whats iwh? I am selling some of my spare finishing kit to raise money 😀

I was thinking putting odd job fliers round my area..

BlingBling
    Free Member

More begging….great.

Jamie
    Free Member

iowrider:

Any other ideas?

Pick your timing better?

atlaz
    Free Member

I think what PK is saying is that your only involvement in the forum has been classifieds.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Tarmac some driveways.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Can you blow a trumpet really badly and drive a flat-back transit?

iowrider
    Free Member

i dont think this thread is going anywhere, mods, please delete

BigDummy
    Free Member

Don’t go, we want to lynch you, pre-emptively. 🙂

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

Some “tough guys” will be visiting you and your Mum about now 😆

iowrider
    Free Member

ok thanks to those who did offer me genuine ideas, but it seems more of you think i am simply begging for things off you.. so mods, please delete.

joe1983
    Free Member

Timing couldn’t be worse mate. You did ask for free parts and/or free paypal money – I think you can forgive people for thinking you are begging.

iowrider
    Free Member

yes i have just read that scamming thread that guy did and realised what most of you were on about. If i could edit this thread i would not mention your old parts/left over paypal coins!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Are you Mikey in disguise? Are you Mikeeeey in disguise?

Laughed at Bigdummy, “don’t go we want to lynch you”…….
    correction! I’m still laughing now! I can’t stop! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Help Get My Mate A New Bike, How To Get Funds??’ is closed to new replies.