Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help finding creak – Yeti 575 2012 (Ally rear triangle)
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I have a really annoying creak on my bike. It is only when I put quite a bit of torque through the drive train. I cannot replicate it by standing on the pedals when stationery or bouncing the suspension. It does it when seated or standing and mashing the pedals. I fitted a new bottom bracket about 200 miles ago as it had developed play (SRAM), I torqued this up correctly using a torque wrench, and lubricated it well at the time. I have tightened and lubricated the pedals, chainring bolts, rear derailleur and the rear wheels spokes are taut. I have also lubed the seat rails and seat post, just as a matter of course. I have cleaned the bike and inspected the frame for cracks and can’t find anything. I am starting to wonder if it’s the free hub (Hope)? Any ideas before I admit defeat and give it to the LBS to sort.

Thanks.

jim
    Free Member

Loose mech hanger bolt(s)?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Thanks, I didn’t check those. I will add them to the list.

davebarrie
    Free Member

My most recent creak (incidentally on an ’08 575) was the freehub pawls & springs. Like you it only appeared under a fair amount of drivetrain load. Popped some new ones in with fresh grease & it’s happy (and even more clicky than before…)

I’m now troubled by superstar brakepads in my Hope techs. They rattle over bumpy stuff because the retaining clip isn’t holding them far out enough. Always a noise to fix!

rogerturner

The last time my 575 was creaking it was due to the bolts on the dogbone being slightly loose. There are quite a few different pivots that can generate random noise.

jam1e
    Free Member

I had exactly the same creak – only when I was peddling up hill.

Turned out the freehub was in bits and had a big crack in it.

It’s worth taking off the cassette and having a look

tombon
    Free Member

My wife’s 575 did the same, drove me mad, stripped everything down and greased. But it didn’t go away, eventually took the rear mech hanger off and greased where it touches the frame, and hey presto silent bike at last.

mildred

My wife’s 575 did the same, drove me mad, stripped everything down and greased. But it didn’t go away, eventually took the rear mech hanger off and greased where it touches the frame, and hey presto silent bike at last.

My asr 5 was the same. I didn’t grease it but used loctite instead.

Sandwich

Rear wheel skewer may need tightening but I’d go with the free hub first.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Thanks all. I will try all of the above. Any obvious way of telling if it’s the freehub internals?

Deveron53
    Free Member

From memory, my ’07 575 with alu rear. I cured the following creaks:

1. greased the seatpost and tightened the seatpost/tube clamp
    2. changed chainstay pivot bearings. They were a little rough.

My SLX MK1 chainset has always creaked a little bit. Still going after 4 years!

woody2000

It’s probably cracked 😉

rhayter

My mate had a huge crack in his Intense’s swing arm – it didn’t crack, but his back wheel wobbled about rather alarmingly…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’s probably cracked

OK, thanks.

Today I took the free hub apart, cleaned out all the old grease, inspected it, and regreased, cleaned everything up. Removed the dropouts, cleaned them and the frame behind them, greased them up and refitted nice and tight…and…no creek!!

I think it was the dropouts as the bolts weren’t tight, despite having been loctited from the factory. I’m chuffed, a silent bike at last. 🙂

Thanks for the help peeps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help finding creak – Yeti 575 2012 (Ally rear triangle)’ is closed to new replies.