Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help choosing a Trail HT
  • bobster
    Free Member

I find myself needing a new bike, a do-it-all HT as that’s my preference, and this is an only bike, I am currently bikeless 🙁

I want a weapon for the singletrack, fast, agile and fun. Capable on the DH and techy stuff. Competent on the climbs will be fine.

I have narrowed my choice to a Cotic Soul, Genesis Latitude (Late November availability by the sounds of it), Pace 325.5 or a Whyte Trail in either the Alloy flavour (Buy off the peg probably) or the Steel (Buy frame and build).

Help! Thoughts please, owners of any of the above or people that have tried a couple? Have tried the old Altitude, and old Soul in medium, but am told at 5’8″ I should go small. Have ridden a demo Whyte 19 Trail and was pleasantly surprised. Just can’t decide if I should go steel or not as I had that notion in my head to start with (Yeah, I know).

Ta for any help.

mboy
    Free Member

Decide on budget, off the peg or custom, frame material etc. first, then it’ll make it easier to make a decision…

All the bikes you mention above are very good, I’d happily own any of them. I’ve got a Genesis Altitude, I think it’s a great bike, I can highly recommend one if that’s what you want me to say… But I could also highly recommend the Soul too, and I just love the look of those Whyte 19’s too!

Personally, I’m of the opinion that for the type of riding I prefer to do, steel is worth the 1-1.5lb weight penalty over ally. You need to decide that for yourself too really.

Size wise, at 5ft 8 you’re probably capable of riding a small or a Medium quite happily from most brands. If you’re really long in the leg and short in the torso, I’d suggest small, otherwise a medium is probably going to be a more efficient fit.

Anyway, when you planning on getting the bike? A quick internet search has revealed the following, in stock, in a medium size…

http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b107s2p6811&rs=gb

And it’s a 2010 bike (in the nice cherry red colour) with £300 off! Much better to buy an outgoing model with a price reduction than a new bike with fancy stickers IMO.

MrNutt
    Free Member

ask Krag if he’ll sell you the new mmmbop, the domains, the wheels, stem, bars and brakes that we’ve got in the living room?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

STEEL IS REAL, FACT! 🙄

takisawa2

Orange P7S.
    Ok, so theres a few downgrades on kit, but for £950 online the P7S has to be a bargain.

Soul is the obvious choice if you’ve £1300+ to spend.
    I do like the steel White tested on STW this month. Love the seat-stays.
    Tough call. 😕

MrNutt
    Free Member

the P7 is one hell of a good bike, if you’re gonna buy complete go for that and upgrade the bits when they wear out

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Frame only, what about a Pipedream Sirius?

MrNutt
    Free Member

now as you mention pipedream, yes its full suss, but its gurt lush:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-pipedream-torero-55-am-fs-frame

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign

crezzy

i have both soul and bfe and i would highly rate both

dougieb
    Free Member

Also if you are a STW premier member you get a 10% discount at http://www.cycle-world.co.uk. This is applicable to frames – I’m just about to take advantage and purchase a soul frame.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing a Trail HT’ is closed to new replies.