Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help choosing a Hybrid Bicycle
  • chris101
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I do not know much about bicycles however I need a bicycle in a budget of £300-£400 to use mainly for leisure – local cycling on the roads, some off road (field with hills and some drops) and possible future commuting to work.

From my limited knowledge and a little research, it seems to me I need a hybrid bike.

The few I have had a look and are in budget are the following –

1. 2015 Giant Escape 3 Hybrid
    2. Boardman Hybrid Comp
    3. Carrera Crosspath Hybrid
    4. Carrera Crossfire 2 Hybrid
    5. Trek 8.2 DS Hybrid

The bike will be kept outdoors in a bike shed, so ideally I need a bike that can with stand all weather conditions (the bike hanger has a roof to protect from direct rain but the sides have air holes) and ideally less than 11kg in weight (the lighter the better).

I am not sure if there are any other better bikes in my price range and welcome any other suggestions.

Many Thanks

Stainypants

I thought this looks good value and you may get another 10% off

go outdoors

downgrade
    Free Member

It probably depends what the mix of on-road/off-road is going to be like. Not sure what your ‘drops’ are like – none of these are ideally suited for that, but in theory you can ride any bike on just about anything…

To me the Boardman looks best but I might just be swayed by the disc brakes. For longer distances on the road or good paths it will probably be the best out of those.

Pinnacle bikes are popular around these parts, more so the more expensive Arkose model but have a look at http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithium-two-2015-hybrid-bike-ec071280

CraigW
    Free Member

Worth a look at Ridgeback as well. The Ridgeback Velocity is pretty good, about £400.

m360
    Free Member

Not gonna get something 11kg for that money. Very happy with my kona dew plus from wiggle though £388. So far so good. Way nicer than anything by careera.

tinribz
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be riding my (Whyte) hybrid off anything droppier than a kerb.

What’s wrong with a 29er? Although I suppose there are hybrids and hybrids, that Pinnacle seems about right steel fork too.

Northwind

I have a Boardman- well, a Boardman frame and forks, anyway. Fantastic bit of kit, I’ve built it up with random other bits but the stock one is very good.

Carrera Subway is always a good option, nothing flash, just rock solid, well conceived and executed. It’s also probably a very good fit for what you describe since it’s based on their mtbs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing a Hybrid Bicycle’ is closed to new replies.