Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hybrid bicycle/Mountain Bike required for commuting and off road
  • chris101
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I do not know much about bicycles however I need a bicycle in a budget of £300-£500 to commute to work 3 days week 15miles and occasional off road biking.

A friend who knows far more about bikes than I do has suggested to go for a hardpan (front suspension bike).
    For me the main requirements are –
    1. Weight, the lighter the better
    2. Comfort (need a good seat)
    3. Reputable in terms of quality/longevity (it will be kept in an out door bike shed)

The few I have had a look at are the following –

1. Evans Cycles – GT Avalanche Sport 2015 Mountain Bike
    2. Trek 8.2 DS
    3. Boardman Hybrid Comp Bike

I am not sure if there are any other better bikes in my price rangea, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanksa

m360
    Free Member

What do you class as off road biking? It’ll always be a compromise, but for 15 miles commuting I’d be looking towards that as the priority.

A Kona Dew Plus is £388 from Wiggle. Perfect for commuting and hard packed trails (nothing technical). Maybe swap the tyres for something more aggressive if you like. Bit of a bargain at the price I think. Hence why I bought one 😛

Should add:

Saddles are easily changed.

Suspension is not a must, in fact it’ll add weight and little “benefit” at your price point.

Rigid mountain bikes are available at your price point, and would suit a bias towards off-road with maybe slick tyres for the commute?

johnnystorm

Pinnacle Ramin One from Evans. Use leftover budget to buy a second set of wheels/tyres for the commute?

matt_outandabout

Evans had a well cheap Pinnacle, flat bar, discs and Deore commuter in the shop soiled section this week if you want a 56cm…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Hybrid bicycle/Mountain Bike required for commuting and off road’ is closed to new replies.