Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help – Being chased by debt collectors
  • can-uk
    Free Member

I’m being harassed by debt collectors for a £60 debt for a vodafone mobile broadband account.

I cancelled the account and then a month later cancelled the direct debit.

I am confident that i do not owe them anything… but keep getting letters from debt collectors.

How do i get these idiots off my back?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Did you cancel the contract before the agreed period was up (12,18 or 24 months usually)?
    If not then you haven’t got very many legs to stand on.

can-uk
    Free Member

Rockhopper – Member
    Did you cancel the contract before the agreed period was up (12,18 or 24 months usually)?
    If not then you haven’t got very many legs to stand on.

Contract end was december… i cancelled the account in Feb.

They’re saying contract was closed in July due to non-payment.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Can you check your bank statements for evidence that they collected the direct debit?

racefaceec90

i would make an appointment to see someone at citizens advice.they will be able to help you

Cougar

How long ago was it? This July, do you mean?

i cancelled the account in Feb.

How? Have you got proof of that?

can-uk
    Free Member

racefaceec90 – Member
    i would make an appointment to see someone at citizens advice.they will be able to help you

No longer a UK resident.. but will contact CA to see if advice can be given remotely

Cougar – Member
    How long ago was it?

Started receiving letters a month ago. I cancelled the contract in Feb 2011.

can-uk
    Free Member

How? Have you got proof of that?

By email to vodafone via the “contact us” page in the online account. Part of the problem is a can’t remember the login.. 😳

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you contacted them to dispute the payment?

totalshell

tell em to go forth.. they came after me for 350 quid that my girl friend ( ex) ran up 9 years ago saying the account was in my name said i knew nowt and stuck to that did nothing.. a year on heard nowt. if you dont live in this country.. how where are they going to trake you to court?

Cougar

By email to vodafone via the “contact us” page in the online account. Part of the problem is a can’t remember the login..

Did you get confirmation from them?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pfft. I woon’t worry about it, unless you get letters from a court.

I’ve had various companies threatening all sorts, including companies I’ve never had any form of account or transaction with (EDF you are scum!). Even had one bailiff’s firm acting for BT threatening to turn up on my door the next day to take goods to the value of a non-existent debt. That was funny. Told them they were welcome to come and stand outside my door all day.

Basically, without a court order, there’s absolutely bugger all any company can do to get anything from you. If you truly don’t believe you owe them owt (and check your facts very carefully…), then you can be fairly confident that they will just make a lot of noise but ultimately do nowt. Not over £60, unless they have an airtight case against you.

And bailiffs will invariably need police in attendance to ensure that the ‘peace’ is kept. Today’s events show that….

If you’ve got police and bailiffs outside the door, yer screwed, basically.

A lot of bailiffs firms use very heavy intimidating tactics to frighten people into handing over money, which is illegal. I’ve even had to hold off two nasty lumps at my front door demanding a debt incurred by a previous tenant of a flat I’d moved into. Police came and told them to get lost. 🙂

Debt collection is a growing industry, sadly. 🙁

can-uk
    Free Member

Did you get confirmation from them?

no written confirmation however, i rang the call centre and they confirmed they received the request. Cancelled the DD after that.

large418
    Free Member

Just been on the “One Show” that if you raise a dispute then they cannot come after you until the dispute is resolved. If you tell them that you know this, then the debt could get wiped off.

Also, ask for the transcripts of any phone calls – they always record these for “training” purposes

highclimber
    Free Member

ask the debt collectors to prove their legal agency to the debtor, if they fail to provide it then tell them they have no reason to contact you regarding the matter and all subsequent communications should be in writing or you will contact the police for harrasment.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Vodafone insist that cancellations are made in writing to the relevant department.

can-uk
    Free Member

Off to bed now.. thanks to all for the advice. much appreciated!

Cougar

I’ve had various companies threatening all sorts

OH had one a while back for a non-existent debt. Got lots of really threatening letters, she was like “oh, lets just pay it, I don’t want the hassle” which is, of course, what they play on. My response was along the lines of “not while I’ve got a hole in my arse.”

I wrote to them denying the debt and unless they could prove otherwise they could go forth and multiply, and I’d treat any other communication from them as harassment. Never heard another thing. I do a fairly reasonable shitogram.

Cougar

This is the letter I sent, which may help.

Dear (name),

Account no: (number)

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (alleged debtor).

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

(name)

cynic-al
    Free Member

They’ll not do much given you’re abroad.

They’ll stop after a while.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Saw that one show thing.
    Send letter saying you dispute the bill & the can’t chase you until the dispute is resolved.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help – Being chased by debt collectors’ is closed to new replies.