Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Helmet lights/head injuries
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/schumachers-injury-caused-by-go-pro/page/2

I’d been wondering whether helmet lights could increase the risk of head injury, so did a quick search and stumbled on this thread?

What about shoulder mounted lights? I can get a fair amount of rotation into corners for the lights by turning my chest more aggressively into them. Chest mounted lights seem like a bad idea and if I’m going to break anything I’d rather it be my collar bone.

jimjam
    Free Member

Tom_W1987

I’d been wondering whether helmet lights could increase the risk of head injury, so did a quick search and stumbled on this thread?

What about shoulder mounted lights? I can get a fair amount of rotation into corners by turning my chest more aggressively round them. Chest mounted lights seem like a bad idea and if I’m going to break anything I’d rather it be my collar bone.

Depends on the type of helmet mount. Some will be more dangerous than others. Shoulder mounted, I would imagine you’d need one on each shoulder.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Getting out of bed is dangerous.

And a Go Pro didn’t cause Michael Schumachers accident, he caused the accident by falling over

Junkyard
    Free Member

No shit sherlock

The question is whether the thing attached to his or your head will/did exacerbate the damage caused by said fall.

I dont think shoulder will work personally

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Don’t know why manufacturers haven’t cottoned onto to building lights into helmets, in ways that will crush/deform upon impact and not catch the ground causing rotational injuries.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am sure the old style lights had breakaway mounts and some- exposure for example still “break” on impact.

Not a bad idea to have an integrated one though – possibly heating is an issue

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rotational injuries, are we still on this – are you related to a tandem rider Tom?

I would expect more injuries would be caused by trying to ride at night without a decent helmet mounted light.

If you are worried make sure the light attachment can rip off in the event of a crash, my Ay-Up’s are held on fine with velcro spots so the will rip off in a crash.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

TJ was a misunderstood genius 😆

I’ve had plenty of headbuts into trees that would have driven a gro pro or light into my skull.

garage-dweller

I have been wondering the same thing.

Ultimately a risk based decision. Risk of a land on top of head / helmet light moment vs. Reduced risk of initial crash vs. Benefit generally of helmet for minor knocks and bang’s.

DezB
    Free Member

The number of riders using helmet lights over the past few years,wouldn’t we have heard something by now if there was an increased risk?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I highly doubt it, you’re overestimating the reporting done by A&E departments. Unless you mean anecdotal reports.

Basic physics really, hard metal object on top of helmet comes into contact with ground instead of nice crushable eps layer. Impact load is then transferred through smaller area.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Helmet lights/head injuries’ is closed to new replies.