Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Helmet lights – still dithering!
  • Alex

For road commuting and as an additional helmet light to my trusty Hope Vision 4 for night riding. Lack of faff, reliability, decent brightness (don't need a night sun but find my Vision 1 a bit underdone for commuting) and proper fitting for a helmet. Run time is important as well and 3hrs would be ideal.

So I've discounted the Dealextreme ones. Leaving me looking at

Joystick – lovely small package, no ext batt, not that bright but it's an additional not only light, rear smart port light could be good for commuting. Decentish run times. UK firm

New For4th Lights. Tiny head unit, monster brightness, UK designed and built, long run times, good looking helmet mount. Downside is batteries in the camelbak and from my old lumi days, that was always a bit of a pita. Super focussed beam idea for additional mtb light, too tight for commuting?

Ay-up Ultra Lite. Tiny head units, batt also on helmet (good and bad I guess), good reviews, seem reliable, fit and forget. Decent brightness between fourth and joystick. Aus direct shipping etc, not sure if still getting stung for import duty etc.

Plus anything from the fellas on here making great stuff. I know it's a bit moon on a stick wanting one light to do road and mtb, and I'm not going to spend more than £200.

Also know this has been done to death, but hey it's better than working!

organic355
    Free Member

Joystick for me, has been great on the bars and moving it to the helmet as soon as I get my exposure flash and flare set, or maybe a flare for the rear and a New Maxx-d for the front :-))

argyle
    Free Member

minewt 250 cordless

http://www.niterider.com/prod_minewt250.shtml

guy i ride with just got one and it seems a cracking bit of kit

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

In a similar boat.

I don't want Chinese torch stuff but I also won't spend £500++ on a Lupine.

Options for me are 4Fourth, Trout and Luminous. All very bright, all well made, all around £2-300.

Dibbs
    Free Member

As a commuting/supplementary light the Light & Motion Vis 360 is worth a look, the front gives a reasonable amount of light (110 lumens) but it also has a rear and it uses USB charging, so you can charge it up when you get to work and save a minute amount of your own electricity.

Alex

Thanks all, that newt looks quite good. Cheap as well.

Dibbs, I don't think 110 is going to do it for me as a helmet light. Already have a bunch of bright rear lights although did like the integration of the joystick.

Main commuting problem here is no streetlights, rubbish road surfaces and mud, lots of mud in the winter. So decent front light definitely required!

Not sure what trout and luminous are doing now.

Earl_Grey

Out of interest, why have you discounted Dealextreme stuff? The single mode TR801 is as bright as joysticks I've ridden with, nice and light for helmet mounting and even fits in a joystick mount.

I wouldn't recommend the mgicshine type lights based on my previous experience, but what's not to like about a TR801 for under 30 quid?

Bedds
    Free Member

Same question for me.. my Niterider HID has died and I now hate it and NR with vengence. that being said, mate runs two mi-newts and says they're handy bit of kit..

erring towards the joystick personally

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a Joystick and also the Ayup full set (BTW, Ayup are back in the UK now so no more import duty and high postage) and i much prefer the Ayups. Joystick is not quite bright enough in my opinion and i've also always stuggled to get more than 2hrs 15mins at full power despite it being sent back under warranty once. Ayups will run 3hrs plus easily (with the small 80g battery) and no doubt longer if you get the newer generation battery that has lower settings and a flashing mode. Weight is marginally more than the Joystick when mounted but not noticeably so. Ayups also seem pretty bombproof, 2 of my riding mates also use them and they've all been faultless.

Alex

EG – use diff helmets for MTB and commuting. May seem a small thing but there are good reasons. Just want a simple switch between them.

You've put me right off NR now Ian!

DezB
    Free Member

Ay-Ups are so light I know a chap who just keeps his on his helmet, day or night riding!

nickc

I got one of those Airbike Everlights from On One, pretty much does what you want, juts noticed they're OOS though. The LUU light is supposed to be good as well.

shortcut

I am running Four4th on the lid at the moment. Run times are good and the beam is great too.

Weight of the light unit is negligible and I just don't notice it there.

As to the battery personally I stick it in a jersey pocket (the cable is long enough and that means the helmet and camelback are not attached with is a PITA.

HTH

Alex

It all helps fellas! I'm better informed if no less confused.

I'll have a look at the on-one site now Nick,ta.

Alex

Hmm that LUU does look good. Like the idea of being able to stick some AAs in it if it goes flat. Ideal for commuting. Choices, choices. Cup of tea and a think required.

2pure
    Free Member

Hi Bedds,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your HID, get in touch on info@2pure.co.uk and we can see if we can help you out. All NiteRider equipment is repairable and repairs are carried out in the UK by us.

Regards
    ran@2pure

Luminous
    Free Member

Not sure what trout and luminous are doing now

Ref the helmet light. I will be collecting the housings, any day now, at the latest, the end of the week.

Think smaller version of the 601, and you won't be far off.

Upto 4 LEDs instead of the 6/7 you get in the 601 and 701.

Just want a simple switch between them.

Yeap, the helmet light will be QR, just the unit itself, no danlging leads, etc, as the lead is on the battery.
    So just depress the clip and slide the light off, and then slide it onto your other helmet.
    The battery can go in a backpack or as I prefer, on the strap of the backpack.

Bar mount, helmet mount, head mount.

Should be over 1200 lumen, with the usual refinements, rubber O'ring sealed, water proof, battery status light, remote switch compatible, etc, etc.

I've just got to prize them out of the factory and get them finished, during the next two weeks.

Hope that helps.

🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@earl grey!

that torch looks spot on – just wondered what batteries do i need to order and charger for it? if you could let me know as im going to order one! gets some great reviews and obviously you have one too! if you could link me to some batteries/chargers pref off dealextreme that know would be really appreciated 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Luminous – sounds very promising 😉

Luminous
    Free Member

Cheers Mat.

I'm looking forward to just seeing new parts, soon.
    😉

Earl_Grey

Hi Didzy these are the batteries and charger I bought for mine:
    Battery
    Charger
    You'll need an adapter for the plug, or do what i did and wire-on a UK plug. I carry my spare battery in a nuun tube to give it a little bit of protection in the event of a crash (wouldn't want a li-ion battery to get punctured).

Alex

Thanks Luminous.. I'll hang on then until I've seen what you have coming out.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@ earlgrey!!!!!!

L-E-G-E-N-D!!

cheers my good man, ordered that torch, with charger batteries uk adaptor with delivery for £22.36!!!!

is this going to be a cracking bargain of the century??? i have a maxx daddy on the bars so this should be the trick if its the claimed 230 lumens, which looking at the reviews it looks highly possible! thanks again for the original link, and the ones after! truly awesome!

ohhhh

what run time do you get on max setting for that exact batter buddy?
    is it really that good?? as good as the exposure joysticks etc? cant believe its that cheap!

gearfreak
    Free Member

Diablo – more light than than a joystick, same size, built in battery. If you're in S wales this shop has a sale…

http://www.castlebikes.co.uk/

Bedds
    Free Member

Hey Ran2Pure.. thanks for that.. YGM

Bedds

Earl_Grey

Didzy – Runtime is apparently around 3h however I've never run it flat it's certainly been used well over 2hrs total run time but I tend to switch it off for forest road/road sections (I have a "proper" light on the bars).

I've been told (by someone who has used both) that the joystick has a better beam pattern but the torch does me fine. At the price I expected a failure so I actually bought two in case one died mid-ride. Nothing has gone wrong so far in over a year of use.

If I had the money I would buy a joystick mind you. Exposure are fantastic at backing up their product and I like the idea of the piggyback batteries and the other accessories for endurance races.

pascoa341
    Free Member

Very interested in your light luminous, sounds spot on what I need!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Helmet lights – still dithering!’ is closed to new replies.