Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Helmet Cleaning – Anybody tried this?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Dug out my “winter” helmet (an old spesh D2) and when I put it on it smelled bad.

I took it in the shower with me which will be a short lived solution as it won’t be long till it’s back to it’s aromatic best.

So I had an idea….how about putting it in a pillow case and doing it on a cool delicates wash in the washing machine.

Is this likely to bollox it or do you think it’ll be fine?

Cheers

foxyrider
    Free Member

It’s mostly the pads which need cleaning. I hand wash my pads and wash the rest under the tap

ken_shields
    Free Member

It’s the straps that smell the worst and they’re fixed to the helmet

iainc

I give the whole thing a quich swish around in the sink with a little washing up liquid after every ride – seems to do the trick

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Warm water (eg shower) and mild baby shampoo seems to be the standard manufacturer’s recommendation for Arai motorcycle helmets so should be ok for any cycle helmet.

Macavity
    Free Member

There is a spray for horse riding-hats that (does not actually clean any muck off but) is very effective at freshening up helmets etc. Charles Owen hat deodoriser. It has got bactericide and fungicide in it.

wwaswas
    allthepies
    Free Member

Talk to TheSwede.

lucien

I’ve fancied the washing machine approach but a bit put off in case it damages the shell of the helmet….might give it a go on my winter lid and see what happens 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

WM likely to dent the helmet at least I’d have thought, unless you can find something protective to put it in.

At least it might get the helmet accustomed to rotational injuries 😀

alexpalacefan

I have been wondering about putting ’em in the microwave. No, bear with me.

It’s bacteria that cause the smell, so the microwaves should kill ’em, right?

Water molecules are what the machine heats up, so if the helmet’s dry it shouldn’t get too hot, right?

Any thoughts?

APF

takisawa2

Polystyrene in a microwave… 🙂
    What about just a liberal application of Fabreeze ?

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve washed my full face and my pish pot in the washing machine, inside two pillow cases, all fine.

DezB
    Free Member

I just wash the straps in the bath, bit of shampoo, rinse.
    Never smells that bad though…

big_scot_nanny

14 posts and no smut? This forum is going to the dogs! 😆

Top tips however, I have smelly helmet also.

Kev

Northwind

Suppose freezing it might kill bacteria, like with trainers. But I’d just wash it thoroughly with baby shampoo.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Helmet Cleaning – Anybody tried this?’ is closed to new replies.