Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Hello to all the Amelias and Olivers.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

There’s quite a few of you, apparently.

Guardian

DrP

In our NCT group there were 4 girls born (circa 2010) – 3 emilys and an amelie…

Not wanting to feel left out, our son Emily will soon see the funny side…

DrP

nemesis
    Free Member

We seriously considered ‘Isaac’ as a name for Nem Jnr (now 6). Glad we didn’t as they’re everywhere! 🙂

It is funny how names go in and out of fashion. When I was a kid I never met anyone else with the same name. Now there are loads of kids with it and given that I never met anyone with the name previously, I can’t help but respond every time it’s called.

cinnamon_girl

I don’t think my children’s names have ever featured in a Top 10 list. 😆

dooosuk
    Free Member

Interesting to see that MUHAMMAD and MOHAMMED appear in the Boys list but there doesn’t appear to be any Muslim girls names in the list.

My daughters name isn’t even in the top 100 🙂

toby1

My first name is Chris – I’m one of 4 in about 20 people in the office I work in, we are legion!

Jamie
    Free Member

My first name is Chris – I’m one of 4 in about 20 people in the office I work in, we are legion!

Wait? What? So you’re not called Toby?

Bunnyhop

I make childrens gifts e.g. bunting, pumpbags. When personalizing them I Like to keep up to date with the latest name list. However I’m always amazed at the weird spellings that some parents have for perfectly normal sounding names.
    As always if you pick a slighty unusual name e.g Ethel, the chances are it will become popular again.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

😀

My 6 month old niece is called Amelia.

twistedpencil

Christ, hadn’t realised how unorigninal we were naming our daughter this January, that’s what happens when you let a six year help choose the name I guess 🙂

Pook

I work in engineering. There are 4 Nigels in our office. Two Malcolms.

I’m a Chris.

cinnamon_girl

Just a point – why have Scotland and Northern Ireland been excluded? Discrimination, that’s what it is. 😐

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You don’t get a lot of Cliffords these days!

mrblobby
    Free Member

My nephew is called Oliver and my niece Emily 🙂 Always wonder how much thought they put into that.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just a point – why have Scotland and Northern Ireland been excluded? Discrimination, that’s what it is.

Scotland:

NI:

RustySpanner

Penelope, John, Harold and Charles are lovely names.

However, surely Poppy, Jack, Harry and Charlie are more suitable for a hamster or a budgerigar?
    😉

brassneck

Our eldest is registered as William, but has always been and will always be Billy. Thought it was the right thing to do at the time, but now considering changing it officially, never called him William or Will, even when cross.

RustySpanner

At least he has the choice.
    He might want to be a Billy when he’s older, might want to be a William, Will or Willie.

Billy is the name of a bookcase. 🙂

binners

cinnamon_girl – Member

I don’t think my children’s names have ever featured in a Top 10 list

Same here. Much to the relief of Chardonnay and Mercedes. They wouldn’t want to appear common

Jamie
    Free Member

Our eldest is registered as William, but has always been and will always be Billy. Thought it was the right thing to do at the time, but now considering changing it officially, never called him William or Will, even when cross.

I was christened James, my family then promptly called me Jamie from day 1.

I really should change all my official documentation, but I really can’t be bothered with the hassle.

…or I reclaim the less androgynous name, James.

…or just make a sandwich.

cinnamon_girl

Same here. Much to the relief of Chardonnay and Mercedes

😆

I didn’t know that “Ava” was a name, let alone a popular one.

“Lettuce” was quite a popular girls name in Victorian times, apparently.

globalti
    Free Member

Lutece, not Lettuce. Tsk.

The popularity of Mohammed would be explained by the fact that quite a lot of people are followers of that imaginary character, whereas there isn’t really a female equivalent for them to idolise, so Muslim girls’ names are a lot more varied.

RustySpanner

A corruption of Letitia, I believe.

Ava is a nice name.
    Nowt wrong with a nice Ava.

globalti
    Free Member

I think she’s been touched up.

toby1

Wait? What? So you’re not called Toby?

Sorry Jamie, my surname is also a firstname (or more commonly a Dog’s name).

😕

nullpointer
    Free Member

He might want to be a Billy when he’s older, might want to be a William, Will or Willie

Or Will.I.Am, although that may mean expulsion from the family.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry Jamie, my surname is also a firstname (or more commonly a Dog’s name).

Who’s a good boy? Who’s a good boy?

You are! Yes you are!

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m a bona-fide, on the birth certificate, Jamie. Lots of blokes, especially the older types, insist on calling me James, even after I correct them. Mildy irritating…

imnotverygood

Your name is Chris Rover?

buck53

Good section in Freakonomics about naming cycles, very interesting how names fall in and out of favour.

brassneck

Or Will.I.Am, although that may mean expulsion from the family.

No judge, no jury, straight to execution.

Scapegoat

My mother is a bit of a traditionalist ( some may say a name snob). When we discovered we were having boy/girl twins we took great delight in telling her they were going to be called Wayne Sheridan and Chelsea Shivaun. Several weeks of disapprovingly pursed lips later she was immensely relieved to hear they had been named after family grandparents, James and Emily!

My Beckhamesque choices of Moab and Bali were overridden, although that’s where they would have been conceived if we hadn’t had to spend all that money on IVF thanks to my bike smash………. 😕

aP
    Free Member

One of my colleagues children are called Jack and Emily.
    Another’s is called Toby.
    But then there’s also Augustus, Fi and Charlie.

Jamie
    Free Member

Good section in Freakonomics about naming cycles, very interesting how names fall in and out of favour.

Oddly, I was only listening to that the other day. Here it is for others:

Freakonomics Radio.

How Much Does Your Name Matter? (Rebroadcast)

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/freakonomicsradio/~5/PuKn9ss2rp8/freakonomics_podcast073114.mp3

ourmaninthenorth

Rather pleased to see in the girls’ list that none of my my daughter’s names feature.

Rather worried that Mrs North’s first name appears in the boys’ list….

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got an Oliver and an Emily.

We are dead common.

Del

my surname is also a firstname

you work at gchq don’t you?

wwaswas

you people aren’t even trying;

This couple called their daughters Perpetua, Clarendon and Helvetica

I expect they wanted some Comic Sons too.

molgrips
    Free Member

…or just make a sandwich

Or get yourself a torch and an Old English Sheepdog.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Hello to all the Amelias and Olivers.’ is closed to new replies.