Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Hello to all the Amelias and Olivers.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Or get yourself a torch and an Old English Sheepdog.

I do like helter skelters.[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMMow_Itqw[/video]

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My girl is now 10 and clearly we started the Amelia trend 10 years ago, now will people stop copying us!

For those about to have kids the next trends will be Anastacia or Gabriella, twins born 12 weeks ago so in ten years time …

bol

I’m an Oliver, and I never met another one until I was about 15. When I was born the fact that my parents had called me that was a bit of a scandal in the village. Apparently it was a bit of an outrage that my parents had given me such an unusual and old fashioned name. How things change.

cinnamon_girl

Does a top 10 dog names list exist? Bet that’ll be entertaining. 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Bit pissed off about that list. When my eldest was born in 2005 we called her Amelia. Never heard anyone else younger than 60 called it at the time and we thought we were being different. She was named after my Gran and I thought the name was a bit too twee at the time.

I can categorically say that my name will never make it on that list. Even searching on google only comes up with me and one other worldwide.

RustySpanner

ti_pin_man – Member

For those about to have kids the next trends will be Anastacia or Gabriella, twins born 12 weeks ago so in ten years time …

Anastasia/Anastacia is a lovely name – if I ever meet you remind me to buy you a pint for not calling her Stacey. 🙂

Gabriella’s a cracker too – you get to sing her this ’till she’s old enough to beg you to stop:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZOPte4hlqE[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

I can categorically say that my name will never make it on that list. Even searching on google only comes up with me and one other worldwide.

Rumpelstiltskin?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Oliver is not my first name…

MoreCashThanDash

Our two kids are the only ones in their 400 strong primary school with their first names, though LittleMissMC has Amelia as a middle name after her great nan.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oliver is not my first name…

DenDennis
    Free Member

my cousin has 2 girls and a boy. likes to keep up the well-to-do image,
    Amelia, Olivia and Charlie.

Common as muck. 😛

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Christ, hadn’t realised how unorigninal we were naming our daughter this January,

I don’t know, seems pretty original to me, mind you, school could be pretty tough going, what with you calling her ‘This January’

DezB
    Free Member

I can categorically say that my son’s name will never make it on that list.

😀

brassneck

you work at gchq don’t you?

That or he’s a character from a Joseph Heller book.

brassneck

I expect they wanted some Comic Sons too.

Where’s that monkey boom tish gif? Nicely done!

Northwind

In my class of 30 at school there were 4 Andrews and an Andrea. Also 2 Neils and a Niall. (but no Neileas) It gets old tbh.

It was much the same at uni. But weirdly, we’re all now in our 30s and I can’t remember the last time I met a new Andrew. Are we dying out? Are we being hunted?

Pigface
    Free Member

How do you pronounce Aoife?? ❓

fasthaggis

So glad that we went for strong names Hercules and Apollo .

(That’s Herc and Pol to thier mates)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seem to be a lot of Sam’s arround at the moment, irritating as for most of my life I’ve not met another one! I guess fireman Sam killed it.

However, surely Poppy, Jack, Harry and Charlie are more suitable for a hamster or a budgerigar?

Or drugs.

Northwind

We’ve got a Hercules that works for us sometimes, he looks about 8 stone. Got to be careful with a name like that. He tries to get people to call him Eric and to be fair, he is totally an Eric but no. As soon as you discover he’s a Hercules, it’s an irresistable force.

globalti
    Free Member

How about Ebola as a girl’s name?

What…? Oh.

Jamie
    Free Member

Are we dying out? Are we being hunted?

verses

Contains naughty words… But also humour… Some of it relevant to this thread…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WXM_qCJFBg[/video]

RustySpanner

globalti – Member

How about Ebola as a girl’s name?

Sensemilia’s nice for a girl.
    Boddington for a boy.

You’ll never meet another…..

matt_outandabout

I don’t believe that Scottish top names – all our kids mates at school are Murdo, Fraser, Archie, Angus, Finlay Hamish and Ruraidh/Rory…

Our kids are on that list, but a decade previously. Ahead of the fashion, clearly. 8)

Cougar

Lutece, not Lettuce. Tsk.

That lass on Britain’s Got Talent who fiddled with herself on stage was called Lettice.

Cougar

How do you pronounce Aoife??

It’s vaguely similar to “Eva”. Mate of mine’s anklebiter is called Aoife.

Sensemilia’s nice for a girl.

I read that as ‘Semolina’ for a moment.

emsz
    Free Member

[sighs]

I’m also Amelia, and I’m going with my mum’s text to me this morning which said:

Knew you’d popular eventually

Thanks mum 😆 🙄

I’d like to say that I’ve always had a bit of a love/hate with it. It was unusual enough for lots of people to comment on. It did make me feel like some Victorian Dramatic dying heroine/ or large plant that won’t survive a harsh winter.

Now it turns out, I’m just common.

Perfect end to my week

matt_outandabout

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Perfect end to my week

You are our generations Sharon/Tracey.

emsz
    Free Member

well, thanks….good to know. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry, Emsz. I would like to talk to you, but your a bit too common now.

*wanders off muttering about who let the riffraff in here*

emsz
    Free Member

riffraff?!?!?

[sniffs pits]

yeah fair enough 😆

anyway mr Jammy, err that’s not exactly a rarity is it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie = 68th.

So I can only assume that makes me…erm….68% less common than yoo! 😛

emsz
    Free Member

go away, I haven’t got time for your nonsense, I’ve got much more importants and grown up things to do than debate with you about how, because of me, the name Amelia is the best, and how Jamie (because of you) is really unpopular.

stop bothering me now

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aoife is not quite “Eva” (considering that a couple we know insist on “Eva” being pronounced similarly to “Ever”…it’s a bloody minefield these days with popular names with multiple pronunciations!). It is an “ee” sound to begin, with a sound somewhere between a “fe” and an “fa” on the end, with the emphasis on the “ee”. Gaelic names as a rule are a bloody nightmare…speaking from experience.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve got much more importants and grown up things to do

Those loom bands won’t *insert whatever loom bands do here* themselves.

emsz
    Free Member

I know a Grainne.

It’s pronouced Gronyur

Weirder than weird 🙄

emsz
    Free Member

which reminds me, I need to do a MLP one later

bigblackshed

Boy1’s name has now become more popular in recent years. We were given very raised eyebrows when he was a baby, but at the time, 16 years ago, it was very unusual. Boy2 doesn’t and hasn’t appeared in the lists. Probably would if if it was just the Welsh names though.

I’m another Andrew. Around my age group it was quite popular, at one point there were 3 of us at collage together, bit I think it was a name of a particular time. I’ve been known by my nickname longer than by Andrew, or variations of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Hello to all the Amelias and Olivers.’ is closed to new replies.