• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by devs.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helium
  • timberjack
    Free Member

I was thinking of filling my tyres with helium, as this will make the bike feel lighter and it should float over the bumps better, has any one ever tried it

gecko76

Far as I know the helium molecules (atoms?) are significantly smaller and regular rubber is to all intents and purposes porous .

druidh
    Free Member

YOu really need to fill the frame too as the tyres only will make little difference.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, it works. Do it.

kevonakona
    Free Member

And it’ll only make a few grammes worth of difference at most.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Makes loads of difference, several of my friends have tried it and one swears by it for racing.

scaredypants

best thing to do is inhale it* from an aqualung as well as filling your tubes (just think about the voulmes involved & you’ll see it makes sense – watch it though, that shit’s so light you may need a weight belt just to stay in contact.

(reckon hydrogen is where it’s really at though)

*careful with any post-race interviews, mind – the funny voice can be a bit of a giveaway to the anti-doping squads

thomthumb
    Free Member

[boring mode] on a serious note helium is a finite resource and is in short supply, when it runs out there will be no more mri scans. im amazed that joe public can still get it for balloons etc! [/boring mode]

Wally

hydrogen is far more abundant – lighter too.

aracer
    Free Member

A vacuum is far better.

scaredypants

aracer – you want to ride around with an aqualung full of NOTHING ??!!

🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry, I’d missed your reply, scaredypants. Obviously I meant just the frame and tyres.

Oxboy
    Free Member

If you get big enough tyres you may even be able to float through the air!
    Imagine that a chitty chitty bang bang bike!

devs
    Free Member

The nineties called, they wanted to know if they could have their failed ideas back.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helium’ is closed to new replies.