Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hedgehog strolling around the garden!?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Quick google suggested it shouldn’t be out now, and there is something wrong.

So what should I do ?

daftvader
    Free Member

Put out some cat food and water…. It may well have been disturbed by something instead of injured.

cdoc
    Free Member

^This,
    Has anyone been burning stuff nearby? Ours always panic when they smell smoke or if I get too close to their house with the mower.

wiggles
    Free Member

Throw it back in the hedge

Pook

BBQ

cdoc
    Free Member

The Romans seemed too be quite a fan of them, Pook. Wonder if it tastes like Guinea pig..

daftvader
    Free Member

I’ve eaten Guinea pig… Tastes like rabbit….

qwerty
    Free Member

We had this. It’s not normal. It’s a hedgehog medical emergency. I immediately phoned our local hedgehog hospital who promptly arrived & identified puncture wounds infested with maggots (hedgehog stunk), it was whisked away to hedgehog ITU. The next 48hrs were critical, we were warned to prepare for the worst. Hedgehog had maggots removed, wounds flushed with iodene, commenced antibiotics and was well fed as was under weight. She became “Maggoty Meg”. Several weeks later she was returned, had doubled in weight & was released back into our garden. She made October in the hedgehog hospitals calendar the next year. We donated £20.

qwerty
    Free Member

Emergencies

If you find an ill or injured hedgehog it will probably be suffering from hypothermia, even in summer.

Place it on a hot (but not boiling hot) water bottle wrapped in a towel and put in a cardboard box or recycle box lined with newspaper.

Cover the box in a blanket, put in a quiet place to warm up and phone us immediately.
    You can offer it some water and meaty cat food when it has warmed up.

Please call the British Hedgehog Preservation Society on 01584 890 801 for further advice.

Hedgehogs that need help are:

Orphaned hoglets – found out of the nest in day, or when the nest has been destroyed and the mother killed or injured.

Injured hedgehogs – with open wounds, fractures, bites, burns, or trapped in some way.

Sick hedgehogs – usually found out in the day, thin, dehydrated, possibly poisoned, or with breathing problems. Hedgehogs that are unsteady on their feet (wobbling, rocking) and one with flies around them.
    Autumn juveniles – young hedgehogs born late in the year, weighing under 600g from September onwards – especially if out in the day.

Some hedgehogs should be left alone – they may be nursing females foraging in daylight during the summer, or healthy hedgehogs that have aroused in winter from hibernation. Do not assume they need help unless they are underweight or obviously ill – please ring us for advice.

Ref: http://www.helpahedgehog.org/

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hedgehogs that need help are:

Orphaned hoglets ……

Easily identified by their high level of cuteness

qwerty
    Free Member

Or, just R U N !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeeW

Where about are you? There are plenty of people who run independent hog rescue/recuperation activities in their shed. My aunty did it until she had to pack it up because of ill health.

It isn’t normal for them to be up and about at this time of day but it does happen, better to be safe than sorry and phone a local hogquack to check. Even your local vet will give them a health check. When I was with my ex we would R&R hogs and release them back in to the local wilds if they could get up to their fighting weight >800g.

maccruiskeen

Several weeks later she was returned, had doubled in weight

I think they just pulled the old switcheroo

CountZero

Ernie, that’s clearly a dormouse in a prickly suit for Halloween!

deadkenny
    Free Member

I miss hedgehog crisps 🙁

But if you’ve got slugs, they love them I believe. Might be why they’re about.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t think those big fat pale coloured slugs are edible to any predator. As far as I’m aware the only edible slugs are those small black ones with orange/yellow bellies.

zippykona

Years back when visiting Canada I decided to tell the locals a joke.
    I carefully explained what an xr3i was and what kind of person drove one.
    The joke was then told…”what’s the difference between an xr3 and a hedgehog? The pricks are on the outside of a hedgehog. “
    Blank faces all round and the question, ” what’s a hedgehog?”

BillMC

We’ve one that gets very enthusiastic about the coconut mat by the back door and ‘moves’ it along a bit.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Have taken injured hogs to the vets in the past, treat them for free.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hedgehog strolling around the garden!?’ is closed to new replies.