Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Heckler Owner's
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Ok so have been toying with the idea of going full suss for a bit and stripping the hardtail as a donor, and now the price is down to £899, i am seriously tempted to take the plunge and get one.

So the questions, can they be built light relatively easily? will be strpping the 456 for it which is 28.2 on the shop scales, but thats with a coil pike heavy wheels and wire tyres, but the rest is full xt,thomson, hope so pretty light stuff. If it ends about the same weight i would be happy, but less would be great.

Also is it worth the £130 for the rp23 shock or is the float r good enough, would i regret not getting it? £130 now or £300 later? Not got any experience with either so advice on this greatly needed.

Any pics of light build would be cool.

Cheers Rob

coastkid
    Free Member

this is real funny as i just sold a heckler as was very dissapointed…felt out its dept up at Golspie feeling very light at the back end while my friend on a s works enduro rolled the drops no problems while i front manualled them with no choice!,and at innerliethen on DH trails its float shock just wasnt responsive enough….sorry to sound negative…its a good frame-a classic, but pushed at vertical stuff it just didnt inspire confidence…
    funnily i replaced a cannondale prophet 140mm travel RP3 for the santa cruz and i now reckon it was a way better frameset…now all the stuff is on a a £165 456 frame…imagine that… 😮

unsponsored
    Free Member

Get the DHX 5 coil. Way better for the heckler.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Coil on a Heckler is fantastic, I've got a 07 Heckler, originally with coil, but gone to a Float RP2 to drop the weight and its not too bad. I think the Hecklers were mostly sold with a large volume air can and they ride so much better with the smaller volume can. I ride the local DH tracks on mine with a 150mm fork, I run out of skill before the bike does.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I have a downward biased Heckler built burly for my size and weight but with relatively light components. It is on the nose at 30 lbs for a enduro based bike with a Fox Talas 36 up front. I have just changed the rubber to Nobby Nics, that i must say have hit the spot with me in terms of performance (and weight). And next is a new chainset which will probably go the way of XTR or Truvativ Noir, depending on what deals are around when i come to splurge.

The Heckler in this guise eats downs for fun and is the perfect bike for me, and that's why i built it that way! I had a Scott Genius Ltd before that was difficult to get the best out of but very light, i enjoy riding the Heckler that much i don't honestly notice the extra weight.

I was considering a coil but had the RP23 'Pushed' by TFT and it is 100% better than before, the mod and was a relatively cost effective measure. But defo do the RP23 upgrade, and ano… while the price is that cheap you ain't loosing anything.

Will post a image when i can find my flickr sign in! 🙄

Tomahawk
    Free Member

ere….. nobby nics on now tho. 2010 with the red stripe? You better believe it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Frame is about 2lb heavier. I'm fine with a std fox shock on my 2003 frame. Been fine at IL and Golspie too.

Albanach
    Free Member

Mine is just shy of 30lb (XL) with Deore chainset, Avid Juicy 3s, Fox Float R (never had any problems with it here and always felt good), Fox TALAS 32, Thomson stem and post, Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheelset. Could probably go a wee bit lighter but that sort of stuff doesn't interest me.

If I was buying again I would probably spend the extra £130 for the RP23 then the bike would be future proofed if you know what I mean, £130 spent now is £170 saved later on when you've got an itchy mouse finger.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Ive got the 2007 Heckler with float r standard shock fitted. Got coil 454 Pikes up front. It does everything i want of it, from trail centre stuff to big mountain days out. Ride Golspie and Laggan regulary and it eats up the drops with ease. No quarms about the float r shock. Ive had it since new, and had a pre 07 Heckler with coil fitted before this one. Got to say I like the float.

I bet you rebuild your 456 as well ;), thats what i did. Both great bikes

Any excuse to post a pic

mildred

The basic Float R is a very underrated shock. They're very robust and easy to setup. If you're a fit and forget kinda guy, or someone who can't be bothered fiddling, then I'd say stick with it and save the cash, or go on ebay and get a cheap Vanilla coil and have that pushed for you, so you've got both a DH & XC shock.

dickie
    Free Member

I'd recommend a Heckler too – love mine. As above, mine has the large air can RP23 but it blow's through its travel very quickly therefore a common fix, which works for me, is to fill the outer air sleeve with grease to reduce air volume.
    Lovely bike, simple single pivot maintenance, not to heavy & handles very well.

coastkid
    Free Member

my heckler had the large air can float shock,when the shock stuck i sent it to TF tuned and they swapped it out for a regular size can,and it was alot better after that and recommend getting it done,Tim Flooks said it was a fault with alot of the large can floats, heres some pics of it,quite light with hope stuff,XT gears,

and i did have alot of fun on it 😮

thatscold
    Free Member

I see Stif have reduced their prices on the new 2011 Hecklers, are they the best place to get one, or is anyone else doing them cheaper?

stompy

Swapped the RP3 out on mine for a DHX5……. night and day difference.

Not the lightest bike in the world but the weight of a bike never really bothered me, surely quality of ride is the more important factor??!!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Tomahawk, nice ride, is that a pure racing dropper? How is it, would be fitting one if i go for it.

Chipbutty, would love to keep the 456 but only have room for 2 bikes and need the commuter more, so 1 has to go.

Stompy, i agree the ride is more important, would be nice to keep it light though.

So i take it, its good enough for all day, one bike does it all duties assumming built suitably?

Will go for the rp23 i think, i have the money now, so why not, cheaper in the long run.

Cheers Rob

rich-6
    Free Member

I'm not sure if this'l work but i'l give it a shot, This is mine just cleaned up after last week in Scotland, Got to say its the longest i've owned a bike, I love it. I've even given it a fresh lick of paint lol

Its ace in the jump parks and seems to take whatever i can throw at it, I'm now looking into having my pikes tuned too to make it even better 🙂 and they have the usual leak that needs rectifying.

Its got the standard rear shock, Float R i think, In the two years i've had it its had a new set of seals when it packed down just after i got it and thats all i've done other than keep it clean and lubed up, Fit and forget 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

coastkid does the smaller can prevent prevent the travel blowing through so quickly? Other than not getting stuck down is there any other improvement?

coastkid
    Free Member

i think the shock was greatly improved and didnt blow through as quick, dunno if it was the change of can or the TF magic :o,
    they can revalve them to reduce this if you jump them alot, my mate reckons my air pikes were too soft making it pitch on its front on steep roll ins…im 5ft 11" and found the medium quite small, i would buy another again but only after having a shot on a large frame,it would also have a coil shock and fork and polished finish as the paint wore quickly…
    im now missing it a bit reading all this! 😥

juiced
    Free Member

ok thanks.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Ye… it is a i900 dropper. I have had two of these and both have been worth it for me. When i get on it, i don't like to stop to put my saddle down etc. Minimal slop, service it every once in a while to keep it smooth. I went for feel with my bike also and find it never disappoints! 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Heckler Owner's’ is closed to new replies.