Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Heart rate monitors, advice needed
  • rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Want to get a HRM for running and roadbike, but know nothing about them. What do i need and how much will i need to spend?

Thanks

atthesummit
    Free Member

Depends on what you mostly want to use it for – for years i used a polar watch type number for running which was great and simple to use although cant do all the tracking stuff that a modern one can by uploading to your pc

I now use a garmin edge on the bike which tracks not only what your heart rate is but where you have been

Oh and budget is a big factor of how many buttons you get to play with

I have my old polar one in a drawer somewhere if you want a cheapie to play with (needs a new strap and is a bit beaten but still works) to see if it is something you will use and justify the exspence of a new one

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I'm sure others will be along with more sage advice, but IME running and bike ones are slightly different mounts / requirememts.

I had a cheap one that loose signals from the heart strap irratingly often. Running ones on the bike are ok but you have to take your hands off the bars the see the readings – or strap it on the bars.

In the end I'm happiest with a garmin forerunner 305 that's slightly bulky for running but great on the bike with the optional bike mount (download routes, shadow laps, totally waterproof, crashproofs, cadence, heading….). In the 18 months I've had it there hasnt been one dropped signal and lasts 8+ hours on a charge etc.

If I had to look at a new one now I'd stick with Garmin.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

For a basic HRM, Polar are best, but aren't cheap. I have an old F11 which is very good – I use it for both running and biking (You can bodge a bike mount – I got one with an old Nike Triax watch). My Polar watch has lasted 3 years, compared to my old Nike watch which lasted 6 months.

Garmin have the edge in terms of features, as they have built in GPS etc. However the straps aren't as good, and I have never really needed the GPS stuff – you usually know how far you have ran / biked anyway. They are also even more expensive.

shedfull
    Free Member

I'd recommend the Garmin Forerunner 305 as I'm using mine with HRM strap and bar mounts for all my bikes. I'm on my second year of running marathons and using the Garmin for riding and running. I dump all the rides/runs into Sporttracks (free) on the PC. The Forerunners convert easily between riding and running but the Edge series seem to be fairly fixed on riding.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i bought mine from tesco!!! lol £10 think.. does what you need.

HRM
    Stopwatch
    Clock
    Average HR
    Max HR

Bingo Bongo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Heart rate monitors, advice needed’ is closed to new replies.