Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Heart attack at 42, will I die….
  • dirtyboy

1st run at bpw yesterday, and felt a bit shit halfway through, thought the can of monster I’d smashed on the uplift bus was giving me the jitters.
    Got to the tunnel and felt properly crap
    Went to the visitors centre had a cuppa felt worse, curled up in my oppos vw transporter and arranged for the missus to collect me, anyhooos went to the doctor this morning he says go to hospital now, I go to hospital they do ecg and BP and bloods and admit me straight away. Seeing cardiologist tomorrow morning. Bit of a wake up call fair play

racefaceec90

i hope you feel better soon.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Hope all is well, good luck for tomorrow.
    Stay well clear of those Monster drinks now!

mooman
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. Proper scary I can imagine.
    Friend of mine had a heart attack at 27yrs old … he is still very overweight, smokes, drinks and does not exercise … he is still alive 17 years later…

qwerty
    Free Member

Sounds like a silver lining to a dark cloud. Great you’ve had a diagnoses and are now in the right place.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

42 and drinking monster? should know better

dirtyboy

Yeah the monster was just to get me a bit more revved up as I felt a bit lethargic
    Definitely a lesson learned

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Not good the old ticker. I had a scare last year, which was heightened by the use of energy drinks. Not touched one since!

Best wishes to you mate.

deluded
    Free Member

My mate suffered a heart attack last year at 41 years of age. Very fit lad (tidy amateur boxer in his day) – kept in shape doing circuits in a boxing gym. Cause was uncertain – either an undiscovered PFO (hole in the heart), a blood clotting condition or combination of both. He’s made a good recovery and now back at work.

All the best.

ourmaninthenorth

Bad luck dirtyboy. Heal fast.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Will you die? Yes, I’m afraid it’s unavoidable. Hopefully no time soon, tho’. Good luck for tomorrow.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate drove himself to A&E after coming over funny. Turned out he’d been living with a quarter of his heart not functioning – county level rugby player, qualified rugby coach, canoe instructor, ridden C2C.

Better to be checked and fixed – my mate is fine now, and hopefully you will be soon as well.

nickc

bloody hell what a thing to happen! good luck hope it goes well tomorrow.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Glad you’ve been seen by a medic.

hope you get out on that bike with a healthy ticker soon.

shermer75
    Free Member

Good luck tomorrow, well done for taking yourself to the doc’s. You’re in good hands now!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Good luck, better to pick these things up sooner rather than later when your hearts not as strong.

slowoldman

Old Mother Slowoldman had two heart attacks and eventually died – years later of something totally unrelated.

So your chances of recovery I would say are good.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t worry about your heart, it will last you as long as you live.

W. C. Fields

richpips
    Free Member

My dad had a heart attack in his early 50s, smoker drinker.

He died aged 83.

Having said that a mate of mine, fireman, cyclist etc. died aged 47 teh other week.

So I say 50:50

ton

good luck mate. hope you get sorted.

dirtyboy

Thanks all for your kind words

CountZero

Heart attack at 42, will I die…

My dad did. 😐
    He was a smoker, had a thyroid condition, and people were much less aware of the symptoms forty-plus years ago.
    Good luck, you got seen to before things went too far.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Damn, scary stuff. You’re in the right place though – they’ll get you sorted. Very best wishes – keep us informed.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Bit of a wake up call fair play

In what way was it a wake up call? Are you a smoker or overweight? I guess if you know you have lifestyle issues this will give you the motivation to sort it out.

Drac

Best of health and recovery to you.

dirtyboy

Don’t smoke don’t smash the booze any more 6’3 and about 15 and half stone, so I don’t know really

hora
    Free Member

Glad you caught wind of this OP. Whats your lifestyle food etc? Any markers? Did you drink the night before BPW?

twonks

I had one at 37 – 6 years ago.

On tablets for ever now but not really stopped me doing anything in life.

If you wish to have a chat to somebody who’s been there please feel free to send me a mail.

Main thing is for all people moan about the NHS, when things get potentially serious they are generally on the ball so you’ll be looked after.

Good luck 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

my dad had his first age 32. – stress induced and not helped by a 20 a day habit – although very fit and active guy. – it cleared its self naturally just as the paramedics were going to use the 1 time use drug they have to clear them. and after weeks and weeks of testing they came out with “your heart is as fit and healthy as ever” and take him off all meds.

roll on 10 years.

he has another 3 heart attacks in quick succession. – first one, then gets put on meds told not to stop them under any circumstances – then when going for scans a different doctor tells him to stop all meds as is protocol for the scans – my dad didnt question his “do not stop meds” …. cue heart attack in my car as im driving him to the scan. They sort him out , we get him scanned at a later date then they are playing with his meds again as hes always tired on his meds – and he has another. They end up fitting a stent and diagnosing a hole in his heart.

that was 8 years ago.

He still has his own building and construction business – in a hands on the tools capacity.

He climbed Kilimanjaro last year quicker than many of those in the group that trained for it.

He no longer smokes(nothing motivates you like that , he stopped over night) , his diets changed alot since and his give a shit o meter is calibrated much lower now…. its rare to see him stressed at all now its all a bit “meh so what” (thats a good thing), he took up cycling and hill walking too.

dont give up , dont admit defeat. You can still live an active life style and do the things you want to do.

and to echo what twonks said – i cannot fault the NHS at all in any of this their response and the quick response from the paramedics on all occasions is most likely the reason i still have a dad.

hora
    Free Member

Smoking is behind lots of nasty stuff that happens to your body. I quit on the spot after years of trying when my Doc sat me down and said ‘these annual winter chest infections, how do you fancy having them more permanent one day’?

Upto that point I thought it was just bad, wet cold weather/one of those things as I was very fit upto that point. So I quit on the spot.

Then promptly put on 2 stone 😆

dirtyboy

Didn’t drink the night before, had a curry and light breakfast, just had an aching jaw and chest when I got to the tunnel at bpw, and couldn’t pedal for sh1t.
    I need to change my diet and exercise more that’s certain

dirtyboy

Oh and I got made redundant 2 weeks ago so that hasn’t helped I’m sure, so if anyone is looking for a air conditioning/refrigeration electro mechanical gadgey With 26yrs experience and a bum ticker get in touch

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and in answer to your question – yes. But there’s nowt unusual about that. 😉

Midnighthour
    Free Member

A friends father had I think either 2 or 3 heart attacks in his 60’s. Never had one since. Quite physically active after the attacks, keen walker etc. Now in his early 90’s and still out and about!

Drac

nd to echo what twonks said – i cannot fault the NHS at all in any of this their response and the quick response from the paramedics on all occasions is most likely the reason i still have a dad.

deluded
    Free Member

dirtyboy,

How you getting on mate?

jamj1974

Best wishes for a full recovery OP!

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re too tall, you need to lose height. 💡

My friends who survived the first one are still going, those that didn’t survive the first one are dead.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Smoking is behind lots of nasty stuff that happens to your body. I quit on the spot after years of trying when my Doc sat me down and said ‘these annual winter chest infections, how do you fancy having them more permanent one day’?

Upto that point I thought it was just bad, wet cold weather/one of those things as I was very fit upto that point. So I quit on the spot.

Then promptly put on 2 stone

Excellent post!

dirtyboy [/i]
    Take care, unwind and have faith in the boys and girls in the NHS.
    I hope someone keeps the NHS in intensive care, too.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Get well soon!

Been there too with a dodgy ecg.

Was frightening at first but made changes to diet and lifestyle.

Hopefully you just had angina and will recover.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Heart attack at 42, will I die….’ is closed to new replies.