Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Cigarettes
  • iolo
    Free Member

The amount of people I saw outside the main entrance of the local hospital (many in wheelchairs) in their pyjamas in January smoking was quite shocking.
    I’m an ex smoker. I would sometimes drive 2 hours to get to work and in that time it wasn’t unusual for me to smoke a whole pack. Then all day on construction sites. Then 2 hours home. Constantly smoking. Tried many times to quit. Then my mates mum got lung cancer and died not too long after. That was the kick in the balls needed to get me to stop. I put one stone on within a month.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Quit a few years ago, but still want one when I see someone else doing it.

What stops me is knowing the pleasure from a fag will never compensate for the self loathing if I crack.

Fair point about it being a pretty shit addiction. The high is pretty rubbish.

myti
    Free Member

Always seems like a particularily crap addiction. Not a very good high, hugely addictive, very damaging, not even cheap or socially acceptable… Might as well stick to coke

No a real coke addiction is worse. My friend is and earns near 40 thousand a year with no dependants and is broke all the time and off sick a lot.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Smoke 4-10 a day really does me no good. I used to despise smoking when I was younger. But drunk 4-5 pints every day. Now I smoke but hardly drink. Yet my health has deteriorated.

Hoping to quit or at least cut down this year.

Cougar

If they gave a shit, they’d ban them (which is exactly what they should do).

It’s exactly what they shouldn’t do as the market would just go underground. People would feed their habit with illegal imports and counterfeit fags, which are almost certainly even worse for you and don’t raise shedloads in tax.

The only way to ban smoking would be to increment the minimum age, year on year.

Cougar

Hoping to quit or at least cut down this year.

I never really understood this thought process. 4 a day and you’re “hoping” to cut down?

I had the same internal dialogue with myself about drinking a while back, the sure fire way to cut down is to just stop buying the things then you can’t be tempted to “just have one” because you haven’t got any.

iolo
    Free Member

I just quit. End of. Lots of chewing gum helps. Normal, not that nicotine rubbish.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Drac how do i change my email. that one went to the wifes email as i did not have my own when i joined.

Drac

It’s a bit buggy but you change it account seeings, of that doesn’t work email the tech chaps and they will help.

tech@singletrackworld.com

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

Always seems like a particularily crap addiction. Not a very good high, hugely addictive, very damaging, not even cheap or socially acceptable… Might as well stick to coke

If only people were more rational in their addiction decisions

Northwind

I wish I’d made the same assessment before becoming addicted to carbon fibre and internet forums tbh

integerspin
    Free Member

20No6 @ 19p or 1/2oz old Holborn 18p and a packet of Rizlas 1p.
    I gave up a few years back;-)

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Is carbon fibre an addiction or a habit.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Used to work in a Pharma business and was told by some bloke in a white coat that nicotine is significantly more addictive than heroin or cocaine when tested in clinical trials (that must have been an interesting clinical trial) yet the high is significantly lower? Worked for Rothmans for a while as well and all employees got cheap fags!

wrecker
    Free Member

You could try helping yourself instead of expecting the government to do something.

Yeah, quitting is well known as being a very easy thing to do….

It’s exactly what they shouldn’t do as the market would just go underground.

So? Just ban them. This would be the single act which would result in the most people quitting. The black market nature would see the prices skyrocket so we’d be no worse off than we are now. Unless you care more about the tax take than you do about people’s health of course., then govt would have a little less money to play with.

Check me out, gobbling off to two mods in one post 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But we’d end up paying to treat people for smoking related diseases without the tax raised by their causing it in the first place.

Check me out, gobbling off to two mods in one post

It’s a careful balancing act, as is the guvmint’s job in balancing how much they want people dying a bit earlier from tabbing versus the tax they raise.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Smoking is a ridiculous addiction.. It’s a crap stinking hit that’s almost guaranteed to give you a chronic degenerative illness. It’s going to make you very ill and knock years off your life.
    Explain to me again why you smoke?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Smoking is a ridiculous addiction.. It’s a crap stinking hit that’s almost guaranteed to give you a chronic degenerative illness. It’s going to make you very ill and knock years off your life.

That’s a remarkable new insight. Have you considered applying to be a special advisor on health policy? They could really use your skills.

Explain to me again why you smoke?

Because I’m addicted. (I don’t smoke by the way, but I did once upon a time.)

wrecker
    Free Member

But we’d end up paying to treat people for smoking related diseases without the tax raised by their causing it in the first place.

As would any measure that tried to reduce the number of smokers.
    You’re not wrong at all, but let’s not pretend that the high taxation is a method of reducing the number of smokers. It’s a way of making money from addicts and nothing else. If people want to smoke, they’ll find the money just like heroin addicts and alcoholics do.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If people want to smoke, they’ll find the money just like heroin addicts and alcoholics do.

So it’s best to keep them inside the taxation circle isn’t it?

As would any measure that tried to reduce the number of smokers.

Then we’d pay less for treating them, wouldn’t we?

wrecker
    Free Member

So it’s best to keep them inside the taxation circle isn’t it?

So tax is more important than health?

Then we’d pay less for treating them, wouldn’t we?

But we wouldn’t have the taxation……….
    A yahoo, how’s the family darcy? All ok?

Cougar

let’s not pretend that the high taxation is a method of reducing the number of smokers

It’s discouraged some, certainly. Whether that’s intentional or not I don’t know, I suspect the main reason is “because we can.” Luxuries should attract the highest taxation really.

wrecker
    Free Member

” Luxuries should attract the highest taxation really.

Tax Organic and non GM food then?
    Let’s be honest, smoking is most popular amongst those who can least afford them. It’s very a regressive tax IMHO.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So tax is more important than health?

Yeah, course it is… 😆

(Not really of course…I have no idea, it’s a discussion that could run and run…)

Family Darcy is all good…how about family wrecker?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Luxuries should attract the highest taxation really.

Why?

wrecker
    Free Member

Family Darcy is all good…how about family wrecker?

Dude, wrecker jnr just turned one! It doesn’t seem long ago you were giving me babymaking tips 😉
    I’ll drop you a pic later.

binners

I find nothing motivates me more to want to pack in than some sanctimonious, self-righteous, condescending, patronising lifestyle guru, from the Ivory tower of their perfect world, with all their perfect lifestyle choices, stating the obvious.

wrecker
    Free Member

For the record, I wrapped 3 months ago after 20 years. I am using ecigs but have reduced the nicotine content down to 0.6%. I’ve previously tried pretty much every aid known. Patches, gum, spray, tablets from the docs. I have never tried anything so effective. It’s a temporary thing; I have a plan to drop them in a few months after further reducing the nic content.

taxi25
    Free Member

The amount of people I saw outside the main entrance of the local hospital (many in wheelchairs) in their pyjamas in January smoking was quite shocking.

If your a smoker your still a smoker whether your in hospital, a wheelchair or whatever 🙁

cloudnine
    Free Member

I find nothing motivates me more to want to pack in than some sanctimonious, self-righteous, condescending, patronising lifestyle guru, from the Ivory tower of their perfect world, with all their perfect lifestyle choices, stating the obvious.

Way up here on our high horses most of stw cant smoke even if they wanted.. The wind blows out the matches when trying to light up

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wrecker if you are sending out pics of you baby making then copy me in 😉

Luxuries should attract the highest taxation really.
    Why?

OH tough one this- warning wild stab in the dark – is it because they are not required to stay alive and are optional purchases and /or indulgences that only wealth can enable?

Binners I am available for hire if you need 1-1 “support”

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker if you are sending out pics of you baby making then copy me in

You joke. But I have some………

wallop

I smoked rollies for years. There was therefore never a financial motivation for giving up.

Then I took up cycling – that was pretty good for making me realise what a daft habit it was. So I read the Allen Carr book and haven’t smoked since. Not a single cigarette in three years.

wrecker
    Free Member

Pretty sure I have a copy of the Alan Carr book. If anyone wants it, let me know and I’ll send it on.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

4 a day is due to work to not being able to during work hours. If I’m kept busy I don’t smoke. Again when on a the bike I won’t smoke. But I do enjoy two cigs and a brew first thing.

Smoke follies so £50 a month max. Less than some people spend on a night out on the booze.

busydog
    Free Member

When I was in the Navy (US) in the 65-68 time frame, we were able to buy brand-name, sea-store cigarettes from the ships commissary for $1.00 a carton or 10 cents a pack. No wonder almost everyone on the ship smoked.

Xylene
    Free Member

10 years on and I still have the odd dream about smoking, and wake up thinking I am again. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t take much more than a pack to rescratch those demons.

That might just be my personality though, as I dream about other previous vices and I know that road can be so easily traveled again.

mudshark
    Free Member

Tax Organic and non GM food then?
    Let’s be honest, smoking is most popular amongst those who can least afford them. It’s very a regressive tax IMHO.

Keep the basics tax free and ramp it up for 2 seater sports cars I say. Do we want to ban smoking? People would carry on illegally right – as many do now. So high tax helps stop people starting along with campaigns, reducing the places where it’s allowed and minimising the marketing that cigarette companies can do. I think we’re doing pretty well on this really but there are always some who’ll be attracted to narcotics and then get addicted, no free state can stop that.

hels
    Free Member

Soooo, we should ban cigarettes ? Seems a backward step, when decriminalising and regulating (and even taxing) illegal drugs is seen as progress. Has anybody asked Russell Brand about this ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Cigarettes’ is closed to new replies.